main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Bought Them All - the Figures, the Ships, even the LEGO! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 8, 2012.

1. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Definitely. Shatterpoint is probably my favourite Star Wars book (Lost Stars is a close second) and one of my favourite books in general. Stover took a risk by portraying Mace as violent and gritty. The ending was incredible.

As far as disappointing reads go, I don’t have many. I generally find something to enjoy in every Star Wars book. That said, I wasn’t too impressed by Last Shot by Daniel José Older. I’m still going to give Midnight Horizon a chance as I’ve heard positive things.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I know I liked Midnight Horizon I hope you do too

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Both "Midnight Horizon" and "Fallen Star" were slow build up books. Both were excellent. I enjoyed "Last Shot" I thought it was highly entertaining.

Got my copy of "Trail of Shadows" and read it. I desperately need those last Adventures comics :( Guh it's going to be Hellish waiting for Phase III.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Dannik Jerriko and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  4. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I haven't got Trail of shadows yet

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    It was good and yet again not satisfying because it's also left on the big cliffhanger.

My hapless days of free spending are at an end. My car that I've been holding onto since 2007 finally has reached a point where it won't pass emissions. I need to replace it :(

6. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    OH :( sorry about your car

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Thank you. I knew the time was coming.

Finished "Cestus" this weekend - good book, the short story was good as well. Onto "Jedi Trial" and now am working on "Queen's Hope" in earnest.

Several new books/graphic novels coming next month. I still need to hunt down a nice copy of "Conviction" - grrrrrr. At least I did get refunded for the one that didn't get sent.

Has anyone read the Republic Commando books? I have the last one "Order 66" but not the other 3. Are they any good?

I also have a few random Old Republic books, from what I've read they're mega, mega dark. That's not my Star Wars jam. I was thinking of trading them at a used bookstore. I don't need EVERY book out there. lol

8. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Jedi trial is an amazing book I hope you like it:)

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Post lady brought an Amazon UK order containing SW: Queen's Hope (along with a few non-SW books) earlier today.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm not very far into it, but it's Ok so far. I just ordered a Hardback copy of it to replace my paperback that I'm reading.

My copy of The Star Wars Archives Episodes I-III1999-2005 just got paid off and will be shipping out! Woot!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh, yeah, Jedi Trial is not great in the slightest. Among the 5 worst Star Wars books I've ever read.

What Old Republic books do you have? There's only one that's particularly dark (Revan), the rest are average tone for Star Wars.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    So far Jedi Trial is very military techy, which judging by the writers of the book they seemed to be experts on that, but it's OK. I'm also reading "Queen's Hope" so even though one is Legends and the other is Canon - they read well together.

Let's see I have Revan, Fatal Alliance, and Dynasty of Evil. I got them in a lot that had other stuff in it that I wanted.

I'm also kind of meh on the X-Wing series of books. I recall starting the first couple and gave up because they didn't capture my attention. I probably should just pick up the new versions of them and try again at some point. I don't have too many of those.

13. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Revan, Fatal Alliance and Dynasty of evil are the Darkest of the old republic books

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Lol of course they are.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Those are the Stackpole ones, which personally I also find a little meh. The Allston ones are fire though, especially Starfighters of Adumar.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Someday I can revisit those, I'm basically rereading all Star Wars fiction now, ignoring everything I'd read decades ago. I have PLENTY to read w/o that and the Old Republic book series to keep me busy, because you know once novels are done - there are billions of Dark Horse, IDW, and Marvel...oh and Titan publishing comics to read also :p

17. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    When are the Titan comics coming out?

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah so I recently picked up this oddball graphic novel that arrived yesterday? I didn't know what it was actually other than Ki Adi Mundi was on the cover. Looks like Titan Books was connected to LucasBooks back before/around the time of the prequels. Maybe it was international? Not sure. The artwork inside is really detailed and nice.

I'm wondering w/ Dark Horse coming back if they'll be taking over re-releasing their old comics rather than Marvel. [face_thinking][face_thinking]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Titan is just a British publisher that reprints American books, at least for LucasBooks. Prelude to Rebellion was the first prequel comic from Dark Horse, and the first entry in the Republic series.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh thank you! I'm just sort of letting my fingers do the shopping since I don't overly know what's what in the world of comics. I collected original Marvel comics when I was a kid (can't remember what number I started getting them but I know I got them until the end - they're buried in my chaos of a SW room at the moment) and a lot of the pre-prequels Dark Horse comics - but then I dropped off after that. So pretty much everything from prequels on I don't know up from down with what's what. I do know Marvel is republishing Dark Horses comics - or they have been doing so. I just get lost trying to figure out what would be in what collection. What isn't in what collection :(

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well the omnibus collection might be the best way to tackle Dark Horse's output. They also reprinted a lot of early Marvel stuff, and from what I hear their books are better built than Marvel's current Epic Collections.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Ok so I guess that I'm not 100% lost - I have educated myself on the different collections out there, it's just a case of knowing what titles are what - what publisher is better to find things on? I really want to get all of the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics, figuring out what's what with those isn't easy. There are like 5 or 6? huge DH omnibuses that I guess I need to hunt down, and of course some of them are not cheap.

I have a combo of both of them. I've got 4-5 omnibuses and about a half dozen of the Marvel Epic Collections. I'm very easy on my books, I try not to crack spines. It is easier to read the Epic collections since they're bigger than the omnibuses and they're not as thick so they're easier to hold. But I'm not picky if I can score good deals on the Omnibuses I'll pick them up. I'm working on getting the Dark Horse omnibuses of the old Marvel comics collections.

I can thank Christie Golden for this mess. After reading "Dark Disciple" I became obsessed with Quinlan Vos and started hunting down his comics and after months of getting crappy condition graphic novels I finally got a gorgeous one of his Omnibuses in like new condition for like $25, then things have just snowballed from there :p

I'm seriously contemplating ordering that enormous Doctor Aphra collection that is coming rather than trying to make heads or tails out of the billions of collections out there for her. (Speaking of which Barnes and Nobel has a coupon for 25% off pre-orders today - that brings that collection down by $31.50.)

23. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
  24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    You're welcome. I just put it on pre-order. The savings on it allowed me to get the Hardback of her dramatization book.

25. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018