main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I do not like the concept of the chosen one

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    One can believe in a prophecy and not believe it will come to pass in one's own lifetime (or even have any idea about when it might happen). I doubt Qui-Gon was actually *Looking* for a Chosen One until he found Anakin.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's revealed in ROTS what the prophecy is and it is resolved in ROTJ. How hard is that to understand?

And he is that, but he also has a destiny as well. The films are all about destiny and what path will you take on the road to self-discovery. Anakin's destiny was to bring balance to the Force, but he takes a detour because of a selfish desire. Luke's destiny was to become a Jedi and redeem him, but he almost follows the same path as his father. Rey's path is to rebuild the Jedi Order and stop Kylo Ren.

You can tell him apart because he's played by Liam Neeson. :confused:

He's training Obi-wan because he's a teacher and that's his job. And he hasn't been searching for him, he finds him by chance.

He wasn't seeking him out, but he had recently been made aware that he was destined to do something great and had completed a series of tests that would allow him to retain his identity. He hadn't gotten far into his training when he was assigned to handle the Naboo blockade.

3. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Its the worst concept of the entire SW saga, standalone films included. The chosen one/immaculate conception/midi chlorian rubbish is SO hard for me to watch nowadays. I cant stand it. I block it all out from my imagination, and never watch the prequels because of it.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and jajje like this.
  4. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Well, then you'll find all the answers you need in this thread to re-consider your position... ;)

The sad part is that it's superfluous to the actual storyline, cut it all out, and everything in the movies practically stay the same. Introducing the Star Wars Saga to my nephew (9 yrs old) I've realized that GL can't even trick the kids who watch the movies for the first time. They have the same questions as young Anakin and don't buy the answers provided on screen by the (dull and boring) Jedi. Not that Kenobi was sparkling and on fire in ANH, but at least it made sense for him to take on Luke without a Prophecy and midi-chlorians and whatever.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Tosche_Station likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's very Biblical. I love it.

DARTH_BELO and Tosche_Station like this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas wasn't interested in trying to trick anyone, with the PT. The whole twist came about because of the circumstances involved in getting one movie made. Once he had the room to do more, he could branch out and explore the universe more. But his true feelings came to the surface when he openly spoke about how to view the Saga.

"If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

It's a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive movie making. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

"It'll be a very different experience, because when Darth Vader walks into that spaceship with the princess, they're going to think, 'Oh my God, that's Anakin!' and they're gonna see Luke and think, 'Oh my God, that's his son!' And rather than a surprise when he says, 'I am your father,' it'll be like, 'Oh my God, finally he's told him!'"

--George Lucas, Guardian Unlimited interview.

As to nine year old kids, I highly doubt a nine year old is going to be asking, "Who came up with this prophecy and how reliable were his predictions?" And if a nine year old cannot buy what Qui-gon said about the Force to Anakin, then they're not going to understand the same thing that is said by Yoda to Luke. Both Jedi are saying the same thing, which is to quiet your mind and you will know right from wrong via the Force.

DARTH_BELO and Darkslayer like this.
  7. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    I think Qui-Gon should've let us in on the midi-chlorian count for Obi-Wan! And probably that's the reason he took him on. Like only being a mentor for the A-students while the rest ends up with the second-rating Jedi Masters. It's really a shame that we never get to know any of the other Jedi that train their students (in the films).

(Having watched three full seasons of Rebels now I really appreciate the arch of Kanan and Ezra. And as far as I can remember Ezra does not need to be a result of any Prophecy or Kanan actively looking for him.)

And for those of you debating the intentions of GL - do try to watch the movies with kids of different ages and you'll get a broader understanding of the concepts brought forward.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He took Obi-wan on because the Council assigned him to Qui-gon. Just like they assigned Ahsoka to Anakin later on. The Masters didn't always choose their Apprentices on their own accord.

I don't need to watch it with a kid. I was a kid when I first saw the OT. There were just as many confusing things in those films, as there are in the PT. Young children do have limited comprehension and learn more as they grow up. Watching the films in different orders won't change that. Not unless the child is a prodigy who already reads at a twelfth grade level, by the time they're eight.

Drew McWeeny, of Hit Flix, did a review of the Blu-Ray box set, back in 2011. He was going to show them to his sons for the first time and while he didn't show them 1-6, they had no trouble understanding the prophecy and Midichlorians. One was in second grade and the other was about a year from being in Kindergarten. His oldest son pontificated more on Anakin's actions which lead him to becoming Vader, after seeing ROTS and before seeing ROTJ, than on who came up with the prophecy.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

DARTH_BELO, jajje and Deliveranze like this.
  10. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Yeah, you've been warned before (just last page) for this tiresome act.

/heels

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    This is horribly done...What the hell(not aiming this at you). These people, for some god forsaken reason, can not discern what is Christian and what is Jewish.

The concept of the Messiah is not something as generalist as other pagan cultures had it nor does it boil down to “virgin births”. Sadly, because people don’t understand the Bible as an eastern book in which language and culture was Hebraic/Israelite; no one will find understand it...

End rant/

El Jedi Colombiano and Alexrd like this.
  12. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Luke did not destroy the Sith, it was Anakin. Once Anakin saw his son dying, he fought the Demon Vader inside of him and destroyed Palpatine. Luke played a part, but didn't destroy the Sith.

Only thing I disagree with