main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Don't Feel Very Welcome....And Yay For Me....

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Korppi, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korppi

Korppi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    I know I'm probably not supposed to post this here but where else am I supposed to put it? The JCC? I don't think so. I made one statement there and it seems everyone is directing or implying things from what I said. I did not realize that the JCC was a 'joking around sort of board.' Seriously, now I feel unwanted there and everywhere else on here. I also feel that I am unwanted due to being an environmentalist and animal rights activist. It really hurts. Seriously, what they were talking about in that thread made me extremely upset.

All I want is someone to talk to, but I barely know any of you here and I don't think you want me to talk to you :( If I were to put what I am saying here onto the JCC board, people would ridicule me there and be rude and mean. I will not state which thread it was nor the people involved, that wouldn't be right.

On another note, my birthday is tomorrow(the 30th). Though, I doubt anyone cares here because I am a newbie. I doubt anyone here would care if I never posted here again too :( I'm probably not going to have a very happy birthday...

I hope this doesn't become locked.....As I said, where else am I supposed to put this?

Edit: Locked on author's request.

2. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    Hey! Welcome! I the JCC board is kinda an "insider" board, so don't worry too much about it. (The people there are aliens ]-}) Just kidding! There are a TON of nice people here, just don't let that first bad experience worry you too much.

Happy Birthday and hope you enjoy your time here! MTFBWY!

3. JediMasterAmanda

JediMasterAmanda Jedi Master star 5

Sep 7, 2005
    no worries Korppi. I've had tons of bad experiences, but have pulled through and in the end I'm always happy to be here, whether staying or returning. if you need to take a break from the site that's understandable, but please come back if you do. you are very welcome here. And go you being all environmentally and animal rights. I simply adore animals so I am with you on that.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The WNU is far nicer; we're the "Welcome New Users" board for a reason. ;)

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Disclaimer: The following statement is my opinion only, and the experiences of others may differ.

The YJCC is a horrible place to post. People go out of their way to insult, tease, and anger others. Unless you are into being mean spirited or wish to talk only about superficial and/or shallow topics, then that is not the place for you. If you instead wish to have a bit of fun, talk about star wars or other topics in a more laid back and friendly atmosphere, stick around here or go here.

For what it's worth, welcome to the boards. Please don't form your opinion based on your experience in the YJCC. It is the unwashed armpit of this site, it stinks and most people don't enjoy getting too close to it.

6. Korppi

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks! Ah, I never realized that. I wish I did before I had posted there. Ooops. There probably are nice people there, but they seem to have been covered by a few of the mean ones.

Thanks! [:D] I'll probably enjoy it once I get over this :D

I'll always come back. There's like this magnet pulling me here XD Aww thanks [:D] Yeah, that's why I want to protect them.

That's true... Did you just edit your post? o_O I could've sworn there was more....

Yeah, I have experience first hand D: From what I have noticed, I agree with you. Thanks, I'll go check that out^^

And thanks, it's really appreciated. Well, my opinion will probably change once I settle in more. I like that description of the JCC. Unwashed armpit LOL I'll probably avoid it for the time being.

Oh, and you guys don't mind if I watch you do you? It's not that I want notifications, I just want a list of people I could talk to. Like an address book or something. Or maybe a friends list^^

7. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    Oh oh! Since you're a fellow animal lover check this out! It's a newer breed of dogs and I simply adore them already. [face_love] If only they weren't so expensive I'd get one now.

And yes, you can put me on your watch list. I view the list as a friend list myself.

8. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Welcome to the boards, Korppi! :)

Like the others have said, the JCC is a rather unique place... please don't let it scare you away. [:D]

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Oh, Korppi.[:D] Please don't let the YJCC folks scare you off the boards. The other posters have given you come very good advice and I'm sure you'll be getting more.

I hope you have a wonderful birthday! Are you doing anything special to celebrate?

10. Korppi

Apr 26, 2009
    That is a nice dog! My mom would probably want one since she likes huskies and whatnot. We are planning on getting a dog one of these days :D

Aw thanks!! [:D]

Thanks!! I'll probably get over it sooner or later -_-

I'll get over it :) Yes, I'll have to thank them for that. The advice is appreciated.

Thank you!! Probably not. I'll just be celebrating it with my family and a very dear friend of mine :D [:D]

11. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    I love Tamaskans! [face_love] My brother and his girlfriend want to be breeders of them and I'm gonna force him to give me a pup as the only b-day present he'll ever have given me. :p I already know I want a girl, wolf-grey one. :) I dunno what I'll name it when I do get it though, but I probably have a few years until then.

Oh and happy birthday!!! *gives you cake and ice cream* in case I'm not around tomorrow(so much to do!)

12. Korppi

Apr 26, 2009
    They're such beautiful dogs [face_love] I like a lot of dog breeds. Like Bernese Mountain dogs and Shiba Inu. I wish I could get my brother to get me a gift. Then again we haven't gotten each other b-day gifts in awhile XD Oops...

Thank you!! [face_love] [:D] *Eats cake and ice cream*

13. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Happy birthday! [:D]

I baked you a cake.

[image=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v170/jennsan/raven.jpg]

14. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    It's really great that you started this thread letting us know about your experience instead of just turning around and going away, Korppi. :)

I just can repeat what my fellow poster said above. This forum has many boards and every single board has its own culture. Some are easier to join and for some you need time. The YJCC is a board where people love to joke and being sarcastical. So discussions are often different. But nowhere at this forum it's allowed to flame a user. If this was the case, then I would suggest to send a PM to a mod (colored people linked in most headers) and let them know. They will take a look and take action if needed.

If you like to hear my advice, I would suggest to stay in WNU for a while, since WNU is really friendly, and then visiting other boards by lurking first and posting later on. Whenever you feel something's going wrong, come back and enjoy this place (and/or let me or any other mod know).

If you like to hear more board suggestions, feel free to ask. We have a ton. ;) :)

You're definately not unwelcomed! [:D]

15. Korppi

Apr 26, 2009
    Thank you!! [:D] That's one epic looking cake :D So epic looking I want to preserve it LOL And thanks again!!

Yeah, I usually flee when this happens, or make the situation worse >.< This time I decided to actually say something. I found no problem with the other boards actually. It's just the JCC. Yeah, I noticed. Seriously, I don't know where some get off on bashing newbies. Like sheesh, they were newbies once too. I think they need to show a little empathy and try to see how it feels to be the person they are picking on. I kinda get defensive because I was verbally bullied and ignored when I was younger(grade 12 was the best year of my school career) and I was sexually harassed(verbally) by a troll on deviant art. Others helped me get him banned, I am greatly thankful for that.

To tell you the truth, I was a little afraid of pming one of the mods there. A couple of them(from what I saw) didn't seem to be friendly at all :( Ok, I'll take your advice ^^

And thanks!! oh, I added you to my watch/friends list the other day :D

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Hi Korppi! :D

You know, it's not unusual to feel unwelcome when you first join a site. After all, does anyone feel 100% comfortable on their first day at school? Their first day at basketball practice? Their first time on a date? Their first time driving a car? (I've never done either of those last two, so I'm just going by what others have told me. I'll get back to you when I've dated and driven. :p)

But with time, and with patience, I promise that you'll find yourself fitting in somewhere in no time! Just pick a group of people that you seem to click with, and start talking! Introduce yourself, post around in a forum that interests you, talk to someone you think shares your passions.

That said, I wouldn't advise diving head-first into a board that you are absolutely clueless about. Read the opening post to find out what at thread is about, and read the posts before you to acquaint yourself with the "feel" of that individual thread. Knowing what you're talking about, or looking like you know what you're talking about, can make you look, and feel, like less of a n00b. ;)

The YJCC is a touchy subject. Some avoid it altogether, some post there sparingly, and some come to this site just for that specific forum. Personally, I don't find it evil, but it is a place where you should be careful. They're a close-knit community over there, which can be a good thing or a not-so-good thing. The remarkable relationships that have formed and endured in that forum, literally for years, is astounding, but can make the posters seem arrogant and unfriendly at times.

Perhaps they don't make such a huge effort to make newer users feel welcome, but I can assure you that they aren't out to get you. Trust me. [face_laugh]

No, I don't frequent the YJCC, but I don't avoid it entirely. But I do speak from experience. I, too, am part of a close-knit online community (not on the JCF) that I joined long before I came to the JCF, and we've endured so much together, and because of each other, that it's hard to imagine other people joining our "group". So, when I see the YJCC posters turn sort of a cold shoulder toward a newbie, I can understand where they're coming from.

Still, with time, you will find yourself at home here.

Feel free to PM any of us if you need anything. We're here to help. :D

Happy birthday!

- QGR

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Awww, Korppi. [:D]

So you've had your first traumatic brush with JCC? No worries, I think many of us have. Hell, it's kind of a rite of passage on the TF.N boards.

I too had a nasty, humiliating experience when I first started posting there. (Basically, I broke the cardinal rule of JCC and was discussing Star Wars over there! :eek:)

I took a lot of flack for that because I couldn't tell the people were joking. I thought I was the laughingstock of the JCC that day. But I had PM conversations with several of the people involved afterward, and things turned out alright. In fact, one of the guys previously picking on me was then helping me out. (However, there was one girl whom I tried to PM to smooth things over, but she turned out to be a complete ***** instead, even over PM.)

As one of the guys who PM'd me said, in the JCC "you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." ;)

So yeah, you can't really take anything there seriously. About the only thing I do in there is just joke around and let my caustically sarcastic self come out there in ways that would never be permissible elsewhere. If you decide to start joining in on jokes over there, I promise people won't even remember your rookie mistakes from yesterday. Heck, a lot of them are longtime friends who simply make fun of each other all the time. Still, even though I do join in a lot of the jokes, most of the time I'm simply ignored over there. >_>

So the JCC has been great for me to just dump jokes, but I do find that almost anywhere else is better for actually making friends with people.

And nowhere is better than that than the WNU! (Seriously, WNU is pretty much the antithesis of JCC. It's like the difference between Jedi and Sith. :p)

Also, if you ever need a friend, you're always more than welcome to PM me. [:D]

Oh, and since it's your birthday and you're an animal lover, I give you the pleasure of looking at my black lab, Lindsay!

[image=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/therewster1996/Lindsay.jpg]

18. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Awwww, what a cutie, Rew!

Lexi - that's an amazing cake! Can I hire you for cakes?:cool:

Korppi - I'm really happy you are taking this so well. Hang in and have a wonderful day.[:D]

19. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Absolutely! I can google cakes, ehm, I mean bake cakes for you any time. :)

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Btw... Happy Birthday! :D

21. Korppi

Apr 26, 2009
    Qui-Gon_Reborn - Oh yes, high school was like that for me, and everyone else with me probably. Never dated, but I've driven :D

I actually feel comfortable here in the WNU, people are actually friendly here [:D]

LOL thing is I dive head-first into a lot of convos or threads anywhere, but the threads I usually dive into are friendly and understanding.

I'll probably just lurk for awhile in the YJCC for awhile until I feel comfortable posting there again.

-Sigh- The groups I hung out with in school and whatnot were inclusive, not exclusive. So I guess I just expected it to be inclusive too. That was a mistake.

Thanks for the offer!! And thank you, it's appreciated(the happy birthday).

Rew- Oh dear D: Yeah, I never bothered to PM them though. I was afraid they'd lash out at me for it :(

Wow, the guy really said that? o_O

I probably won't be. That place I kind of still find a bit, well, scary and chaotic. I guess it's better to be ignored than teased and ridiculed |D

Aw thanks!! [:D]

Thank you so much!! Aww, your lab is a beauty!! [face_love]

Jag4Me - Aw thanks!! [:D]

Lexi - LOL

22. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Korppi - good to hear you aren't abandoning YJCC for good. :) As others have stated, it's quite a different community than WNU and conversations are almost always tongue in cheek, and not meant to be taken seriously. Don't get too down on yourself for not having a good first experience. JCC does take some getting used to, with a vibe that is very different than most other forums here. But it can also be a very fun place to post once you understand it.

That being said, don't ever feel afraid to contact a JCC moderator if you think someone is acting out of line. We are all very helpful people. :)

And happy birthday!

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    D1 and a few others may have been a bit uncharitable towards the JCC, and that's likely a reflection of their past experiences there. It's worth pointing out, as QGR said, that the entire board is one close-knit community, and as such, can appear almost incomprehensibly unfriendly to some.

The JCC thrives on humor. That humor takes various forms: in-jokes, personal relationships, political humor, satire, paronomasia, vulgarity, literary allusion, and so on. It requires a thicker skin, and you're just going to have to learn to take things with a grain of salt--you care about animals, but you have to realize that people will push your buttons as a consequence.

That's the way it goes. If it's not for you, it's not for you. However, if you are feeling flamed and harassed, the first thing you need to do is contact a board mod. However much the mods play along to to the board mentality, they're here to help. But they can't do that if you don't ask, can they?

24. Korppi

Apr 26, 2009
    Skiara - Thanks, it's appreciated! I didn't realize you posted before I did XD

Grimby the Hutt - :D I've already started to bounce back from that experience LOL Next time I'll be sure to contact one of you :)

And thank you! [:D]

GrandAdmiralJello- Yes, I've noticed. -Sigh- My brother used to and still does the same thing. I should have known and just ignored it...It's really hard though.

No, you're right. I never asked so I didn't get the help I needed. I've always have had a problem asking questions from others. So I see you mods as somewhat the authority figures around here. That's why I was afraid to ask. And well, my lack of trust :(

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    If you don't feel comfortable to contact a moderator (about which I would be sad), there's a second way to get help: Get adopted! Then you can ask your master for advice as well or you can ask him directly, if you should contact a mod. Maybe this makes it easier for you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.