main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming I Don't Pick Fights I Can't Win: The Fire Emblem Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ramza, Jun 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You mean Revelations is the "real" story?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not only is it the "real" route, but various occurrences retroactively imply that you 100% ****ed up if you were on the other routes, basically like getting a true ending in a multi-ending JRPG. It's... gross, considering it's DLC only (and bracketing how the original two game model was already a bit malarky). Coupled with the fact that it's one of the weaker games in the franchise anyway, plus the fact that mechanics from Awakening that don't make sense anymore wound up shoehorned in, and there's a reason Fates isn't looked upon kindly these days.

Edit: And, yes, you'd better believe I'm worried about that DLC house in Three Houses for similar reasons. They seem to have learned all of their lessons? Maybe?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, appropriately enough, there was a third option ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Which mostly just emphasizes how cynical the entire pricing model was, yes.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Three Houses gave you four routes for the price of one. So far I am liking Fates though.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Haven’t been putting much time into FEA as I haven’t been using my 3DS as frequently in favor of the Switch when I travel. But it’s too cold to be lugging the Switch around with me around the city so I decided to bring the 3DS with me for the train in to see ROS (again) in full IMAX.

And good thing I did- I finally beat that (second to last, I think) Chapter I was having trouble with last time I checked into the game. Turns out all I had to do was bite the bullet and swap out poor, magic-vulnerable Fredrick for another mage to help counter all the long range green magic attacks.

I don’t believe I’ve completed a Chapter yet without him, but he was a liability and it had to be done. Ended up making the battle easy not having to protect him or swap him in and out (though I did have one close call when the CPU tried to hang up on Ricken but he made it). Tiki w/Chrom support made short work of Aversa/the boss. Now onto the finale, I believe...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You'll know. The music is a hell of a giveaway. :p

God I love that song. It's exactly what you want to happen when you tell the composer "This may be the last final battle theme we ever get. Make it count."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I always used Frederick. Love me some Frederick.

I am on Chapter 19 of Fates: Birthright. Definitely not as good as Awakening but I am still enjoying it.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW- with FEA, if I finish the final Chapter (Endgame), can I still go back to the Paralogues I haven't finished yet afterwards?

Indeed. Having that tank has always been useful up until now, where his lack of resistance became an issue.

[​IMG]

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, you'd have to load an old save. You should do them first anyway or you'll miss out on those characters' epilogues.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    solojones and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So I finished Fates: Birthright. Not as good as Awakening, but still very fun. I have started Fates: Conquest and the difficulty spike was immediately noticable. I am on Normal Casual for now, but I am not above switching to Normal Phoenix later on if I have trouble.

Oh also, I got Echoes for Christmas... And I had already bought Fates: Revelations. Soooo yeah, I still have a lot to go :D

I also got my brother Three Houses for Christmas, since it was on his list and was my game of this year. The only TRPG he has played so far is Mario Rabbids, which is where I was when I played Three Houses. I hope he likes it as much as I did :D

Any opinions on order to play the routes in? I wasn't sure what to recommend to him.

Ramza likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think #DeerSquad gives the most balanced overview of what the game, and really the entire franchise, is about, so it might be the best starter. Strong personalities, decent distribution of default units, broad overview of events. They’re the most “Fire Emblem” option. I like where they go with the other three routes but I think they’re more experimental, and by the time he gets to those he’ll probably have opinions on what to play next anyway.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I started with Golden Deer and was tempted to tell him to do that as well. Partly because I think having ranged units helps.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, with Byleth joining Smash, an interesting detail arose during the presentation relevant to my earlier inquiry in the thread: Sakurai essentially broke down the history of the series counting through every title (in binary!) with FETH listed as number 17 (ignoring spin-offs like Satelleview, TMS#FE & FEWA but including remakes and FEH).

So, according to Sakurai:

I: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
    II: Gaiden
    III: Mystery of the Emblem
    IV: Genealogy of the Holy War
    V: Thracia 776
    VI: The Binding Blade
    VII: The Blazing Blade
    VII: The Sacred Stones
    IX: Path of Radiance
    X: Radiant Dawn
    XI: Shadow Dragon
    XII: New Mystery of the Emblem
    XIII: Awakening
    XIV: Fates
    XV: Heroes
    XVI: Echoes: Shadow of Valentia
    XVII: Three Houses

Of course, Sakurai doesn't make the FE games, so that's not technically developer-official, but they included it in an official Nintendo presentation and he is the guy who is basically responsible for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the games on that list even existing in the first place thanks to Melee, so it gets some credibility ;).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So Heroes counts? Whatever, Sakurai. :p

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean, it is a full game with a story that technically connects to almost every other game in the franchise. Say what you will about it, but at least it includes the weapons triangle! :)

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually I apparently had Heroes mixed up with Warriors. Carry on.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

So it looks like the DLC quest is a lore dump side campaign with new recruitable students for all routes. Neat.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I went ahead and purchased the season pass. I think I will play this new side story and then replay Golden Deer. My brother started the game yesterday and chose DeerSquad for his first playthrough, partly at my suggestion and partly because he liked Claude best. Duh.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Me: "I'm tired of FE main characters."
    Also me in this hypothetical: "I main Siegfried now and if he's ever not in future SSB games I will riot."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So my brother finally started Three Houses. Luckily I was there for his first several hours of his playthrough to help kinda walk him through all the many systems and emphasize what's very important (like don't forget to watch your Support cutscenes when they come up! The game never actually tells you to do this, it just assumes you know how important supports are).

Well today he told me that he started playing 3H last night at 7:30, and suddenly looked up at the clock and it was 11:30.

Got'em, boys.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Since I finished Ocarina of Time, and since the Three Houses expansion isn't out quite yet, I started Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Was pleasantly surprised to find it's fully voiced unlike the earlier games.

24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I remember some of the missions becoming something of a slog. The enemy would spam adds from the back of the map, I’d spam my own adds with Genny, just a tedious mess of units that didn’t matter dying all over the place.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So you're saying it's faithful to the NES Fire Emblem experience?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    mnjedi likes this.