main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming I Don't Pick Fights I Can't Win: The Fire Emblem Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ramza, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Just in time for all that New Game + targeted DLC. :p

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Well, that's my first playthrough finished. Got to say I don't regret picking the Black Eagles and I'll definitely consider it my canon playthrough. Taking down both the Church and the nobility? Sounds good to me.

I really liked the little "what happened to..." bits at the end as well. Some surprising but enjoyable pairings I must say.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeaaaah, well I didn't buy the DLC luckily. I was thinking of getting it if they release new actual story content, like a whole new arc or something. I would definitely play that. I don't think I'd replay just to get a few new playable characters or outfits, though.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So I have started to really dive into Awakening..liking it so far, though I miss the opportunity to mingle in a set base like Three Houses.

Speaking of, Three Houses is up for Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks. It has my vote already. Definitely my game of the year.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I listened to the podcast this was first mentioned on, but, apparently, a few 3DS projects were shuttered when Nintendo shut down Alpha Dream following the bombing of the 3DS remake of Bowser's Inside Story. One of which was another Fire Emblem remake (I would presume it would be a continuation of the FE Echoes imprint). Speculation is it could find its way being repurposed for Switch.

No info on what game would get the treatment, but one assumes it would be one of the other early games previously unreleased in the west.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I want that to be a Genealogy remake on the sole condition that Imran Khan's speculation is on-point and they put it on Switch. Because otherwise I think my heart would break.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, at this point, any remake would have to go to Switch because, well, where else would Nintendo put it? 3DS is a legacy support system as of this year. At worst any remake would be an eShop-only download but there's no way Nintendo would pass up the chance to milk fans like myself who would gobble up yet another special edition box set. ;)

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean more in the sense that I'm worried they may have just axed it entirely.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I know the numbering of the FE series is funky due to them counting remakes and cancelled projects, but it would be nice to have at least one version of every game in the series either released or remade for worldwide audiences (because once that happens they'll just get rereleased forever as time goes on and be accessible by future gamers).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Ramza likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's less "the numbering is funky" and more "the numbering doesn't exist." It was always a fan thing, and if it weren't for the fact that English language information clarifying this was so lacking for so long it'd be looked at with the kind of odd but understanding glance you give to someone who insists on calling A Link to the Past "Zelda III."

For example, in the US this was just Fire Emblem, in Japan it was Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken, the fans call it FE7 to "distinguish" it (I'm guilty of this myself), but, well:

[​IMG]

Note the distinct lack of a 七 anywhere on that box.

Consequently, there isn't a uniform standard, and you get odd things like remakes being counted. It's mostly fading out of fashion as the series keeps going, and we'll all be better for it. :p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    *I* still call it Zelda 3 :p. And LA was Zelda 4. It's like how Super Metroid is still Metroid 3 & Metroid Fusion is still Metroid 4 ;). People stopped numbering them around the time OOT or MM came out- mostly due to the Oracle games kinda making things hard to track.

I actually think FE would be better served with a numbering system. Most things are :).

From my brief research, it seems that, while numbering was initially a fan thing, it was eventually adopted internally by the developers and Nintendo, with each being given Series No. 0XX designations and these are what began to include the remakes. But then there was a question of what # Awakening was because they added a number before it initially excused to be the BS Satellite game content but later admitted to being a cancelled Wii title.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You should be highly skeptical of any theory coming out of SF, in particular one that assumes a Nintendo/IS convention is based on something from the western internet fandom - most interviews tend to indicate they do not understand the western fandom in the slightest, much less want to copy our numbering schemes. :p I think it's more likely that numbering was used as a placeholder during development if no title existed, which is why it gets "weird" immediately after the remakes (which, being the first "officially" numbered games in this bizarre narrative, should already be a red flag) and "never" included the cancelled BS title.

As for whether we'd be better off with official numbering - yeah, maybe, but Nintendo clearly isn't interested in official numbering, so portions of the fandom continuing to insist on the release order numbers strikes me as a combination of losing battle and gatekeeping hokum. I'm not a fan.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not gatekeeping- I just don't want to have to look up and stare at multiple wiki pages for 15 minutes every time I want to try to figure out what games are remakes of what games ;).

As for the BS & Wii titles inclusion, i was going off of this link. Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem were labeled Fire Emblem 11 & 12 in their code, with the Fire Emblem site listing it as "Fire Emblem Series 011" **. But then Nintendo started advertising their numbers in the series one higher than expected (ie: Shadow Dragon and New Mystery became 12 & 13) for everything above FE5.

A developer interview stated that the "Ah, that. (laughs) Well, there was a version of Fire Emblem released for Nintendo’s Super NES Satellaview service in Japan in 1997. If you include that, then Awakening is the 14th Fire Emblem game." and this lines up with Awakening being FE14 internally. A Making of FE book developer interview later revealed the BS excuse ([face_laugh]) was covering up the cancelled Wii game: "Incidentally, that was the 13th work. I was not aware of it [at the] time, but that’s a rather ominous number huh?", even though, officially, it's still the BS game as 13.

So, it's a mess and probably won't be ironed out ever, but, still. I kinda just want a more useful, official, reference list and numbers would best facilitate that given the varying titles, translations and remakes. Especially if they intend to continue the Echoes series brand.

ie:

FE1: Shadow Dragon, Shadow Dragon and Blade of light
    FE2: Echoes: Shadow of Valentia, Gaiden
    FE3: New Mystery of the Emblem/Archanean Chronicles, Mystery of the Emblem
    FE4: Genealogy of the Holy War
    FE5: Thracia 776
    FE6: The Binding Blade
    FE7: The Blazing Blade, Fire Emblem
    FE8: The Sacred Stones:
    FE9: Path of Radiance
    FE10: Radiant Dawn
    FE11: Awakening
    FE12: Fates
    FE13: Three Houses

(that's just my best interpretation based on that guy's info)

**But, hey, at least they're forward thinking and expecting at least 100 FE games to be made eventually with that numbering format ;).

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Which kind of inadvertently exposes the problem with this idea: it's not that clear cut. For example, half of Mystery of the Emblem ("FE3") is also the original game, so it trips up at the gate. This is the sequence of direct sequels a numbering scheme imposes:

1/half of 3 -> (2 but no one cares) -> half of 3 -> millennia of nothing important on the main continent -> 11
    First Act of 4 -> 5 -> Second Act of 4
    7 -> 6 ("Where did Mark and Lyn go?" you ask? **** you, that's where.)
    9 -> 10 (Finally, the FE equivalent of the DMC2 situation)

And people had a conniption about FFX-2! :p

Edit: Anyway, somehow I got on this tirade train despite my real desire being to drool about the outside odds of a Genealogy remake that incorporates the plot and levels from Thracia into one big Jugdral epic, just do it you cowards it's all the same engine.

Also real talk that's the only way I'd ever replay Thracia, ugh.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, i know its not clear cut, but I think you could dismiss any "we included stuff from other games again in addition to the new game" as being more akin to DLC or prologue bonus content since the new stuff is really the part of interest for numbering and remake purposes. It doesn't have to be a precise timeline, just a general overview of the series.

Either way, more remakes are good- numbered or otherwise ;).

(Actually, no, screw that- remakes better keep the Echoes subtitle- I need some organizational brand consistency, dammit! :p)

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think the 4th DLC wave has actual story content. Speculation is either a side story or another 5th path. That would be fascinating.

I have the season pass but I’m not doing my 3rd play through until all the DLC is released. I don’t want to burn myself out — two runs in a row was already a lot.

Silver Snow is definitely preferred over Crimson Flower for me — although I got weirdly little background lore. I guess I’ll have to do GD next to get the actual lore, which is weird.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am definitely keeping an eye on whether they might have a fifth route or a story expansion of some kind. Because THAT I would buy the heck out of.

I would love love love to see a remake or two on Switch. Preferably using the lovely engine developed for Three Houses.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I agree, I suspect a lot of folks agree, but we may want to brace ourselves for the possibility that "Echoes" was just supposed to mirror "Fates" from a branding perspective. Which would double suck because the hell with Fates.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Guess who has one more battle left? That's right, ya girl is gonna finish it tonight and put Ramza to shame :p

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I took like an extra two weeks to beat Awakening because I rerolled every possible spouse twice so yes, please beat it faster than me. :p

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Lol you weirdo. But yeah, I finished Awakening. And I decided

to sacrifice Robin to ensure Grima doesn't come back.

Now I am gonna start Fates: Birthright to begin with. Then Conquest, then Revelations.

I also just bought a copy of Shadow Dragon. So I can finally know Marth as more than just a mythic or Smash Bros. character :p

Ramza likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wow, my condolences. :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    solojones likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Made it past the decision point and started Birthright. Liking the world so far.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Been going through the Smash soundtrack, franchise by franchise. The Fates song (in both Japanese and English) certainly stood out amongst the 5,000 remixes of the FE main theme ;).

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Now if they had just remembered to make anything else stand out, or be engaging, or not lock the true route behind the DLC-only option...