main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I got a cat

Discussion in 'Community' started by I Are The Internets, Nov 7, 2020.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Every toy I've ever bought my cats remains neglected , they just look at them with disdain , they'll play with everything else tho.
    And boxes of course , no box ever unoccupied.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    PCCViking, harpua, Toddy and 2 others like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I use boxes to cover her crate at night. A sheet is a bad idea because she could pull it in the crate.

poor yorick, Toddy and Juliet316 like this.
  3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I bought this for my indoor cat so she can have fun outside. She loves it.
    [​IMG]

4. Toddy

Toddy Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2016
    Chewy Pet Supplies has it absolutely right: on every one of their mailers is the tagline, “Oh boy, a box!”

Rew and poor yorick like this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That reminds me, I need a cage for my woman

gezvader28 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Sugar and Cloud love these things:

[​IMG]

They used to be just $1.80 for 10, so I got them 100 of the things. This is because while springs can keep them busy for up to 45 minutes at a time, each spring lasts approximately 5 minutes before it vanishes into the aether, never to be seen again. Since you have only one kitten, perhaps each spring will last a whole 10 minutes.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    These little catnip mice are Diva's jam. She leaves them in my shoes.

[​IMG]

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and poor yorick like this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    My guy used to yowl outside my bedroom door at 5 am wanting breakfast. I broke down and let him sleep with me. Now he waits until seven before doing a tap dance on my stomach. I've only needed to use my alarm clock twice since the pandemic. Mr C is very punctual.

If it accidentally falls on the floor, it's a cat toy. If you put it there for them, they couldn't care less. My guy is into "snakes" too, and tries to play with my shoelaces when I'm getting dressed. He also likes to play "mouse in the bed," so he can't come in when I'm making it. I do put the wand under the top sheet and let him pounce on it after I've finished making it.

Whenever you move out of your current place, you are probably going to find ALL of them, LOL!

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the kittens are cramming them behind some disused access panel we don't even realize is there, so one day someone will open it and have a heart attack when 100+ plastic springs leap out at their face.

My old girl Mei-Mei is not normally interested in toys, but she does have a thing for this bath brush I have. She likes me to wave it around so she can bat at it, and then catch it and scrub her face on it. It's very cute, but now my bath brush is full of cat hair. :(

PCCViking, Juliet316, Rew and 2 others like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Catnip mice didn't last long with my cats. They loved them but vacuuming up the catnip after they shredded them wasn't fun.

PCCViking likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My 17-year-old cat will howl at 5 am sometimes just to make sure he can still do it. So we get this exchange:

“Meow.”
    “Boots!”
    “Meow!”
    “BOOTS!”
    “MEOW!”

*sigh* Dammit I’m really awake now...

PCCViking, Juliet316, Rew and 3 others like this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    my cat likes to wake me up every night at 4am to go out, and then again at 5 to come in. it's my biggest *pet* peeve. okay someone shoot me.

13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    my two cats are indoor cats, they are both cute and awesome

edit, those indoor cat tent things that @vin posted might be fun for them

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Are you sure he's not deaf, like mine?

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My cats were indoor cats as well. The road in front of my building can get busy and a former neighbor lost a very young cat due to a car. (He was a sweet cat as well. I liked him). Also we get foxes in my area at night.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Because her previous people declawed her, Diva is mostly an indoor cat. We take her outside a lot, though. She is leash trained and loves going for walks. We also let her roam freely and stalk birds.

17. Toddy

Toddy Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2016
    Peacock feathers are the joint favorite toy of my two boys: they’ll position themselves on either side of a door and POUNCE! from both sides at once, tugging the feather back and forth until somebody reaches through the jamb to give the other a good swat.

Beyond that, their tastes diverge. Sam is the more refined of the two—definitely a smoking-jacket-and-slippers type by nature, but he’ll go wild for a good catnip toy (the best of these, in my experience, are made by Yeoww!: sturdy fabric, good stitching, no clean-up except to brush the cat fur off occasionally).

Charlie is all boy and likes to roughhouse, so he gets ping-pong balls to chase, and he tears around the house in hot pursuit.

ETA: Yep, my two are also indoor-only. Charlie might enjoy leash-walking, given the chance. But I am afraid this will turn him into a door-dasher, and we live on far too busy a street.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I had a cat when I lived in the US that would walk on a leash. Unfortunately he died pretty young - had feline luke.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've seen too many disembodied cat heads left by coyotes and cats dying horribly from infectious disease or injuries for my cats to be anything but indoors.

EDIT: Not to mention the devastating effects cats have on local wildlife.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    We don't have coyotes in Amsterdam but my cat Johnnie did die from a horrible infectious disease. He was 11.

But he just loved being outside. He lived for it. I still think he lived the life he wanted to have.

harpua likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I got my two cats as kittens and they were kept inside so they didn't know any better. Both loved to watch the birds in the garden through the window though.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah my cat was like 4 when i got him from the shelter and keeping him inside was really not an option. i did force him to stay inside for the first few weeks, i was a bit worried he would run off if i let him out too soon. we do have raccoons around where i live, which is a bit worrisome, but my cat is the most cautious creature i've ever met.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I lived in an area of the US that had raccoons. My parents used to let our cats out during the day but they kept them inside at night. I don't recall any of the cats falling victim to a racoon.

24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    All the cats I’ve owned were strays that adopted me. Eventually they all became indoors cats, I still take them outside, but I have to be supervising them.

Coruscant and Juliet316 like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I had a couple of cats from the local shelter when I lived in the US but the kittens I got here were actually from a co-worker's mother's cat. Cat had 4 kittens. Family kept two and I took the other two.