main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I got a smart watch for my birthday. UPDATE:You know what - I’m tempted to try it

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Dec 9, 2021.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Am I ungrateful?

I don’t get them. What purpose do they serve? I don’t wear watches, I was probably expensive, and I’m more than happy with my phone. What is the point of a smart watch?

2. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    You could always sell it, take that cash and buy what you want and just.. say to yourself thats what they bought you.. i got an ipod shuffle 2nd gen for xmas once and literally couldnt use it because i had no PC to get music on it (that i kinda didnt want one).. yeah. sold it to my brother and bought some ps2 games.

I didnt tell them of course, and they never noticed it was gone or i didnt use it. It was nice but again, i was 10 with no pc in my house something the buyer knew yet still low key wasted like... $80ish on it..but i still got $80 worth of games out of it so eh... thank them for that..[face_shhh][face_shhh]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Coruscant and Darth Punk like this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    You’re not ungrateful at all. I’d reckon that any/all things that can be done on a smartphone can be done via a smart watch; it’s a just a convenience thing, I guess.

Darth Punk likes this.
  4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Both my daughters have one because notifications on the phone are just ignored but the buzz they get off their watch isn't

Plus it means that when I call my daughters, as they have their phones on silent they now get a physical alert and they actually answer

It's a stupid solution for an issue that "shouldn't" need to exist but as my eldest has ADHD it's a massive help for her as unless she's actually doing something with her phone it may as well not exist and my youngest just outright ignores her phone.

Personally I don't see the point in them for me but in the case of my eldest, it's a godsend

Darth Punk likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Children ignoring their phones!? It’s a modern miracle!

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    - When you lost your smartphone you can hit the watch and your phone makes a loud beep.
    - It reminds you that you did not make enough steps today

Runjedirun and Count Yubnub like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Buying a smart watch reminds you that you’re not smart.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes. Yes, you were.

9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Ease of use, basically, with your phone staying in your pocket for a range of possibilities.
    On the other hand, I'll admit I was creeped out by the gesture of someone who used it to show their vaccination pass' QR code the other day (but that's because I've had the honor, and troubling experience, of quite a few former KL/VL inmates showing me a tattoo on their wrists...)

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ease of use, step counts, workout recording and timing. I also have mine set to display the weather.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I was totally unconvinced on smart watches until I started consistently using contactless credit card payments. A smart watch could save me precious seconds getting my smartphone or wallet out to pay for things, and those add up.

To minutes.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Give it to your daughter.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

“Ah doont wont ett!”

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Happy Birthday!

I don't get them either. My wife wanted to buy me last Christmas or for my birthday back in February, but I also don't wear watches so thankfully she didn't.

Darth Punk likes this.
  15. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    My family got me one and I only ever use it for running. It’s such a redundant device.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I dated a woman a couple years ago that had one and every time it went off she'd glance at it and then look at her phone and scroll through that for a minute.

I wound up hating her for different reasons but yeah...

Also I could never wear a watch. Or bracelets. Or rings for that matter. Makes me wring my hands just thinking about those uncomfortable annoyances. Ugh.

Kiki Jinn and Darth Punk like this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Swap it for one of those Dick Tracy watches.

Kiki Jinn, Darth Punk , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    It’s well known that the only way to get rid of a smart watch is to destroy it in the fires from which it was forged.

I might be thinking of something else but I’m pretty sure I’m not.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    You can also nuke it from orbit.

I bought my wife an Apple Watch for the selfless reason that I wanted to observe someone else using it for a while in case I ever considered buying one. A big part of our marriage is her testing out consumer electronics for me.

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Everyone I know who was gifted a smart watch - including myself - had the exact same feeling as you when they received it.

And everyone I know who kept their watch sees it as a necessity now. They have a level of affection for the wrist worn technology that they don’t feel for their phone.

A lot of that is related to fitness tracking. It changed my life for the better with the information it collects on my working out.

The watch also provides ease of use in different situations. I find it extremely helpful when driving a car. Everything from directions, to music, to phone calls & texts are easier and safer to manage.

Weather app on your wrist is very convenient. Same with alarms. Also the ability to silence the phone instantly and manage other setting. There are so many little functions that you start to use instinctively.

Lastly the ability to ping your phone when you don’t see it is huge. Can’t find your phone at first glance - an instant later it’s making a sound revealing it’s location.

Little things like that are so easy to do it becomes second nature. None of it sounds that essential until you are actually using it.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You can pass it along as an old family relic that no longer functions in four or five years.

Darth Punk and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just store it where Christopher Walken stored his.

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Does it measure your sexual performance ? is that what you're worried about?

25. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Re-gift it. Or sell it. I'd buy a switch.

TiniTinyTony likes this.