main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends I Hate My Job (JA, OC/Obi, angst, one post)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Good work. I enjoyed reading this. It shows the way of life of Jedi from a unique point of view.

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    tangled_sphere - Thanks. I thought this story was well and truly buried! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like to write odd things and I thought this would be a good POV. Thanks for upping it.

Keeper_of_Swords Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

3. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Awesome story!! Hardly ever read a story that conveyed so much emotion and information about the author's view of the Order in such a short time. I'm always interested in the workings of the Order from other's points of view and this is certainly something I've never thought about. I like the idea of none-force-sensitives living in the temple and how they see the Jedi ways. I also think your character is very well portrayed. Her situation is something you can adept to everyone's life, for example the hated job she has to do in order to make a living is something most people experience at least once in their lives.
    And this recuring topic about the dreams is very interesting, how her job is destroying exactly those dreams she had when she was a child.
    I liked the bit about Mace. I've always wondered how someone does react to meeting a Jedi in person, especially a council member.
    I'm a new user and your stories were recommended to me by Shaindl and I have to say that she's got a very good taste.
    I'm sure to read your other stories. This one at least is absolutely great!

4. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Indra Thanks so much for your comments. They are like water to a thirsty traveler!

I've been told on more than one occasion that I tell a story in detail with few words. I'm just glad that you enjoyed it so much.
    I often thought that the viewpoint of a non-Jedi would be interesting, especially if they went from hero-worshiping to the reality of the Jedi Order. It was fun to play in that universe.

I'm glad that Shaindl (hi Shaindl!!) recommended my stories. There are so many good writers on the boards. To get a good idea of the wide variety of talent, you should try and read some of the excerpts on the Winter 2003 fan fiction awards thread. If something piques your interest, just click on the highlighted words and read the rest. Here's the link.
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Writers_Resource/b10304/14395325/?33]Fan Fiction Awards Nominations[/link]

Good luck and happy reading...

5. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi Diane! :)

(they really need a smilie that shows a hand waving or something) :D

6. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    I know it's a bit redundant to say this, dianethx, considering the title, but...good job! :D

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Shaindl They could use a couple of different things other than the smiley faces.... an hand-waving one would be good, how about a tiny Millennium Falcon or an X-wing? Little lightsabers instead of exclaimation points!!

Musing Thanks. I enjoyed writing it. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

8. Lorax

Lorax Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2003
    Ha! Mini lightsaber exclamation points? That would be awesome!

I finally got the time to click on one of the links on your signature. This was wonderful! I never really thought about what it would be like to have to be the person who said 'Thanks for training your entire life. Goodbye.' I'd always assumed it was something the Council did. I really, really liked this and hopefully I'll be able to check out your other fics soon!

9. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    nice work!
    I really like the shiney head line-- I appreciate how you managed to make it serious and thoughtful without being depressing and angsty.

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Lorax - Thanks so much. I was surprised that you found this but it would make sense if you clicked on my signature! I'm glad you liked it. I always thought that the Jedi shouldn't have sent their own children away but, to have someone one else do their dirty work was not nice. Thanks for clicking.

PadawanRoo Thanks. I tried to make it understandable and serious because it is a pretty awful thing to do to the kids. Glad you enjoyed it!

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I found this via the newsletter and man i loved it. Reminds me of the guy in A League of Their Own who has to deliver the news of a husband's death. A little-known aspect of the Order and very well-written.

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks, Ishtar. I was quite surprised when Am reviewed it. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

13. Jedi_Cyana

Jedi_Cyana Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002

Poor Obi. Poor, poor, poor Obi. *sad*

Wonderful story, GO DOCENT!

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks, Jedi_Cyana Glad you enjoyed it!

15. mad4dos

mad4dos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    thanks dianethx

"I Hate My Job" is now archived on [link=http:\\www.mad4dos.com]mad4dos.com (for the main page [/link]

[link=http://www.mad4dos.com/ihatemyjob.htm] direct link to fic [/link]
    mad4dos

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was wonderful! I just found it, so excuse my tardy reply. Very well written (and who coudn't LOVE the shiny head line?). Anyway, excellent piece, great characterizations, love the humor. Poor Obi!Yeah, that job would pretty much bite.
    Kimberley

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks Kimberley. I really liked writing it and I thought it was a story that needed to be told.

18. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    You never know what you will find when you dig around the boards a bit and this is a real gem!

This was a great way to look at the issue of what happens to the kids that don't make it to the padawan stage. It does make you wonder if the parents knew that their children would be sent off to the Agri-Corps or Healers Association if they would still give up their kids.

I'd hate that job, too!

~ Jedikma

19. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Loved it! Great work!

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks jedikma I really thought this was truly buried. Glad you liked it!

VadersMistress Thanks. I'm always happy to hear from my readers.

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Highly original, and although it made me shed a little tear, I did enjoy it. That aspect of the Jedi has always bugged me, too, along with the whole idea of taking people's kids away.

I liked the way you characterised the Docent - kind of amusing in a dry way, but kind-hearted and then - towards the end - despairing. Great job. :)

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Tahi Thanks for reading this one as well. That aspect of the Jedi has always bugged me, too, along with the whole idea of taking people's kids away. I never could understand it either. To take children and then just discard them because they didn't meet some arbitrary rule or fit someone's idea of a good padawan was just wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

23. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    This story was vcery interesting because of the POV. I had never thought of that. Well written and very enjoyable (though sad).

24. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You're welcome. :)

Yes - I agree about the random policies. Dangerous and uncaring!!!

Good luck in the SFFA. :)

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Traxxis Thanks again!

Tahi Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.