main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have been up for 16 Hours, and need to go another 16. Any Suggestions on how to stay up?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Quickstrike34, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Just keep posting on these boards. If I want to try and stay up for long periods of time, I don't watch TV, listen to the radio, or do anything that involves laying down. These boards will keep you busy.

2. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    I was up for a good 42 hours just a couple of days ago :p

The trick is not to do anything that'll tire you out quickly. Just do something that will keep you busy or entertained, like on the computer. Avoid watching movies or TV, your mind will wander off as your watching it. Avoid having large meals, but have smaller meals more often, your hunger will keep you awake. Play some music to keep you awake, and not the soft soothing type either. Heavy rock all the way baby. Coffee/Tea/Caffine all comes in handy, though only drink around one of two a day, or you'll find yourself relying on it more and more. Avoid social contact with other people, family members and pets in real life, they will only get in your in your mission of staying awake.

I'll post some more when I get some sleep.

3. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    big boss nass is right.
    i've been up since yesterday afternoon.

4. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Sorry, got to address one thing first:

Not sleeping in LONG TERM could cause you to DIE... I am not kidding!

32 hours maybe fine... but more = Extremely dangerous...

False. No matter how hard you try, on it's own, your body will automatically get itself into the state needed to help you "recharge". Just staying up for long stretches will not kill you. You will feel bloody awful, but not dead. The length someone can stay up unaided also is dependant on a multitude of factors, both physical and environmental. It's only when people start using things to keep themselves awake that adverse effects are felt. Since most people use caffine or similar substances to stay awake, dehydration is a big problem, and that will stuff you up.

That said, don't try and stay up straight to get your body clock back in rythm. I shift work at times, and when I don't, I work nights, while most uni classes are morning ones. The easiest way to get your body back in synch is to just make sure that you follow the hours that you need to. Get someone else to make sure you're up in the morning, and if you have to nod off in the day, do so only for an hour or so.

Might not be as 'fun', but inherently better for you.

5. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    You can be really strange at times, you know that? [face_laugh]

6. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Quicky you still up? ?[face_plain]
    I have been up for about 12 hours myself...I live In Penssylvania...It is so hard to stay awake here...THERE IS NOTHING TO DO! [face_plain]

Anyway...goodluck Quick. :)

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    A DJ once stayed up for over 200 hours without sleep. He said he started dreaming while awake. In short, as Kadue has stated, your body will find a way to recharge itself. Now if you don't eat right while staying up that long then you will die.

8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think adrenaline is way better than caffeine. I can actually sleep after drinking a lot of coffee, if I'm tired enough. (And don't mix coffee & Vivarin or the equivalent . . . a friend of mine got caffeine poisoning that way).

A good way to get your adrenaline going is to grab a friend and go do something really bizzare for 36 hours. Build a boat out of pieces of old junk, throw it in the river, and then try to ride in it, no matter how completely crappy it is. Explore steam tunnels, sewers, or caves. Drive through the night on a mission to do something completely useless, such as make a pilgrimmage to visit the world's largest ball of string. Hide in a library until it closes down and you're locked in, then have elevator races.

You can kill the last couple of hours before you go to sleep by hanging out at Denny's, annoying your waitress with cryptic references to the bizarre thing you just did.

P.S.--I was once awake for 72 hours straight, and I started to hallucinate. It was kind of interesting.

9. death-sticks

death-sticks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    coffee, chocolate, pepsi, the works.

10. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    Well, Mesa is back :)

And I Actully did make, Plus an aditional 5 Hours or so! I'm suprised I made it as long as I did but in the end I actully wasent as Tired as I thought I would wind up being. Woke up some 13 Hours Later.

Thanks for all the Advice :)

MTFBWY all!

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Coffe you need Coffe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.