main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I have made enemies with a fly

Discussion in 'Community' started by AutumnLight91, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Is it true your cat’s name is Bernie Sanders?

2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    no its Lechiam

3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So I finally killed the fly using a towel. Yay

The next day, a new fly has appeared. Boo

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You lead an exciting life.

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    House Flies are attracted to light. You can use that to draw them into a particular room where they are easier to swat or even lead them out of your house.

I ordered a cheap four pack of telescoping fly swatters after a time consuming run in with a centipede. The right tool for the job makes all the difference.

I’ve had three occasions to use one. A fly swatter works so much better than my traditional rolled up magazine. The telescoping is surprisingly helpful. It extends long enough to reach the ceiling in any room without me having to jump. And it folds down for close quarters swatting in a shower. And the wide board makes it easier to actually swat a fly out of the air like a tennis ball.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Spraying them with any kind of house cleaner works the best. They don't see the mist coming until it's too late, and then they're unable to fly.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Smoking them out with a cigar can be fun! :p

9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Sometimes if the fly just sits still, I just take a used paper cup I have lying around and slowly move it over and trap it. Then I take a piece of paper or something and cover up the end, then take it outside and let it go. It's not that I care hugely about not killing flies...but in this case it's just less of a mess than smushing it.

BigAl6ft6 and Count Yubnub like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What do you call a fly with no wings?

A walk.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that next time. Does it work on big flies? Bet it’s great for fruit flys.

Reminds me of some peaches I bought that came with aggressive fruit flys. Those flys were damn hard to catch by hand. A few popped up while I was washing dishes. Trying to clap them, they stuck to my wet hands and forearms. After that if I saw one I’d just wash my hands and let the fly trap itself.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a peach.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    What do you call a retired fly?

A flew.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    same damn fly has been tormenting me for 24 hours, I thought it had crawled off an rightfully died somewhere but it's back tonight. and it won't land so I can swat them (one time it did was on my precious computer equipment when I didn't want to smash) Isn't it supposed to die off without resources or something what the hell.

I wish I could make this happen right now.

15. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, I remember this one time I caught a fly in a bottle, and stuck it in the freezer. About 30 minutes later, I see a fly in the exact same place. Huh? Did the fly somehow escape from the bottle and the freezer and come back to this spot? I go get the bottle...nope, there's a frozen fly inside. This is a different fly. I use the bottle to catch the second fly, and put it in the freezer. Another 30 minutes later, and there's another fly in the same spot. I do the same thing. I ended up catching and freezing 4-5 flies, all from that same spot on the wall.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, it works for houseflies. You just need to have a paper towel or something ready to kill them while they’re stumbling around. :p