main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I, Jaina Solo (The Great Chiss War)(Post-NJO: Jaina, Jag, Kyp, Jacen, Tahiri,more) Completed 2/23/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Very interesting - I didn't see THAT coming!

Anyhow, with the Vagaari now having taken the bait and attacked first, the Chiss were free to hunt them down and utterly wipe them out with a clear conscience? which they did.

Yes, I've always thought the Chiss "defensive" stance was suspect - and "convenient".

In retrospect, it should have been obvious what would happen, shouldn't it?

Should have been, and yet...

Great plot development.

**waits for more**

oldj

2. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    You're going to force me to reread Survivor's Quest! :p

I really enjoyed that book, but I can't recall all these details and you're just tormenting me with all these little hints and clues! =D=

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    owensby: Hmm, that's interesting. I just finished reading Survivor's Quest not long ago. Interesting way to work it into the story.

I'm glad it was fresh in your memory then :) Thanks for reading :D

spork: Hm...I guess so. But what happens if the spit is from someone on the top story of a building? Wouldn't it just burn a hole through the umbrella? And what if the spit is acidic?

That's why he wrote the book :p

*claims second post* Whoopdeedoo! I'm getting closer to first here!

Better luck next time :p

Are we channeling certain, recent real-life wars here? But even if you're not, that is so totally ralistically true.

No, I'm not. I don't really like it when people use Star Wars to editorialize about current political events. Takes them out of the fantasy, I think.

*blinks* But why should a GFFA Intelligence Director care about armament deals between those two? It has nothing to do with the GFFA!

If the Chiss are using SoroSuub to build up their arms, it should be a concern of the GFFA ;)

But I'm glad Dif Scaur ain't with Intel anymore. He was -is- a royal pain in the Hutt, and a real screw up.

Yeah, everyone hated that guy :p

As for Jaina being somehow involved...*drips sarcasm* You don't think?

Well, they meant really involved. I.E. knew about the Chiss' plans.

And this goes right back to the point about Jaina not having had any choice about being a hero, or in the spotlight from birth. Very nicely done.

Yup :)

*mouth drops open* Mara and Luke? Cause that much trouble? Force, that's scary!

She may be being sarcastic ;)

*more sarcasm* Luke? Not perfect? And here I was thinking he was the most perfect person in the galaxy!

:p

...er...The bad type of laughter. Not the funny joke type. Oh boy. Now I really hate the Chiss *hisses*.

Yes, the Chiss are evil [face_devil]

Thanks for reading and posting all your comments, spork :)

oldj: Very interesting - I didn't see THAT coming!

What? The post? :p

Yes, I've always thought the Chiss "defensive" stance was suspect - and "convenient".

Yes, it's pretty much Bantha fodder.

Should have been, and yet...

Jaina might be sarcastic here as well ;)

Great plot development.
    **waits for more**

Thanks so much :D Glad you liked it :)

TFS: You're going to force me to reread Survivor's Quest!

Sorry :p ... what am I saying, that book was pretty good. You should thank me! :eek:

I really enjoyed that book, but I can't recall all these details and you're just tormenting me with all these little hints and clues!

Nah, there's really no need to reread SQ, the important parts were said clearly: That Formbi manipulated the Vagaari in order to get around the "non-aggresion" stuff and attack them. The hints and clues are about things that I haven't explained yet :p

Thanks for reading :D

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    So the GFFA attacked the Chiss and then got their asses kicked?

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I happen to be related to both of them, but then again, my family seems to be wound into almost everything, doesn't it?

Royally correct.

Jaina's philosophical ranting is even scarier than what I write in my diaries (when I dare to do it).

BTW, since you wrote so much great Yuuzhan Vong stuff, I am inviting you to index your fics here

6. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    I like it alot. It seems very humorous yet still serious at times.

Post more soon! :)

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Spike: So the GFFA attacked the Chiss and then got their asses kicked?

Well, there's more to it, but you may be on to something :p Thanks for reading :D

Sil: Royally correct.

Literally :p

Jaina's philosophical ranting is even scarier than what I write in my diaries (when I dare to do it).

o_O *steals Sil's diary and reads*

[face_worried] *slowly closes diary and backs away* [face_worried]

BTW, since you wrote so much great Yuuzhan Vong stuff, I am inviting you to index your fics here

Thanks :) I already got a PM from Killik and I stopped by :D

Reva: I like it alot. It seems very humorous yet still serious at times.

Thanks, I'm glad that's coming through :D Bitterness can be funny, after all :p

Post more soon!

Will do :)

8. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Okay, I saw this, clicked, had to run out of the house, sent myself a pm to come back and read it and am glad I did so.

First of all.

You have a incredibly interesting premise. I love it. I'm so intrigued and I can't wait to get further into it so I can find out how all this happened.

Second.

Your method of storytelling is fantastic. You have a real flair for first person. What a great job.

~Carr

9. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    Ok...first off, the number of people who can do first person well is very small. Kudos for that!

Secondly, I loved this analysis:

Nieus P. Sovel? famed Sullustan writer, scholar, mathematician? wrote once that the essence of sentient life was the choices a being made. His feeling was that choices were more tangible than thoughts and really determined who a person was. "Every being can have nice and noble thoughts," he said. "Yet so many do wicked things."

"Choices have substance," he argued, "and can even be measured as height and weight are."

Sovel did this, mathematically reducing beings to the choices they'd made with a formula that I'm certain either made the Given writhe in ecstasy or snicker at Sullustan stupidity? I don't know which, but I'm sure they had a reaction.

I just finished writing a philosophy paper on free will and determinism, so I loved this part of the post. It?s a great way to write alien ideas of philosophy?just enough of the familiar that it can relate to the age old questions we try to answer here on earth, but with the mathematical twist to make it fit the GFFA.

Also, Sovel?s position is essentially an advocacy of free will, a libertarian position in the philosophical sense, and loosely linked to the Libertarian political ideas?any connection here?
    Thomas Sowell

Now, tell me how that choice is a measure of my being? How such a small thing as refusing to visit Csilla changes my entire fate? Why does it determine who I am when the weight of it couldn't be known to anyone?

That?s the butterfly effect for you, Jaina!

Anyhow, with the Vagaari now having taken the bait and attacked first, the Chiss were free to hunt them down and utterly wipe them out with a clear conscience? which they did.

Always seemed to me that the way to win the Vong war would be to get the Vong to attack the Chiss, setting it up in a way that the Chiss could never know they were set up. But that would probably have required a strategist on Thrawn?s level.

Anyone within the Chiss with a modicum of well, sneakiness, could quite easily manipulate the non-aggression doctrine to their own purposes. In fact, the very rigidity of Chiss society lends itself quite easily to internal manipulation?it?s very easy to predict all of their actions.

10. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Better luck next time

I'm getting closer! I'll get it though.

No, I'm not. I don't really like it when people use Star Wars to editorialize about current political events. Takes them out of the fantasy, I think.

I see what you mean. I generally don't do that, except sometimes I see a concept for one thing, and make a connection to a concept of another thing. But I'm, not saying "this is the same as this", just "this is like this". For clarification purposes.

If the Chiss are using SoroSuub to build up their arms, it should be a concern of the GFFA

Um...:oops: I guess you're right. After all, aren't the Chiss non-aggressive?

Well, they meant really involved. I.E. knew about the Chiss' plans.

Ah...now I see.

She may be being sarcastic

Jaina seems to have a flare for sarcasm doesn't she?

Yes, the Chiss are evil

*nods* Even more so than the Vong, because at least the Vong attacked outright, without any pretense of friendship...though Nom Anor and Yomin Carr were exceptions.

Edit: *Any single time anyone says "Vong" Jacen and Tahiri correct: "Yuuzhan Vong"*

11. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    CarrKicksDoor: Nice name :p

Okay, I saw this, clicked, had to run out of the house, sent myself a pm to come back and read it and am glad I did so.
    First of all.
    You have a incredibly interesting premise. I love it. I'm so intrigued and I can't wait to get further into it so I can find out how all this happened.

Second.
    Your method of storytelling is fantastic. You have a real flair for first person. What a great job.

[Aniston]"We're actually required to wear 15 peices of flair"[/Aniston] :p Thanks so much. Writing it this way is the easiest thing I've ever done :D

Lurker: Ok...first off, the number of people who can do first person well is very small. Kudos for that!

Thanks. I haven't written much first person ever, so I'm glad it's turning out well.

Secondly, I loved this analysis:
    I just finished writing a philosophy paper on free will and determinism, so I loved this part of the post. It?s a great way to write alien ideas of philosophy?just enough of the familiar that it can relate to the age old questions we try to answer here on earth, but with the mathematical twist to make it fit the GFFA.

Yeah, I sat down knowning I would write a chapter about Jaina's decision not to go with Jag to Csilla, and going in the direction of free-will and pre-determination, which is always an issue with Star Wars and the Force.

Also, Sovel?s position is essentially an advocacy of free will, a libertarian position in the philosophical sense, and loosely linked to the Libertarian political ideas?any connection here?
    Thomas Sowell

I wish I was smart enough to draw real world comparisons like that, but I'm afraid Sovel is just a product of mind wandering. Which is essentially all these posts have been. My mind wandering for 20 to 30 minutes and I end up posting it the same day :p

That?s the butterfly effect for you, Jaina!

Always seemed to me that the way to win the Vong war would be to get the Vong to attack the Chiss, setting it up in a way that the Chiss could never know they were set up. But that would probably have required a strategist on Thrawn?s level.

That is a good idea, but we saw the Chiss strategy to destroy them: Alpha Red. I doubt very many people would be happy about that.

Anyone within the Chiss with a modicum of well, sneakiness, could quite easily manipulate the non-aggression doctrine to their own purposes. In fact, the very rigidity of Chiss society lends itself quite easily to internal manipulation?it?s very easy to predict all of their actions.

I agree about the internal manipulation, but as far as predictability, the GFFA knows so little about the Chiss I don't think they can predict anything they do.

spork: I'm getting closer! I'll get it though.

:D

I see what you mean. I generally don't do that, except sometimes I see a concept for one thing, and make a connection to a concept of another thing. But I'm, not saying "this is the same as this", just "this is like this". For clarification purposes.

Right, there's nothing wrong with being inspired by the real world or what's going on. But like in Labyrinth of Evil when Luceno brought up the "Triad of Evil" and "Homeworld Security," even if it's a sentiment I agree with, it takes the reader out of the fantasy and dates the novel in a way that Star Wars should transcend.

Um... I guess you're right. After all, aren't the Chiss non-aggressive?

Yes, but we know they have a strong military. They just supposedly never start the fights.

Jaina seems to have a flare for sarcasm doesn't she?

Yes, I like that about her :p

*nods* Even more so than the Vong, because at least the Vong attacked outright, without any pretense of friendship...though Nom Anor and Yomin Carr were exceptions.

The Vong were pretty sneaky too :p

Edit: *Any single time anyone says "Vong" Jacen and Tahiri correct: "Yuuzhan Von

12. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Right, there's nothing wrong with being inspired by the real world or what's going on. But like in Labyrinth of Evil when Luceno brought up the "Triad of Evil" and "Homeworld Security," even if it's a sentiment I agree with, it takes the reader out of the fantasy and dates the novel in a way that Star Wars should transcend.

Hm...I haven't read any of the Clone Wars novels yet, so I can't really see what you mean. But it any case I never feel the "real world" when reading Star Wars. I feel so totally imersed in the universe, that it's almost a pain to stop reading the books.

Yes, but we know they have a strong military. They just supposedly never start the fights.

*nods* And after I read your post and started contemplating it, I realized that that really is cause for suspision, because, if there's supposedly world peace, why would the Chiss need to build up weapons? That would be as much a warning signal as would be had Alderaan all of a sudden started stockpiling weapons again.

Yes, I like that about her

Which also makes her interactions with Kyp all the more iteresting as well, since he seems to have inherited Han's sense of humor even more so than any of the Solo kids.

The Vong were pretty sneaky too

But they were pretty blunt in their sneakyness. Unlike the Chiss in your fics here and now, because they are really sneaky.

Yup It's an insult to just say "Vong.

*nods* However, it's not an easy habbit to correct. Even with the Jacen and Tahiri in your head correcting you all the time.

13. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    spork: Hm...I haven't read any of the Clone Wars novels yet, so I can't really see what you mean. But it any case I never feel the "real world" when reading Star Wars. I feel so totally imersed in the universe, that it's almost a pain to stop reading the books.

Ahh, that's a shame. The last three Clone Wars novels were excellent :D

And yeah, that's how I like Star Wars too.

*nods* And after I read your post and started contemplating it, I realized that that really is cause for suspision, because, if there's supposedly world peace, why would the Chiss need to build up weapons? That would be as much a warning signal as would be had Alderaan all of a sudden started stockpiling weapons again.

Right, it's just like the real world. Even allied nations spy on each other and watch one another's arm's production like hawks.

Which also makes her interactions with Kyp all the more iteresting as well, since he seems to have inherited Han's sense of humor even more so than any of the Solo kids.

Sometimes, I suppose that's true. I think he broods a bit more though :p

But they were pretty blunt in their sneakyness. Unlike the Chiss in your fics here and now, because they are really sneaky.

Well, they would lie to their allies like the peace brigaders and then murder them ;)

*nods* However, it's not an easy habbit to correct. Even with the Jacen and Tahiri in your head correcting you all the time.

I say "Vong" all the time. I don't worry about insulting them [face_mischief]

Going to try and have something for this tomorrow :D

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I'm a few days behind. Been a weird week and the boards were down a good portion of the day yesterday. Next chapter took me a couple evenings to hammer out anyway and I'm still not happy with it, but I'll post in a bit. I still have to type it :p

Sorry for the delay.

15. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    YK: Jaina's just a bit bitter, isn't she? :p :D

- The Imperial Ewok

16. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thrawn: Jaina's just a bit bitter, isn't she?

Yeah, she is... or it's just me. Whichever :p

Okay, posty now.

17. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 4: In Which Jaina Wagers the Falcon that Jag Dances With His Mum

It's nearly noon here on Chafour. The sun is sitting on top of me, slowly burning me to death. I'm sort of glad I'm the only sentient for miles, as I'm sweating like a Gamorrean in a Tatooine fat camp, and I'm sure I stink terribly.

For a moment I wish Kyp was here with the Sun Crusher to destroy the star and cast the whole Force-forsaken system in oblivion...

I decided to give up on hiking for a bit and let my aching legs rest, sitting in the grass, cross-legged. The ground is moist from the humidity and nearby bogs. It certainly won't be pleasant later when I'm trudging around with a wet backside and the material of my flightsuit rubbing against my legs uncomfortably, but everything in life's a trade-off. Right now it's the best deal I can manage.

Artoo isn't much of a conversationalist under normal circumstances, and now he's not much company at all. I know I should just leave him behind, as he makes my travel slower and more work having to levitate him over fallen trees and swamps, but I just don't have the heart to. The little guy has been a part of my family for as long as I can remember. Even if we do have his memory core copied back on Denon, it still feels wrong to abandon him... And perhaps I do need the company, however little it is.

I'm nibbling on what little rations I have? enough to last me a week pretty comfortably, I think... though they do leave much to be desired in the taste department. That's okay though, it makes me feel normal in a way. I've probably spent more time eating military rations than I have any home cooked meals by my parents.

My meal consists of a lacor, a is a green oval-shaped fruit, which is juicier when not packed to GFFA military standards? I remembered that Jag loved them. They didn't have the things in the Unknown Regions. If they were serving them in the mess hall on Ralroost during the Vong war, he would get second helpings? an unusual indulgence for someone as disciplined as he, raised amongst the Chiss, and probably something only I noticed.

Sometimes Jag wasn't much more company than Artoo, or at least that was the impression he made on people. Here was the standard joke floating around Twin Suns squadron when we flew together: What's the difference between Jagged Fel and a droid? A droid might get this joke.

But I knew better, even if that was my joke. I knew Jag better than anyone. Or at least I thought I did... before Graviss.

You're probably wondering what I saw in Jag? almost everyone does. Kyp has enough sense not to ask it? a rare quality for him? but I can see the question hanging in the air, unspoken, whenever the subject of Jag comes up.

Most people think I loved Jag because he was easy on the eyes? no argument there. The chiseled face, black hair, pale green eyes, grim expression? it was all great, definitely my type. I've been accused of having a soft spot for brooding men with dark hair? guilty as charged.

That certainly made it easy to fall in love with him, as did our mutual love of flying and sense of duty. But is any of that enough to make it more than a wartime fling? Nope, sorry.

So why did I love Jag? I loved him because he was so different than me, because he was so disciplined, because on first glance you might suspect that you could cut him open and find circuitry. There was a real human being inside the finely tailored black Chiss uniform, and I was the only one who got to see it? that made me feel special. So you might say I not only loved him, but loved the way being with him made me feel about myself.

So there you are? I'm a little sappy at heart?don't tell anyone.

Jag didn't mind my sappiness in private, but in public I probably would've had to have a damned med team on hand to revive him when his heart stopped from embarrassment.

Wasn't I a lucky lady?

At the Great Hyperspace Gala on Kuat, an event that has taken place every ten years since the fall of the Empire, the l

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Sometimes Jag wasn't much more company than Artoo, or at least that was the impression he made on people. Here was the standard joke floating around Twin Suns squadron when we flew together: What's the difference between Jagged Fel and a droid? A droid might get this joke.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

19. c_owensby

c_owensby Jedi Master star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    Interesting post. Leaves me wondering what the Miraluka tells Jaina at this party. I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

20. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    What's the difference between Jagged Fel and a droid? A droid might get this joke.

LOL That's a good joke. Totally hilarious.

21. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Awwww! Come on! [face_praying] I want to know why the evening ended up so bad?!? Who's the older woman? [face_thinking]

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Spike: :D

owensby: Interesting post. Leaves me wondering what the Miraluka tells Jaina at this party. I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Well, I sort of told you earlier, but yeah, you'll see ;) [face_mischief] Thanks for reading :D

Sil: LOL That's a good joke. Totally hilarious.

Thanks, I do some of my best work at 5 am :p

TSF: Awwww! Come on! I want to know why the evening ended up so bad?!?

Jag spills his drink on her and ruins the gown :p

Who's the older woman? [face_tinking]

I meant to say her name, I had it scribbled on the side of the page after digging around and finding a Miraluka name to start from, but I somehow forgot to add it :oops: Oh well, find out next time I guess :p

Thanks, TSF :)

23. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003

But I knew better, even if that was my joke. I knew Jag better than anyone. Or at least I thought I did... before Graviss.

Oh, really?? Interesting.

You're probably wondering what I saw in Jag? almost everyone does. Kyp has enough sense not to ask it? a rare quality for him? but I can see the question hanging in the air, unspoken, whenever the subject of Jag comes up.

Nice insight into Kyp.

Most people think I loved Jag because he was easy on the eyes? no argument there. The chiseled face, black hair, pale green eyes, grim expression? it was all great, definitely my type. I've been accused of having a soft spot for brooding men with dark hair? guilty as charged.

Hey, works for me!

That certainly made it easy to fall in love with him, as did our mutual love of flying and sense of duty. But is any of that enough to make it more than a wartime fling? Nope, sorry.

So, she didn't know him as well as she thought, AND it was only a wartime romance anyway? Hmmmmm.

So why did I love Jag? I loved him because he was so different than me, because he was so disciplined, because on first glance you might suspect that you could cut him open and find circuitry. There was a real human being inside the finely tailored black Chiss uniform, and I was the only one who got to see it? that made me feel special. So you might say I not only loved him, but loved the way being with him made me feel about myself.

Very thoughtful explanation from Jaina. Somewhere along the line, she started to understand herself pretty well.

So there you are? I'm a little sappy at heart?don't tell anyone.
    Jag didn't mind my sappiness in private, but in public I probably would've had to have a damned med team on hand to revive him when his heart stopped from embarrassment.

ROFLOL!!!!

I loved the whole post. Probably my favorite so far.

Great work, as usual.

oldj

24. evenstar963

evenstar963 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    just found this story. omg, this is sooo awesome. i love the plot and how you write jaina's character. =D= great job so far.

What's the difference between Jagged Fel and a droid? A droid might get this joke.

lol. [face_laugh]hilarious.

great job!

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    oldj: Oh, really?? Interesting.

Yup :p

Nice insight into Kyp.

thanks.

Hey, works for me!

I doubt you needed the convincing ;)

So, she didn't know him as well as she thought, AND it was only a wartime romance anyway? Hmmmmm.

No, she was saying it wasn't just a wartime romance :)

Very thoughtful explanation from Jaina. Somewhere along the line, she started to understand herself pretty well.

Maybe the fact that she's about to die made things a little clearer :p

I loved the whole post. Probably my favorite so far.
    Great work, as usual.

That's good to hear, considering it was my least favorite :p Thanks so much, oldj :D

evenstar: just found this story. omg, this is sooo awesome. i love the plot and how you write jaina's character. great job so far.

:D Glad you like the characterization. I have a feeling there are a lot of people who wouldn't :p

lol. hilarious.

Thanks, I'll be here all week :p

great job!

Thanks again :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.