main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY I Know This Is Off Topic...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 14, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I came here to post this too, just saw the news. Seems the things that attract me to Wendig as a person and a writer (like his outspokenness) are things the suits don't like.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-claims-marvel-fired-him-f-1829718822

Glad I found my Wendig fandom even if I came to it kind of late. Gonna have a Wendigo sandwich in solidarity.
    http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2018/05/07/its-time-to-talk-about-the-sandwich/
    http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2018/05/15/the-wendigo-configuration-eat-the-sandwich-join-the-cult/

2. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Was flipping through the local LEO and saw The Louisville Orchestra will be doing Star Wars A New Hope next year. They're showing the movie and doing the music live along with it. It's at the Kentucky Center and the dates are Feb 2 and 3 2019. Prices are a little steep ($35-$95) to see a 40 year old movie, more like the prices for a broadway show but it seems like a unique opportunity. I guess the last time I saw ANH on the big screen was the Star Wars marathon before the release of TFA. Maybe I can convince the wife it would be a nice birthday present for me.
    https://www.kentuckycenter.org/all-shows/star-wars-in-concert

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Neat!
    I guess it is a reasonable price if you are getting a live performance as well.

Is the kentucky center open now, after the fire? Or is that another arts building down town that caught on fire? Or was that so long ago that repairs are done?

I took my momma to see Star Wars in Concert with the London Symphony and Tony Daniels when I was in grad school: that was an awesome xperience.

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, they're open. My friend saw Aladdin there last week. They still have scaffolding up and no carpet but they can have performances.

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yoda_Jammies and Relin like this.
  6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I could only like the post above, because there is not a love button.
    We are pretty awesome, but you really rawk boss! We also got a card from Kosair children's hospital for our book donations (I decided to do so under the umbrella of Star Wars Reads-- so we got some comics out of the deal that I will hopefully remember to bring at Book Club).

MTFBWY
    Jammies

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Have a great holiday season everyone! May the Force Be With You!

Lord_Zannah and Yoda_Jammies like this.
  9. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    The same to you Mika.
    Happy Holidays to everyone! May The Force Be With Every One Of You ... ... always. ;)

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  10. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Happy Holidays to Everyone and May The Force Be With You! Just remember the reason for the season as we celebrate seeing the light from the Death Star blowing up.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Merry Sithmass!

Lord_Zannah likes this.
  12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    And a happy New Year!

(Newt Gunray Year? Happy New Y-wing? I guess we have a year to come up with a NYE star wars pun.)

Lord_Zannah likes this.
  13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Here's to more Star Wars in 2019!

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Spider-verse was the best film of 2018.

Relin likes this.
  15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I don't know...Black Panther was pretty good. Definitely better than Infinity War and it's my favorite Spider-Man film period.

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well the wife and I just got back from a Disney Star Wars Day at Sea Cruise. Had a great time. The Star Wars is a little underwhelming, it's just one day of the week, but it was nice doing a cruise where the majority of people are mega fans of the same thing you are. Another thing nice about the cruise is that it has a little bit of everything for everybody. You have the Star Wars for the Star Wars fans, the Disney for the Disney fans, and just the normal cruise stuff for fans of travel/cruising. That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this. I figured there would be enough "other" stuff to keep the wife happy. The best parts of it for me were seeing the movies on the big screen in their full size movie theater and a guest talk by Troy Alders who is the art director for Lucas Licensing. Someone I had never heard of before but is instrumental in all of the graphics we see on everything from packaging to school supplies to Tshirts. Plus I was able to get some sweet exclusive Star Wars Cruise swag.

For a true Star Wars fan I don't know if this is worth doing unless you already like cruises (and if you're going to do a cruise it might as well be a Star Wars cruise), but if you're looking for a vacation for the whole family this is a great chance to do something where everyone would find something they enjoy. And Disney knows families.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    BP was this year? Geez..
    And honestly, Solo was the best film of the year. Of course.
    -Jammies
    (Still. I liked Spider Ham)

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Saw the Star Wars in Concert with the Louisville Orchestra last night and it was a really fun time. The crowd was amped and the conductor encouraged noise/cheering/participation. Great seeing ANH on the big screen with a live orchestra. And Zannah and Appo were there so that made it even cooler. I even bought the first concert tshirt I've gotten in YEARS.

Lord_Zannah and Relin like this.
  19. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks Mika, we made it cooler? .. Tee-Tee! Well, we definitely made it ... "louder". lol!
    It was great seeing you and Sarah too Mika. "You looked Maaavalous Daaarlings"!
    I soooo concur about the concert. The whole experience was incredible ... the orchestra "Stayed On Target" ... they were amazing how they were so spot on at following the scenes with the music scores. The Conductor was so in to each emotion of every scene... he even jumped off of the floor a couple of times during the battles!
    As Lord Vader would say "A Day Long Remembered". :vader: I give them another Standing Ovation, =D==D==D==D==D=

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Awesome! So glad y'all enjoyed it!
    A while back I took my mother to Star Wars in Concert with the LDS and hosted by Anthony Daniels. I was awesome.
    Mika had told me about this, and then I slept and forgot all about it. By the time I remembered, and we went to look for tickets all they had were singles.
    Moral of the story: Listen to Mika.

21. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    I hope I can share this here, but I was explaining to everyone that when the original Star Wars movies released, and I'm speaking of all six of them, the crowds reacted differently to them than they do now. There is no cheering and applauding during the movies, not even at the ends of them on an opening night. The energy for them is not there like it used to be. It felt like that at the Concert, people clapping and cheering at different moments during the movie.... it almost brought me to tears. I miss that energy.

If you have the time to watch all the way through, I think this excerpt is about 5 min. long, this is a recording of how the crowds reacted to these movies during that time. This was "A New Hope".

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  22. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    FYI:Louisville Supercon announced Daniel Logan today. Hopefully there will be more Star Wars guests!!

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Wow, they've been announcing a lot of big name guests but I can't believe they're doing it so early. Not the usual M.O. for cons.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks for sharing that Zannah!

I love the vibe when they screen the films at the Celebrations, because it does bring that all back. (Can we blame this on millennials?)
    The only OT film I remember seeing was Empire, and I was way too young and slept through any scene that didn't have an At-At. But my brother did sneak in a tape recorder to Jedi. One of those 1970s tape recorders. The tape got re-recorded with a ball game or something, but it was pretty awesome. It DID have the theatre noise of all us rowdy country kids cheering at the John Williams fanfare. It also had me yelling "Wee Woks! Wee Woks!" My dad yelling "Wa.. the Hell? Are you ***ts taping this?" and then snoring. But mainly it recorded my brother and his friends munching pop corn.

Episode 1 was pretty rocking! The audience clapped for every legacy chaircor (R2 got the biggest cheer from our screening :r2h:). As I recall, opening night for The Force Awakens had a fair amount of cheers-- but most of the screenings of the newer films since then only had one guy and his buddies clapping at the screen and that was me and you all. Last time I saw Solo, people looked at me weird for woo-hooing the Falcon-- like *I* was the one with the problem. :falcon:

Thank you for taking me back to 1984, and 1999, and for a moment leaving 2019!
    @};-
    MTFBWY
    Jammies
    Saw Rogue One in Italy, and that was a party! [face_party]

Lord_Zannah likes this.
  25. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    My pleasure as always. And also as always...
    MTFBW ... :emperor:"Y"