main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Like This Ending Better

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthKnaves1995, Oct 26, 2022.

1. DarthKnaves1995

DarthKnaves1995 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2022
    After all, it was said that ANAKIN, not Rey, would destroy the Sith.

Also, sorry if I'm not supposed to post this here, I'm new.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    whostheBossk and Anakin's Daddy like this.
  2. DarthKnaves1995

DarthKnaves1995 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2022
    That aside, what are your thoughts on this subject? Do you like how the Skywalker Saga/Episode IX ended? Or would you have preferred something like this where Anakin's Force Ghost and a number of other Force Ghosts showed up? Or would you have rather Palpatine won?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Palpating wining was an options??!!!??

That’s scintillating. How very 2019 it would have been.

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Without doubt, if Palaptine and the Sith were to be part of the ST, then Anakin returning from the netherworld to vanquish them would have been infinitely more satisfying... both thematically and narratively. I'll also add that the ST doesn't get fixed just by having Anakin turn up at the end... I think they would have had to restructure the plot somewhat in order to build to that conclusion e.g. have Palpatine devise a method for blocking the force/force ghosts, which leads to the Jedi Academy being burnt down, the First Order taking over and Luke Skywalker being forced into going on the run. Then have the resistance attack the source of Palpatine's influence... be it the Exegol Sith temple, a different version of SKB or other, have it destroyed... which then allows the force ghosts to return etc. etc.

wobbits and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    FWIW TROS is my favourite of the ST.

But it was soooo disappointing regarding the Skywalker legacy. The fans have had infinitely better ideas of what lore or character elements they could have added.
    There was so much existing material to draw from, it boggles the mind that this was the best they could come up with.

And yes, Anakin should have appeared.

6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Nah, i think TROS ended pretty perfectly. The one thing i would have loved to see was a stormtrooper rebellion.

7. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Meanwhile I think it is good how it is. Everything else (the Jedi channeling their energy into Rey etc) is enough to happen in our mind instead of being shown onscreen which could also have been look a bit odd.

But yes, I am also still thinking where they could have put force ghost Anakin on screen without him stealing the show too much or breaking the fourth wall too much. I mean: he basically had barely up to nothing to do with Rey who was the protagonist of this trilogy. Him appearing on Tatooine aswell - like hugging his children or something - could really have looked weird. In this case I would have preferred on more perspective; like FG-Anakin watching this scenario of Rey with Luke and Leia from the distance with a warm face expression, then disappearing and then cut to Rey with BB-8 before the twin suns. But he had his moment of this kind at the end of ROTJ and we have to accept that he is not the one and only main character in the Skywalker Saga. He is a very big character and might be the/a 'chosen one', but in the end it was bigger and wider than just Anakin's tragic story.

Taylor Neir likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The ending they gave us was sort of lackluster to me. But adding HC would not be an improvement IMO; I just don't like him in the role of Anakin.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Having Anakin appear in an actual visual form to me would only have really worked if Luke also appeared for that scene… and if Rey were a Skywalker herself.

Part of the issue is the way the story became about pitting “Rey’s story” against the “Skywalker Story” in terms of prominence, focus, and ambition ever since TLJ made that the “meta-conflict” of the story; while there’s no reason conceptually that the Skywalker story and the non-Skywalker protagonists story must fight for dominance (see: The Mandalorian), TLJ configured things so that the Skywalker story and Rey’s stories were screwing each other up.

Anakin can’t really show up to hand Palpatine his final defeat without making it clear it’s not Rey’s story, especially when she’s already losing Kylo as na adversary and having to share the screen with Ben because of his heritage. At the same time, yeah, it *is* a bunch of crock that Palpatine is brought back just to go down against a non-Skywalker; it's not really Rey's fault, but a previous victory for multiple more popular characters is being erased so she (or more accurately, she *and Ben*) can repeat a lesser version of it.

If she were Luke’s daughter, though, or his niece, and this was a meeting of the main protagonist and main Skywalker family members of all three trilogies… well, that would be suitably epic.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  10. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    agreed honestly if you don't like the movie fine but these movies fit well with the saga. we all have opinions honestly i don't being mean about opinions is right

11. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    This too me wouldve taken away from the story if anakin was in there lol ben wouldve grandfather kinda like in naurto if minato truely comeback not as a corpse

12. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    It regurgitates the prior trilogy. How does that fit well?
    Anakin's not a corpse.

wobbits likes this.
  13. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    i never said anakins corpse i said minato also what you just said about regurgitating really just ruins your point because then it dose fit well with the saga

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  14. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    No, fitting, would be a natural connection, a consistent continuation. Regurgitating, I think is just an awkward forcing of the same type of end as the OT, while playing it as the conclusion, when we already had that conclusion in the OT.

wobbits and Watcherwithin like this.
  15. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    i really don't see forcing in any of the characters or story arc being bad rep of ot like story since it doses its own spin on those arcs especially empire strikes back

16. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    I wouldn't say fitting at all since that indicates totally same plot point i would aslo add

17. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    That's what I'd call regurgitation, in that, to me, I think it just adds in other things and treats it like it's doing something new, but it doesn't have any natural meaning or development. It's not actually telling a story, just reusing things and trying to pretend it's doing something that matters with it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    wobbits likes this.
  18. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    Im going to have to disagree with what you're saying here tho because if it were that way then well it wouldn't have like the death of snoke

19. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I fully expected Anakin to appear in TROS in some form. In fact I assumed the title of the movie was referring to him. I thought it would be about how Anakin redeems himself.

But I was completely wrong and I'm glad I was as what we got worked for me (after my initial, gut-wrenching disappointment).

Yes, Anakin was supposed to destroy the Sith - and he did. Rey stopped them from returning by destroying the means for them to do it. It's clunky and I can see why some people didn't like it, but it works from a certain POV

20. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    That aligns with that not actually telling a story thing I said. Snoke is just killed. You'd assume Kylo would get some type of character development out of that or leading to that, but he's the same person after that when he faces Luke as he was at the beginning of it. And Snoke's death only seems to really effect, character wise, Hux, emotionally. None of the other main characters, I think, are even developed to know it happened, except Rey, and this doesn't really mean much for her as a character.

Kylo is still a dark sider leading a stormtrooper army against a plucky rebellion and a heroic jedi character at the end of the day. The real difference is he's an idiot and commands no real weight as a character and a villain, which is why I think TROS, and even Colin Trevarrow's released Ep 9 script, apparently, if it's legit, essentially soft reboots Kylo as a character, to me. In different ways, of course.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What should have happened was that both Ben and Rey redirect the Sith lightning back at Sidious, with Luke and Anakin both appearing to lend their power to them.

whostheBossk likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What should have happened is an ending that was less like a Ghostbusters movie.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Maybe the ending of monster squad

[​IMG]

Palpatine is trying to open a portal to so he can suck force energy and return to strength. Instead Anakin is there on the other side, and witht he help of Ben Solo and Rey, he grabs him and pulls him through to the netherworld.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

It is a callback to ROTS.

whostheBossk and wreath like this.
  25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The moral of SW. Mace shoulda had two sabers.

How...deep.