main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive I need some help with cargo capacities

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by IcePirate, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    Ok, I'm looking at creating a freighter/(commando)assault ship for a game I'm planning on running. I need help with cargo space.

How much space and weight are needed for 6 swoop bikes, a tank (comparable in size to a tie mauler, tx 130, canderous-assault, etc), a "jeep"-type speeder (i'll be developing that, too... I haven't decided if it will be repulsorlift tech or not) with seating for 5 including a turret and driver, a couple of holding cells, and enough more room for a semi-trailer or 4?

What "current" comparable ships are there?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The Sentinel-class landing craft sounds like what you might be looking for. Can carry 36 speeder bikes and 12 compact assault vehicles, with a crew of 5.

3. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    When in doubt, go with an Action Transport. 90,000 tons of cargo is usually enough to hold whatever you need.

4. Spatz

Spatz Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2008
    *Points to Light_Warden*

Yeah, a Action class'd do nicely, though it is lacking in fire power, but of course it's just to compare too...though the Space Master-class transport from Kuat is shorter and lower on the carrying capacity, but is probably less conspicuous, as I'm taking a guess that that might be perferred.

5. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    With 90,000 tons of cargo space, you can mount all the weapons you want and still have room for more. The thing will handle like a brick though, which is why it's a decent idea to put some anti-starfighter weapons, or even convert part of it into a hanger.

6. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    The Action VI is too big, as may be the Space Master.

This vessel I'm creating will carry the roles of landing craft (deploying a commando unit and their gear --- all the stuff previously mentioned), freighter, smuggling ship, and bounty hunter ship. It will also need comfortable living quarters for those long journeys.

That being said, the Sentinel seems closer... but can it hold a tank?

7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    TIE Maulers aren't a lot bigger than the compact assault vehicles the Sentinel carries, if that helps.

8. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not certain how to figure displacement. thus having difficulty figuring out volume tonnage versus weight in tons.

Cubic Meters, Metric Tons, Tonnes, etc. It would be great if the wook would be standardized to using one form.

I suppose the heaviest weight a ship can lift off a surface is dependent on the gravity of the object the ship is launching from. But still, under what I'm guessing would be (Coruscanti) standard conditions, it would be nice to know what the cargo weight displacement capacity parameters for any number of ships would be.

Anybody know how to convert metric tons into cubic meter and back? I was thinking 350 cubic meters or 200 metric tons.... I don't know how far apart those are.

and as for weight.... I don't know how much any of that stuff weighs.

9. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    Say the time setting is 7 bby... which is most fitting for a special forces/black ops commando unit resorting to?

S-1 FireHawke Heavy Repulsortank
    TX-130T fighter tank
    HAVr A9 Floating Fortress
    Tracked Shield Disabler
    Canderous-class assault tank
    Sephi tank

I'd prefer something that can deal with jacked up electromagnetic fields (likes shields or your oddball planet) but still maintains the versatility of a repulsorlift vehicle.

10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Well, that would probably depend on which galactic power the special forces unit is working for. If misdirection is the order of the day, they'd use something that wasn't used by their government. If it's just firepower, one might give them a tank of their nation's military.

11. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    they would be infiltrating governments. so the more i think about it.... imperial. cuz their stuff gets around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.