main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT " I QUIT!"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hopefulwriter, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Writer: Hopeful Writer
    Time Frame: Original Trilogy
    Rating: General
    Characters: Han Solo, Leia Organa

Summary: Leia is fed up and wants to quit everything. She receives some encouragement
    from a suprising source.

Princess Leia Organa, Senator of Alderaan sat motionless at her usual make-shift desk, staring at the mound of papers and files which lay before her. Each bore the familiar 'red sticker' indicating 'urgent' and 'needing immediate attention'. She sighed as she casually rifled through the papers. She knew by sight what each one was: reports, statistics, supply requisitions, pay vouchers, requests, financial statements, military orders, Alliance disbursements, acquistions for clothing, equipment, uniforms, armor, maintenance...the needs seemed endless. They all required her attention and decision as one of the last Senators of Alderaan.

She rose from the desk and began to pace the room quietly, her mind was running in a dozen different directions, and for the first time in her adult life, she felt incapable of sorting out the myriad of thoughts into some sort of organized order.

A sharp rap at the door interrupted her musings. "Come in." She answered.

The door moved and a young aide stuck his head into the room, "Princess Organa," he began,
    "The Commanders' request your presence at once on a Matter of State meeting and Dr. Jameson would like to know when to expect those urgently needed medical supplies."

That was the last straw ! Leia snapped back to the aide, "Everybody expects me to know everything, to arrange everything. Well, I can't !" She yelled at the startled rebel as she headed for the door.

"But, but...your Highness, what will I tell the Commanders? They're expecting you."

"YOU go to the meeting." The Princess suggested. "I QUIT !" She rushed from the room and down the hall in a futile effort to escape her surroundings. She didn't realize her steps had carried her to the bay area until she was abruptly stopped by someone grabbing her arms.

"HEY!.... Where's a fired up bundle of energy like you going to in such a hurry?"

Leia blinked out of her daze. "Han?" She surveyed the cavernous bay.

"You alright, Princess?"

Leia's long practiced resolve took over. "Of course I am." The Corellian eyed her skeptically. That look made the young woman wilt emotionally and for once Leia felt a desperate need to unburden herself.

"No, I am NOT alright." She said. "I QUIT!"

Han waited for her to explain further, but after a moment asked, "Quit what?"

"Everything!" She spat, waving an arm in the air for emphasis. "The Alliance...the years of fighting, the doing without, broken hopes...dreams." Her voice trailed off tiredly. "I give up."

Han couldn't believe he was hearing those words from the petite woman who stood before him. "You mean you are willing to turn your back on everyone who needs you, who depends on you?" He questioned.

"That's exactly what I mean, Han. it's getting to be too much. The pressures, responsibilities, to fight so long and gain so little, to have dreams and hopes shattered over and over."

"I haven't known you for very long, but you certainly don't seem to be one to fold up under pressure." Han told her.

"There just isn't any use to continue." She said, emotionless. "The Alliance Forces are so scattered, we don't have enough soldiers to effectively combat the Imperial Forces. We don't have the weaponry or finances to combat their Death Stars. We're never settled for more than a few weeks in any one place before we have to leave. Each time we leave, we have to abandon vital pieces of equipment and try to replace them when we're re-established." She eyed the Corellian, who was listening patiently. Then, the words seemed to spill forth; "Sometimes I have to make the final decision on whether to buy food or medicine, if there isn't enough money for both....do we feed the soldiers or ease the pain of those who are suffering or wounded."

Leia began to pace as she talked. "My homeworld is gone. There's no use continuing to fight. Other worlds will suffer the same fate and there will be nothing left to go home to. The Imperials are more powerful...Vader so relentless. He even destroyed the one man my father assured could help our cause...Obi Wan." She stopped and sat down on a wooden supply crate.

"You can't give up like this." Han told her. "To turn your back on everyone so easily..they aren't giving up."

"Why not?" Leia questioned. She boldly eyed the space pirate. "It can be done with little or no searing of the conscious. You're living proof of that."

"What are you talking about?" Han asked.

"You left your family, friends, and even your home planet." Leia elaborated from what little Luke had told her.

Anger shot through Han, "I didn't desert them, Leia ! -- they turned their backs on me!" He said it with such vehemence it startled her. "Look," Han calmed his voice, speaking deliberately and with great emotional effort. "You have something worth fighting for...you can't give up on it."

"Why are you so concerned with the Alliance?" Leia asked. "When you came back it was only to help Luke destroy the Death Star."

Han knelt beside the Princess. "If people were the only motivation for my staying, then I never would have left my friends and family on Corell." He told her.

"That's quite a self-revealing statement." Leia responded. "Then, you do have concern for the cause of the Rebellion?"

Han eyed the Princess evenly. "Yes". He admitted honestly, as much to himself as to Leia. "And when I get my debt squared with Jabba, I can become more active in that concern."

Leia didn't know what to say.

Precisely at that moment, Luke burst into the area. "Leia...Han..Imperial probes just found Yavin. The Commanders have give the order to evacuate. The young Jedi was off, spreading the word to other areas of the base.

Han looked at Leia. "Well... what about it Princess, do you stay and surrender or run and fight?"

She gazed at Han closely before speaking. If the cause of the Alliance could impress this Corellian pirate in the little time he had been associated with it enough to make him want to become a part of it, then surely she, who loved the freedom the re-established Republic would bring, could continue to fight for that freedom.

Han waited for her answer.

"Come on, Fly boy." She said, her voice strong with renewed determination. "We've got a base
    to evacuate!"

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    A person who almost quit advices not to quit.

A person who struggles with the concept of belonging helping somebody who lost nearly everything.

Yes, this makes sense and it's an exciting set of concepts to explore. :) Thank you!

teamhansolo and Findswoman like this.
  3. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Nice little scene. Leia often gets shown as dealing with the loss of her home world by becoming cold and shut off from others, so it's very interesting to see her depicted showing her sheer frustration with her situation and the pressures on her. After what she's been through, a sense of hopelessness and 'what's the point' at times is a completely rational response. And Han is, of course, the perfect person to offer her some perspective on that!

Nyota's Heart and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful, realistic & understandable feelings. Great support she gets too, one that shows insight and caring. =D=

Ewok Poet likes this.