main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I, Rebel (Hal Horn survives to join the Rebellion, AU, Author's Note 02/11/07)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by padawan lunetta, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Myri_Antilles:

I love this fic, Luney!!! Thanks! :-D

Can't wait to see more! Hopefully there will be more soon...

jade51999:

Lune...

You know i'll read anything you write ...and so far this one delivers!
    Awww thanks :)

Excellent start. I love how Corran is like...hey, Dad in the beginning. LOL Hehhhehee

I also like how its in first person and that Hal Horn knows about Anakin and the past. Thanks! Mommy thinks I'm brave...but firs Person can be easier. ;)

All very intriguing. Thanks! :)

RebelMom:

Well, Hal, they are Rebellious, just not teenagers. Ahh good point :)

Miana Kenobi:

Hehehe, I'm loving this story, Lunes!! This just doubles my growing love for the Horns. Thanks! Tis my noble duty to get everyone to love them as much as me. ;)

Jesina_Dreis:

Love his reaction to hearing Luke's name...and I love the end, the little bit of guilt Corran lays on him Thanks :-D Wonder when he'll cave... ;)

son-of-kenobi:

wow..tis good.very good Ooh thanks :)

SweetPea:

Suprised Hal got through the conversation with all his fingers intact lol! Me too. ;)

Am interested to see how he gets along with Wedge, seeing his anti-smuggler feelings. :-D

Hehe. Loved the rebellious teenager part. Thanks :D Just about fits Janson I think... ;)

Phoenix_Reborn:

Very interesting; can't wait for more. Thanks! :)

CodeName_Targeter:

*giggles* Corran being mistaken for Wedge... now that's pretty funny, or at least to me. :D Was wondering when\if you'd show up. ;)

Hmm, interesting turn on events here, luney.

Lovely start so far! Hope to see more soon!
    Thanks! :D

Ooo... just thought of something! If Hal joins the Rebellion... perhaps he can work with his long hidden Jedi powers a bit with Luke or Yoda.... OoooooooOOO who says he meets Lukie? ;)

JadeSolo:

A story about my favorite Jedi's dad! Okay, so he's only one of my favorites. lol! He is second to my Lukie! ;)

Especially loved that part. Can't wait for more! Thank you! I was rather proud of those lines too :)

talkingbanana:

Ah, this is fantastic! I love it! *beams* Thanks!

Very powerful stuff - all of it, but especially this. I'm really enjoying this. Thanks :D

And I must say, I like your Corran a lot better than I like Jes's. lol! Why thank you!

Keep up the great work! Trying... ;)

Jesina_Dreis:

I'm helping her!! That makes him my Corran too. *pouts* But of course....:D

2. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    So Babyface is Wes! [face_laugh]

This is really good, Luneywan.

3. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Wonder when he'll cave...

My guess is, he'll be a pushover.

I mean, come on...who can resist Corran? ;)

4. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Arin_Atona:

So Babyface is Wes! Hehhhehehe well he IS supposed to be young looking.. ;)

This is really good, Luneywan. Thanks! Glad yo think so, considering your feelings about First Person. ;)

Jesina_Dreis:

Wonder when he'll cave...

My guess is, he'll be a pushover.

I mean, come on...who can resist Corran?
    lol! Good point...hmmm... ;)

5. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Was wondering when\if you'd show up. ;)
    Of course I'll show up, luney! a) You're writing it, and I, like jade, will read anything you write. b) IT'S HAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

OoooooooOOO who says he meets Lukie?
    Well, you're writing it, so of course Luke will show up!:p

~Jenn

6. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    "Hey, Dad."

I completely expected Corran to start saying, "So here's the thing..."

I love it Luna!!

7. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    CodeName_Targeter:

Was wondering when\if you'd show up.
    Of course I'll show up, luney! a) You're writing it, and I, like jade, will read anything you write. b) IT'S HAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Awww you flatter me!

OoooooooOOO who says he meets Lukie?
    Well, you're writing it, so of course Luke will show up!:p
    *mutters*

AvenKiel:

I completely expected Corran to start saying, "So here's the thing..." lol! Thanks :)

I love it Luna!! Thanks! :D Here's some more!

Chapter Two

I have often told Corran that if you cannot recognize the person in the mirror, it is time to step back and see when you stopped being yourself. That night, I was almost afraid to look. I didn't want to think about how far I was going to have to look back. For almost two decades, I have been using another name, completely ignoring a heritage that had shaped my entire life. I have stood by while a war for the soul of the galaxy was being fought.

Valin Halcyon would never have done that.

Master Yoda was fond of advising against recklessness and impatience, but in truth, Jedi were far more reckless than the average sentient. We took more risks because we were better able to survive them. The Council thought that the Corellians were the worst in this regard, and I can't say I disagree. There's little sense in caution where odds do not exist for you. If Nyche hadn't been pregnant with Corran during the purges, I imagine I would have been one of Vader's victims by now.

Or a leader in the Rebellion.

I'd had a hard time adjusting to civilian life. Even though I started working for Corsec, it was tough not taking the most dangerous missions because of my Rookie status. Corran's birth curbed my reckless streak even more, until I found myself settled into an almost completely normal life.

Almost.

Because I missed my father terribly, and could not follow in his footsteps by training my own son in the Jedi ways. I certainly did my best to keep him from dark side emotions but there was so much more I longed to teach him. For the first time in years, I found myself entertaining thoughts of training him. Of course, the only way to do that would be to join the Rebellion.

The risks in not only joining the Rebellion, and perhaps once again embracing the Jedi ways, were great.

But sometimes life isn't worth living without taking certain risks.

I took a deep breath and faced the mirror, raising my eyebrow at my reflection. There was perhaps a little more gray hair than I would like, a few extra laugh lines around my eyes, but I'd managed to stay in pretty good physical shape. Physically, I was still pretty recognizable, but did I know me?

I wasn't sure.

From the other room, I heard a cry, and my hand grabbed immediately for my blaster. Reaching out with the Force, I could sense no immediate danger as I crept down the hall, and I realized that one of the men must have cried out in their sleep.

Corran had given me sketchy details on his friend, but from what I'd remembered, Derek, or "Hobbie", had nearly died in the battle on Hoth. That was certainly reason enough to have nightmares. I opened the door to the first guest room, where I knew the young man was sleeping. His feet were sticking out of the covers and his head was covered with his pillow, but he seemed peaceful enough. I backed out of the room, thinking next of the Alderaanian, Tycho Celchu.

Corran, Antilles, and Celchu were in the living room, with Corran sprawled out on the couch, Antilles curled up on the floor, and Celchu squirming in a cot. Even if he weren't writhing in his sleep, I would have tagged the nightmare sufferer to be him. He spoke again, his tone muffled and thick with emotion. "I'm sorry..."

I knelt beside the cot, pursing my lips thoughtfully. The fact that he was from Alderaan meant there was probably quite a few bad memories or thoughts that could plague his dreams, and waking the man would mos

8. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    *pounces*

Loved the conversations...the banter between Hal and Wedge.

Hal's thoughts on joining the Rebellion were beautifully written.

Poor Tycho :_|

Jes

9. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    I haven't read just a plethora of Rogue material... but the banter seems great!

10. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh, it is...it is :D

11. Quin22

Quin22 Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2005
    Its becoming increasingly apparent to me just how many talented writers there are on this site. Lune I have to say I love the way you paint a scene. Usually(and more frequently now that I'm swamped with Darwinism, an eccentric history professor who needs quotes from sources verbatim, and erratic sleeping patterns)I can't stay focused on a piece with to much description to fill in the lines, but you had me all the way from start to finish. It's tough now a days to find a writer who can effectively create that "perfect mental picture" and you do an excellent job of doing just that. Nice piece of work Lune. Very impressed.

12. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Nice Lune!

Listening to Hal think about what he saw in the mirror was interesting, considering what we know of Corran and his thoughs on the subjec from I, Jedi.

It was also ineresting to see the ineraction between our fav. rebels.

Dumping water on Wes is always hilarious.

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    "No, he doesn't." Antilles smirked a little. "Can't imagine where he got that from."

Hehehe... Excellently done, Luney!! I love the Rogues. :p

14. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Awww!!! Poor Tycho, having nightmares *sniffs*

"Either you keep wild rancors in your guest rooms, sir, or Janson's not a morning person."

Antillles rolled his eyes. "Did you make sure he got out of bed? Put his feet on the floor?"

Tycho shook his head. "I figured if he could roar that loud he had to be awake."

LOL! [face_laugh] *loves her Janson*

*gasps* Tycho!!!!!!! You hurt poor Tycho! *sniffs* Hehe, pulling rank to make people go away.

MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

~Jenn

15. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Wow, he's using the Force now. Will he train Corran? What about Lukie? Oooo! Will he go talk to Yoda?

"Denies it enough that she's probably in love with him too," Antilles answered with a grin. "I don't think he's going anywhere soon."
    War certainly makes for strange bedfellows

I thought this was a very funny ultra-literal use of that analogy :D

I also highly approve of all the Rogue banter [face_laugh]

16. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    That was incredible, as I've already come to expect. ;)

Loved the part about the hidden pockets for everything - and for the secret Jedi, a lightsaber. That was hilarious. :D

Very well written thoughts about the Rebellion and such. Keep up the great work! :D

17. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    LMAO - I love the way you write the fab 4 and Hal. Can't wait for more.

18. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Not needing much in the way of clothing, I filled one duffel bag with that, and the other with memorabilia such as wedding holos and embarrassing shots of Corran.

Poor Corran. :p I liked that Hal helped Tycho sleep. Nice way for him to realise where his true place is. :D Though now I wonder what Rostek's reaction was.

19. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    <delurks>

Great story and concept!

I'd be more worried about reprisals on Rostek than his own reaction... New fully-trained Jedi suddenly appears in the Rebellion, and his father just happens to have been the partner of a Jedi during the Republic Era (no matter how deeply Rostek may have hidden files, SOMEONE has to remember that he was seen working with a Jedi)?

20. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Jesina_Dreis:

*pounces* Eek!

Loved the conversations...the banter between Hal and Wedge. Awww thanks :D

Hal's thoughts on joining the Rebellion were beautifully written. Thanks! :)

Poor Tycho *looks innocent*

Arin_Atona:

I haven't read just a plethora of Rogue material... but the banter seems great! Thanks!

Quin22:

Its becoming increasingly apparent to me just how many talented writers there are on this site. Lune I have to say I love the way you paint a scene. Usually(and more frequently now that I'm swamped with Darwinism, an eccentric history professor who needs quotes from sources verbatim, and erratic sleeping patterns)I can't stay focused on a piece with to much description to fill in the lines, but you had me all the way from start to finish. It's tough now a days to find a writer who can effectively create that "perfect mental picture" and you do an excellent job of doing just that. Nice piece of work Lune. Very impressed. Wow...very complimentary. *blushes* Thanks :) *blushes again*

jade51999:

Nice Lune! thanks :-D

Listening to Hal think about what he saw in the mirror was interesting, considering what we know of Corran and his thoughs on the subjec from I, Jedi. Thanks...I had fun integrating that :D

It was also ineresting to see the ineraction between our fav. rebels.

Dumping water on Wes is always hilarious.
    lol! Quite!

Miana Kenobi:

"No, he doesn't." Antilles smirked a little. "Can't imagine where he got that from."

Hehehe... Excellently done, Luney!! I love the Rogues.
    Thanks woman! I'm really starting to love them :)

CodeName_Targeter:

Awww!!! Poor Tycho, having nightmares *sniffs* Poor boy!

LOL! *loves her Janson* lol! I was rather proud of that exchange myself. ;)

*gasps* Tycho!!!!!!! You hurt poor Tycho! *sniffs* Did not! The Empire did! ;)

Hehe, pulling rank to make people go away. :D

SweetPea:

Wow, he's using the Force now. Will he train Corran? What about Lukie? Oooo! Will he go talk to Yoda? Considering Anakin...me thinks Hal might be scared to death to think of training Lukie...Corran...hmm...Yoda...hmmm... ;)

I thought this was a very funny ultra-literal use of that analogy LOL! I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that!

I also highly approve of all the Rogue banter Awww thanks! This is my first time ever writing them, (aside from Lukie and Corran) so I am glad you all approve. (Though Jes and Myri are my Rogue Advisors I guess it HAS tobe good ;))

talkingbanana:

That was incredible, as I've already come to expect. *blushes* Aww thanks :0

Loved the part about the hidden pockets for everything - and for the secret Jedi, a lightsaber. That was hilarious. hehehehehe thanks :D

Very well written thoughts about the Rebellion and such. Keep up the great work! Thanks! Working on it! :D

Phoenix_Reborn:

LMAO - I love the way you write the fab 4 and Hal. Can't wait for more. Thanks! Very glad you guys are approving of the characterizations. :-D

JadeSolo:

Poor Corran. I liked that Hal helped Tycho sleep. Nice way for him to realise where his true place is. Thanks! I liked it too. :)

Though now I wonder what Rostek's reaction was. Hmm...probably knows SOMEthing is up...

JalendaviLady:

<delurks> Ooh thanks for delurking! I am very glad people are reading this thing, considering the randomness of it. :D

Great story and concept! Thanks! *beams*

I'd be more worried about reprisals on Rostek than his own reaction... New fully-trained Jedi suddenly appears in the Rebellion, and his father just happens to have been the partner of a Jedi during the Republic Era (no matter how deeply Rostek may have hidden files, SOMEONE has to remember that he was seen working with a Jedi)? Very good point! Particularly

21. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Sorry if my posting schedule seems random, but I like to on my days off, so there'll probaby be about two a week, close together, with a few days break for you guys. :D

Here is Chapter Three!

Chapter Three

My father liked to tell me that when the Force speaks to you, it is a gentle whisper or nudge. Apparently, if you wait a couple decades to actively use it again, it delivers swift kicks to the butt instead. At least, that's what I was feeling when I entered the cabin to check on Tycho Celchu, and was informed of his grave condition. Hobbie had run a medisensor over him, discovering that the bolt had grazed his stomach and kidneys, and damaged his pancreas. We were days away from where the rebel fleet was assembled, (I was not informed of the actual location for security reasons) and it was dangerous to leave hyperspace short of your destination. I helped Hobbie start a nutrient drip and administer painkillers, but I had the feeling that the young man would not make it to the Fleet.

Hobbie was acting perhaps a little too professional, as though attempting to detach himself from the situation. I'd seen it in many Corsec detectives. Sometimes it seemed that the worse the situation, the more calm they managed to be. I, however, could sense the deep worry Hobbie held for his friend, and his frustration in not being able to help him. Janson peeked his head into the cabin once, to inquire after Tycho, and at Hobbie's answer, he'd turned pale and left the room, muttering an excuse under his breath. I was certain the man must be feeling rather guilty because Tycho had taken the shot for him.

It didn't take Antilles long to come in after me, probably having noticed Hobbie's prolonged absence. He folded his arms after entering the cabin, leaning against the wall. "How is he doing?"

"He's in bad shape," Hobbie answered, unable to look up and meet his commander's eyes.

I rested my hand on the young man?s shoulder. "He'll be fine."

Hobbie stepped away from me, probably upset that I was trying to encourage false hopes. When Corran was a teenager, he used to grumble about my being too optimistic, but what I had been unable to tell him was that it was one of my defenses against the Darkside of the Force. If your thoughts dwell in darkness, then it is likely that your soul will soon follow.

Antilles arched an eyebrow. "Will he make it to the base?"

"Not without bacta," Hobbie answered softly. "I've put patches on his wound, but it isn't enough."

His assessment was true, but what Hobbie didn't know was that though often slower, a Jedi Healing trance often worked just as well as bacta, if not better. I had not intended to reveal myself as a Jedi yet. I wasn't ready. But, I could hardly let the man die simply because I was too afraid to act. If this was the Force's way of letting me know it was time to start being a Jedi again, I was getting the message loud and clear.

Antilles had stiffened just slightly at Hobbie's words, but he obviously wished to retain his own professionalism as well, and had been trying to keep himself distant from his men. I was only able to tell how deeply it was affecting him by the look in his eyes and sense in the Force. "There's always another way."

Hobbie looked at me in disbelief. "Right."

Antilles merely watched me carefully, obviously confused. I certainly wasn't a surgeon, and that perhaps to them, was the only other way. I cleared my throat, nodding to both men. "Excuse me," I said, then left the cabin, going off in search for my son.

Truth was, I am just a little out of practice when it comes to using the Force. Years ago, I may have been able to pull off a healing trance on the young man without overtaxing myself too greatly, but I harbored no illusions that I would be able to now. I was going to need my son's help in this matter, which meant it was time I told him the truth about his heritage.

A couple of years ago, I made a recording about it, because should I have died be

22. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    I just finally got around to reading this.. sorry it took so long...

Anyway, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I love your dialogue.

I can't wait to see what happens when he reaches the rebellion!

23. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Just popping in to let you know I'm enjoying this story very much. (even if there isn't any H/L in it, usually one of my main requirements for reading!) :D

24. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I love your explanation of why Hal needed Corran ;)

And I think you wrote him telling him very well...poor Corran, having his entire identity shaken up like this :(

25. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    "What now?" Corran asked expectantly.

"I said clear your mind, Corran, not wonder what to do next," I answered, frowning at him.

"And then what?"

I was beginning to see why we used to train Jedi at birth. For me, trying to teach Corran how to touch the Force and feel it, was akin to teaching him how to breathe. Corran never does anything without thinking, and I knew he would want step by step instructions, and surrendering to anything was beyond my son's abilities. It wasn't going to be easy, but no Halcyon would ever back down from a challenge.

*snickers* That definetely amused me. :p

And to top it off, as though coming out of a daze, Hobbie asked me, "Did you just say Jedi Knight?"

*giggles* Awww, poor Hobbie. :p That's why I love him though, :p

Hmmm, well this is defintely going to be interesting... Hal remembering how to be a Jedi and trying to teach Corran at the same time...

~Jenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.