main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I resent comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd play that RPG and so would you. Don't lie.

Gamiel and comradepitrovsky like this.
  2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I mean, obviously. I'd whine about how dumb it is the whole time though!

Jeff_Ferguson and Ulicus like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I honestly think that Sith, if not anyone else in the galaxy, function like RPG characters.

The more you kill, the more powerful you get.

So Palpatine is encouraging Anakin to level up.

I think this was canonically in-universe for the Jedi Exile.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "We're taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work." The Death Star was destroyed because Vader allowed the Rebels to escape with the plans. He is, no matter which way you slice it, directly responsible for the disaster. Maybe you could assign Tarkin a measure of blame for allowing Vader to go ahead with the idea - but Mauler wouldn't have had to worry about taking the shot had Vader not decided that allowing them to get away was a genius idea. (That's before you even get to Vader telling his wingmen "I'm on the leader" while pursuing Luke in the trench. Mauler didn't have the okay from Vader to take the shot in the first place!)
    I can't speak for "Star Wood" or whatever Zahn did because I'm not familiar with them, but "RPG faction loyalty quest" isn't even a little bit close to an accurate way to describe how things actually went in the canon Vader comic. Their relationship as depicted in that comic is, as you say, significantly more complicated and screwed up than that.

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So? Letting Leia escape with the plans so you can follow her to the base is exactly the kind of high risk/high reward gambit Palpatine adores. (Well, actually it wasn't, since it shouldn't have been a risk at all, since the Death Star shouldn't have been vulnerable like that in the first place.) And again, it would've worked if Tarkin hadn't been a hubristic loon and kept every one of his approximately eleventy million TIEs sitting in their hangers because he thinks his toy's invulnerable.

Hm? Oh no I meant, if Mauler hadn't run right into Vader and bounced him off the trench wall while gawking at the Falcon then Vader would've blown Luke away. Sorry, pronouns, I guess I didn't word that as clearly as I might have.

Well that's cool then. Good for the new Vader comic!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Isn't the risk, as far as Tarkin is concerned, in letting an extremely high profile / important / popular (?) rebel escape and then STILL not getting the base's location at the end of it all? I can't imagine he was thinking in terms of risk to the Death Star given the way he's characterised during the attack. Doesn't follow.

Been a while since I watched ANH, might be forgetting something.

darthcaedus1138, Daneira and Trip like this.
  7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Yeah, that occurred to me right after I posted. He's not even worried about risk to his Death Star, there; the risk he's talking about is not getting to execute Leia.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Benefit of reading the last few posts: Vader's wing-men have names. So there's Mauler, what's the other one?

Ulicus likes this.
  9. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I want to say it's Chaser (Turr's big brother!) but idk off the top of my head, Chaser might have been the guy Wedge kills. I only know Mauler for sure because he's the one who ruins everything and I love him

ETA yep I was wrong, Backstabber is the other wingmate. Chaser is indeed the one Wedge killed though so I guess I was like half right

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I just never came across this info before so it's fun to find out.

darthcaedus1138 and Trip like this.
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    lol look at this continuity scrub.

I didn't know either.

darthcaedus1138 and Daneira like this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I like to think that was his real name, not a code name. Like:

“These are my kids, Phil, Joe, Mauler, and Rob.”

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Let's not forget Dark Curse, who may or may not be the same pilot as Chaser.

14. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I can identify with the title of this thread. The endless hype and puffery that goes into selling comics is embarassing. The hype is put out there as if we are going to forget it one month later.

However, SW works naturally in a comics medium. Comics are partly responsible for inspiring SW to begin with. I just dislike being bombarded with the hype bombads every time I walk into a comic store. (i.e. latest death of Wolverine).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Join the trade side and you avoid all the hype.

16. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I joined the digital side. But I resent certain comic books events from Marvel and DC.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Easier and quicker to tune it out. The big two are never going to stop engaging in event bollocks. DC aren't quite as bad as Marvel, who are hooked on the event model.

Get away from the corporate superheroes and there's a vast amount of material to enjoy in comics.

Away from the events too, Marvel and DC do put out some good stuff as well.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  18. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Events are the entire reason I stopped reading Marvel apart from Star Wars. It's hard to get into a book when every six months, it's pulled into a universe-wide event or a crossover with three other books I don't read. Given some of their recent decisions, seems like I made the right call.

darthcaedus1138 and CooperTFN like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The one to keep an eye right now from Marvel is Hickman's X-Men.

20. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    The stuff they've been doing with X-Men recently has gotten my attention. I've always had trouble when I try to get into the franchise, but I'm considering giving it another attempt once the recent stuff comes out in trade form.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    If you promise to read one X-Man comic book, they have 5 more waiting for you. After you read those 5, there are 10 more waiting. Never closure, only new plot openings. This is why I generally stick to back issues of Marvel and DC.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's a nice OHC of these first 12 issues due December.
    You don't know the power of the trade side.

If you go for OHCs, you will be 6-18 months behind at any one time but will also know the exact shape of things to come.

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Every single marvel comic published before six months ago can be read for 10 dollars a month.

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Fair point about Tarkin and his questionable decision to not launch a couple zillion TIEs once it became clear the turbolasers weren't doing much good. Not so sure about that characterization of Palpatine though. But, I don't have to be. I appreciate your taking the time to satisfy my curiosity about where you were coming from.
    Got it. That makes a lot more sense now.
    I heartily recommend checking it out. It might surprise you a little!

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm looking away since I don't like what I see there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.