main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I Ship It!|Mod Challenge| The Force meta, humor

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Title: I Ship It!
    Author: Raissa Baiard
    Genre: Humor, crack!fic, meta
    Characters: The Force, Ezra Bridger, Mara Jade Blayne (AU Mara), Sabine Wren
    Timeframe: OT
    Synopsis: The Force is bored, so for fun it multi-ships across the multiverse.
    Notes: Written for the “Something Borrowed, Something New” Mod Challenge. The prompts I received were:
    • Trope: The Matchmaker
    • Words: Dust, Presumptuous, Simmer
    • Dialogue: "You're way too tough and stringy."

Thanks to @Findswoman for beta reading @};-
    ---------

The Force was bored.

It happened more than one might have thought, because it had an infinite attention span and an infinite amount of time to fill. And while it had an infinite number of ways to entertain itself, sometimes the sheer volume of possibilities made choosing just one quite a task. There was, fortunately, one option that never failed.

“I’m going to write a story.”

“Oh, really? What kind?” The Force talked to itself frequently. That had been one of the first things it had tried to combat boredom. While it sometimes talked to its creations, there was no one else it could really converse with on the same level. Talking to itself did get a bit tedious at times, though, because half the time it already knew what it was going to say.

“I think I’m in the mood for a romance.”

“Always a good choice! Who will our lead be?”

“Hmmm…let’s see…” The Force pulled out its index of OCs. It was quite the file, encompassing, as it did, every being that had ever and would ever live across the totality of all the universes— more characters than there were grains of sand on Tatooine ,which was essentially one large ball of sand. (The Force hadn’t been terribly inspired the day it created that one). There were more characters than there were motes of dust on the shelves of the Jedi Archives on Coruscant. More characters than the number of Iegan angels that could dance on the head of a pin.

It skimmed through the entries—beings that were young and old, short and tall, furry, scaly, leathery. Beings with pink, blue, purple, green and red skin. Terrestrial beings and aquatic ones. Sentient plants and crystalline creatures, Being of every size, shape and description, but it couldn’t find exactly what it was looking for. “No…no…no…you?” It paused briefly at the image of a sneering Dug, a species that the Force had created just to see what it would look like if there was a creature that walked on its hands and used its feet as arms. (They were prone to arthritis in their wrists and strained shoulders, but that wasn’t the Force’s problem.) “Mmm…no. You’re way too tough and stringy.”

“Stringy?! What difference does that make? You’re not planning on eating him, are you?”

“Well, it’s an aesthetic choice, isn’t it? Do you really see this fellow as a romantic lead?”

“How about this one, then? He's definitely not stringy.” The selected file belonged to an enormous greenish-brownish gastropod with a malevolent gleam in his eyes and a self-satisfied smile on his gaping mouth. “Stringy” was indeed not a word that could be applied to his massive, blubbery form.

“Er…” The Force considered this. It would certainly be a challenge to cast this particular Hutt as a romantic lead, but not one it felt up to pursuing at the moment. “Maybe some other time.”

It noticed a small “see also” note appended to the bottom of Jabba Desilijic Tiure’s file, which led to another character file, this one of a young Human man with blue-black hair and striking deep blue eyes, who apparently was in the habit of giving “Jabba the Hutt” as his alias.

“Now this is more like it! Ezra Bridger…” the Force murmured, scanning the young man’s biography. “Some real potential here. Now for the other half of our OTP?”

“What about her?” The Force indicated a girl with brightly colored hair and dressed in armor who was pictured next to Ezra in several images. “They seem to get on well, and he definitely seems to like her…”

“Too obvious. Anyway, not all friends have to wind up together. No…I think…yes, here we go!” It pulled up the file of a young woman with fiery red hair. She seemed to be scowling in many of the images; in some she was wielding a purple bladed lightsaber and a green bladed saber in others. “Mara Jade. I’ve always liked her.”

“What? She never even meets Ezra! And anyway, doesn’t she marry that Skywalker fellow?”

“In this particular universe and its offshoots, yes. But we’ve got plenty of other universes to play with. All it would take for them to meet one another is a few little tweaks.”

“But…you can’t change the continuity! We’ve put a lot of work into it! All those stories…all those characters!”

“Oh, relax. That isn’t even the prime continuity anymore. I’ve decided to call it ‘Legends’. Catchy, huh?”

“What?! When did you do that? Why did you do that?!”

“Because…reasons.” The Force waved away this ridiculous objection. (Metaphorically speaking; being incorporeal it couldn’t wave, as such.) It didn’t have to justify its decisions to anyone, not even itself. Especially not itself.

“Bit presumptuous of you to do that without consulting me.”

The Force ignored the indignant comment and continued to flip through the multitude of universes until it found what it was looking for: one of the universes in which Mara had never been discovered by Palpatine or his minions. (There were regular villains and then there was Palpatine. It had tried several times to write him out of the story, but somehow he kept popping up again) It pulled up the relevant file for the universe’s Mara, whose full name was Mara Jade Blayne. She had the same fiery hair and fiery spirit as her counterpart in the Legends continuity, but, having grown up with a home and loving family, she was considerably less bitter than that version. Her sense of humor ran to snark, and she was equally adept with the green-bladed lightsaber that her father, a survivor of the Jedi Purge, had taught her to use, and the blaster that her mother, an Imperial prefect-turned Jedi adept, had trained her with. The Force felt that this version of her would be an excellent match for young Ezra Bridger—and that her father would also get on well with Bridger’s father figure, Kanan Jarrus, since they had similar histories. It made a note to itself; there was potential for further stories there.

Now that it had chosen its romantic leads, the Force set about making the necessary changes in the timeline so that they could meet—and meet cute. As it had predicted, it really didn’t take much, just delaying a few key events a bit. Thus, the Spectre crew, of which Ezra was part, was available to take a mission to the obscure Outer Rim planet Merkesh, where Mara’s family lived. And when Ezra saw Mara in her family’s cantina, there were immediate sparks between the two. Before long, they were racing over the rooftops of Merkesh City together, escaping bounty hunters and Hutt thugs, and sharing an impetuous, adrenaline-fueled kiss.

“SQUEEEEEE!” the Force exclaimed. Now this was exactly the kind of story it had been hoping for! It hummed to itself in satisfaction.

Having stirred the pot, so to speak, the Force sat back and let things simmer. Mara and Ezra (or Marzra, as the Force liked to think of them) had more dates with more kisses, and declared their love for each other. Things were going swimmingly when Galactic events caught up with them. Mara joined the Rebellion proper…and then this universe’s Skywalker showed up and, perhaps due to some spillover from the Legends-verse, decided that Mara was his True Love™. The Force was compelled to intervene and nudge things back in the direction it wanted them to go. Fortunately, drastic action wasn’t required; it rather liked that Skywalker fellow and in some ways it felt guilty that Skywalker had gone through that whole embittered hermit phase in what was now the Prime Continuity.

Mara and Ezra’s relationship continued to unfold: engagement, marriage, children—first a son with blue-black hair and his mother’s mad lightsaber skills, then a red-haired daughter with her father’s ability to converse with animals. And a strange thing happened—the tiny tweaks that the Force had made to the timeline so that Mara and Ezra could meet sent the entire Galaxy in wildly different directions. Kanan Jarrus never stood atop a certain fuel tank, so he was alive and well for the Battle of Scarif and afterwards. He married Hera and was not only present for the birth of their son, Jacen, but they had a daughter and another son as well. The entire trajectory of the Jedi Order was changed by his presence and that of Mara’s parents (who, as the Force had predicted, quickly became friends with Kanan and Hera).

And Mara and Ezra’s story begat other stories as well: their children’s stories, and those of Kanan and Hera’s children, too. Stories about Sabine and a handsome young Mandalorian with a dry sense of humor and the family that they had together. Stories of a young, happy-go-lucky and slightly clumsy pilot from Hosnian Prime and his unlikely romance with Sabine’s younger daughter.

The Force smiled down on its work and knew that it was good. All was well with this universe, and there was undoubtedly a multitude of stories left to tell in it.

And yet…

A stray thought niggled at the back of the Force’s mind. “So…I wonder what would happen if Ezra had gotten together with Sabine after all?”

“What?!?!? But you said… Didn’t we just…?!?”

“I know, I know. But we’ve got all these other universes to play with! Surely in one of them Sabine and Ezra could be a couple. Ooh, we could call them Sabezra! Or EzBine! I ship it!”

The Force smacked its head (metaphorically speaking, of course, since it had neither a head to smack nor hands to smack with). There was nothing it could do when it got this way; it was truly incorrigible.

+++++++

Author’s Notes: A long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away… Ok, actually in the late 1990s here on this very fanfic board, I wrote a story called “Everyone Comes to Doran’s Place” (a.k.a. Casablanca in SPAAAACE) as a “how they met'' for the OCs I created to be Mara Jade’s parents, with fugitive ex-Jedi Domnic Jade/ Doran Blayne in the role of Rick Blaine and Force-sensitive Imperial Prefect Raissa Baiard as Prefect Renault, more or less. I meant to do a sequel that was all very tragic and (then) canon-compliant, but life happened and my writing fell by the wayside for a long time. I picked it back up when Lucasfilm announced that they were going to be making the sequel…except now Canon was Legends. And I said to myself “well, if it’s all just Legends anyway, then Mara gets to stay with her family and have a normal life. :p

And then I read “A New Dawn'', and the bitter, boozy pre-Rebels Kanan who was redeemed by a good woman had a lot in common with my bitter, boozy Doran who was redeemed by a good woman. I thought it would be fun to have the two of them meet. It struck me that Ezra was only a few years older than Mara, and they would probably hit it off as well—and then I thought “What if she met Ezra before she met Luke?” From that wild hare was born “Star Crossed” and with it the Marzra-verse, my generation spanning, canon-denying, happy endings for everyone universe that has taken on a life of its own.

So, yes, in this story I am the Force, and the Force is me :D Hey, if you can’t be shamelessly immodest and cast yourself as the supreme power of the universe in your fanfic, then why bother, right?

In case anyone is interested, the stories in the Marzra-verse (thus far) are:
    Mara & Ezra
    Ever After
    Love and Other Stupid Poodoo
    Not Your Mother's Life Day
    Teenage Rebellion
    When the Time Is Right
    Nothing’s More Important
    I Don’t Know How She Does It

Sabine Wren & Maximus Ordo
    Strategic Alliances

Kanan & Hera
    And They Lived Happily Ever After
    Do Not Disturb

Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus & Noemi Bridger
    Lost and Found
    Freaking Out: From The Journal Of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus
    A Freak Like Me
    (Not) The Ballad of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus
    The Journal of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus, Jedi Action Hero (or Something)
    Happiness Is a Warm Loth-Wolf

Wren Ordo & Kazuda Xiono
    Your Best Shot
    Meet the Aliit
    The Word for Kiss Is “Mureyca”
    Anything but Boring
    “Come Get Me, Ugly!”
    I’m a Believer
    Conversational Mando'a for Beginners
    A Different Side of You
    Comfort Food

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    The Force is all powerfull
    we writers can change canon and have fun with all the characters old and new

3. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Great job on a very fun story! =D= I love how the Force argues and banters with itself. And now I'm really curious what a Dug romance story would look like... [face_thinking] Do they hold feet by the candlelight? What do Dugs consider romantic?

Anyway, I really enjoyed all the jokes and meta comments sprinkled through this story, like how Palpatine kept popping up in so many universes and how there was a lack of inspiration when Tatooine was created. :p

I also liked how changing some details to create the Ezra/Mara story allowed other characters' stories to change and ripple goodness through the lives of themselves and other people around them.

Great work! :D

4. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    The Force as matchmaker, love it! :D I knew we would be in for some fun when you mentioned that idea to me, and you really pulled in off in spades. Why shouldn’t the Force be able to pair whom it wants with whomever else it wants at any time or simultaneously, given that (a) we are all its OCs and (b) it does, after all, have access to all possible characters in all possible universes at all times? Superimposing that concept on top of your own fic oeuvre, ocedarium, and oteparium (just made that one up!) was a stroke of genius and a spot-on commentary about the power of the fanfic writer—it’s true, we really have the potential to completely multiply and alter entire fictional universes at will (and thank goodness for that!). It really is all about the butterfly effect as stories beget stories and characters beget characters, and before you know it, you have a whole new ’verse or two. Plus, you worked in the “stringy” quote in a completely convincing way—I’m impressed, there, because that was a tricky one! You really hit this challenge out of the park—thanks so much for being a part of it! =D=

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Raissa Baiard Oh, what a wonderfully humorous story this is! I love how you personified the Force so much in this, and the idea of using the Force itself as a matchmaker is such a clever idea brilliantly executed here.

Ah, what an epic opening line this!

This part had me laughing, but it does ring so true that the Force would talk to itself because none of its creations could be on the same level yet also at the same time find conversing with itself tedious because it already knows what it is going to say. It's not always easy being omniscient and omnipotent I suppose!

I could so relate to the Force as a writer here. And I also am a huge fan of that parenthetical sentence about the Force not feeling terribly inspired the day it created Tatooine. So true that we all have off days! Even the Force!

I love the thought process behind the Force's creation of the Dugs, and the details about them being prone to arthritis made so much sense.

And well-done slipping in a hard line of dialogue into the story in a way that felt natural with the creative musings of the Force.

Ah, yes, it is indeed an aesthetic choice. More chuckles from me as I read this bit.

Hutts are definitely the opposite of stringy but for sure hard to cast or imagine in the role of romantic lead. No wonder the Force doesn't feel up to pursuing that endeavor at the moment!

Thanks for sharing such a fun and amusing piece! It was a joy to read!

7. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    I love a good crack!fic almost as much as I love crack!ships-- this was a fun read!

8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    "I knew it him, Horatio ..." :*

The Force confronting/debating/snarking with itself in this tale is just hilarious! Well done=D=

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but this was such a fun, creative read! :D

Just like that, I was hooked! [face_hypnotized]

Well, when you put it that way, it makes perfect sense that the Force needs a hobby, and like the best of us, it turns to fanfiction - erm, fan reality? :p Anyway, the meta throughout this story is just fantastic - I'm going to say that a dozen times again throughout this review, but it's true! =D=

The Force has a point. Half of it, anyway. :p

And so begins almost every plot bunny, ever. 8-}

The Force has a penchant for metaphor, it would seem. I love it!

Quite
    the penchant! This was an awesome use of the word "dust", that said! :D

You always have such a unique narrative voice that I really enjoy! This here is a prime example of why. [face_love] =D=

[face_rofl] [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

This line of dialogue folded itself in so naturally into your story, which is quite the trick! I never would have guessed that this was a prompt, based on the entirety of your prose. =D=

Ah, I see! Once thing would certainly lead to another here. :p

Amen to this! This was another excellent bit of meta - especially when Sabine/Maximus is right there. And then Wren/Kaz! [face_mischief] [face_love]

Welp, that still hurts, even in a bit of satire!

[face_rofl] [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

There's nothing I don't love about your prose here.

This is something I say to myself all the time. :p Another excellent use of the prompt word!

THIS, because you know it's true! o_O :rolleyes:

Infinite potential! [face_mischief]

I feel a kinship with the Force here, which is something I never thought I'd say. :p

Another excellent use of the prompt word. [face_mischief]

I appreciate the Force's POV here. Too true!

Aw, but this was a lovely glimpse of your vast portfolio of work from a very unique standpoint! [face_love]

And we're back to square one! A+ humor here is A+! [face_rofl]

Incorrigible, indeed! :p

Thank you for sharing this awesomely creative response to the challenge with us! I enjoyed every word from start to finish.

=D= [:D]

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A few weeks ago I was browsing the fanfic boards and I saw your title, and I thought hmmmm, there's something here... and now I read it and Oh. My. Freaking. Goodness!

I don't think I ever read a self-insert where the author was the Force, for starters, and I loved the "personality" you gave it, as well as the various theological considerations ("more characters than the number of Iegan angels that could dance on the head of a pin" ?!?!? [face_rofl] ) and of course the Canon/Legends snark, including but not limited to Palpatine's return. I actually think that this is a pretty good introduction to your AU, and never has the word "universe" been more appropriate than to describe what you've been writing for the past several years.
    Holy moly, imagine if the Book of Genesis didn't stop right there, in how much trouble we'd be!

This was fantastic fun, Raissa. I have this goofy smile plastered on my face now and I know that it will stay around for a few hours. Thank you!