main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I want some vegan characters/cultures/species in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TofuJedi, Dec 10, 2020.

1. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    If vegan appear in Star Wars then they should be realistic i.e they should spend all their screen time to tell other character they are vegan. [face_laugh]

I think it Luke vegetarian meat-free snack, which is why Yoda say "How you get so big eating food of this kind?" and why Luke make the grimace when he eat Yoda tasty meat stew. [face_laugh]

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't even see why this matters in the first place. Lucas may have said in some interview that the Jedi are vaguely based on Buddhism, but it by no means indicates that every single aspect of Jedi philosophy is exactly like Buddhism, of which there are many different and differing branches anyway.
    If you are vegetarian or vegan, I guess you have your own reasons for that. Why look for justification in an imaginary fantasy world? I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan nor Buddhist, and am not ashamed of my viewpoint. I don't eat much meat, and could certainly live without it, but I'm not dogmatic about it.
    Lastly, being vegan doesn't automatically make you a peaceful person, nor does eating meat make you an aggressive war mongering monster.
    Live and let live!

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed! Live and let other animals live for their own sakes. Recognize everyone's natural right to do so and act accordingly.
    That is the way of compassion; the way of the Jedi; the way of peace. Knowingly and willingly contributing to the exploitation of others despite knowing that there is no need for us humans to exploit them... is not.

4. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
  5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  6. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Well, only ten minutes into any one of the movies and you know for a fact that few factions in the GFFA have major problems with killing sentient life. I suppose eating is a different issue.

Jedi Knight Fett, Sarge and Dandelo like this.
  7. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think this would be equally offensive to vegans and meat eaters. It's got to be Sith food, absolutely.

[​IMG]

9. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That sounds potentially disgusting!
    ...but I've never been afraid of mixing flavors that have no business sharing a plate, so let me know if you see a plant-based version :p

Huttese 101 likes this.
  10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    /endthread. ;)

11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    End thread? I believe this thread exists because veganism is close to nonexistent in Star Wars.
    I also believe that a few decades from now, if Star Wars is still going strong, we will see less exploitation of innocent creatures. Rian Johnson had the right idea with the fathiers. Then JJ had the Resistance ride orbaks into battle, which was saddening to see, but progress isn't linear. With time, patience and a lot of work, we'll get there.

12. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    I suspect that veganism and the use of alien animal is not high on the priority of thing to include in a space fantasy series like Star Wars.

13. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    yes, a tongue in cheek response to the fact of the point Veganism should be somehow included in a movie franchise called Star Wars.

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    They could put a healthy smoothie bar in on the Star Destroyers bridges.

15. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    they can also show future SW movies without laser swords and blasters. The less we see of these things in our fantasy films the better.

16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Do the Ithorans count?

Huttese 101 likes this.
  17. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Veggie Wars is good idea for a new franchise, starring

Luke Soywalker
    Grand Tofu Tarkin
    Darth Vegan
    Chewbroccoli
    Lentil Calrissian

[face_laugh]

18. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Uncle Orange
    Aunt Beetroot
    Omega Twelve Kenobi
    R2-B12
    Zinc-C3PO

paradigmes and Dandelo like this.
  19. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Why would the concept even exist in a different galaxy? SW is not meant to reflect every movement and trend in Earth societies. That would be so boring. I want to see something different, not a copy of modern Earth. Then I might as well watch a contemporary movie set today on our planet.

20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    You're asking why the concept of compassion towards different animal species, including those who do not speak and aren't seen as citizens of society, would exist in the GFFA.
    I have to ask: Why wouldn't it?
    Perhaps the word "veganism" triggers something in you. That's not for me to say, but it's certainly triggering for a lot of people.
    What a lot of people have yet to see is that it's just a word that signifies a way of life; a way of life that recognizes every single animal's worth as an individual who experiences life from an individual perspective with sensory and emotional responses; a way of life that respects every individual's natural right to live for their own sake and seeks to avoid all forms of exploitation because needless suffering is an evil that contributes to a violent, unbalanced, sick world; a way of life that, simply put, respects life.

So you see, this isn't about words or specific movements. Veganism is not a diet or a trend. It's an expression of compassion, which is exactly what Star Wars preaches.
    Some of us just feel that Star Wars, not least of all through the Jedi, could - and should - be more inclusive in its compassion. No life-form, no matter how intelligent/unintelligent, is more/less important to the universe than any other. Everyone serves a purpose and everyone who disrupts the natural balance is ultimately disposable.
    The Jedi know this and I believe more and more people at Lucasfilm will realize what this truly means. Which is why I believe that Star Wars will, inevitably, become more vegan in how it expresses compassion.
    The word "vegan" will not be uttered on screen, but that's not the point. Again, it's just a word.

21. Darth Spookious

Darth Spookious Jedi Master star 1

Oct 30, 2014
    You want vegan, try spice, pumpkin spice, and lots of it.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    No, it doesn't trigger anything in me, don't worry. My opinion is "to each his own". What I don't agree with is that veganism is where every society is necessarily headed. There are so many cultures and ways of life on our planet, and not all of them are headed into that direction. Consider practically all of East Asia, India, Latin America, Africa, Arab countries, and you can easily come up with 3/4 of the world's population. I have spent enough time in Asia to be pretty sure most of the cultures there are not going to go vegan anytime soon.
    Now with SW, it's even more complicated, because we have many different species, not just cultures.
    You don't have to be violent and cause suffering in order to eat meat. Sure, the world is sick in many ways, but I don't see cultures eating meat to be a factor. Sure, the meat industry causes many problems, including environmental ones. But what about an indigenous tribe in the Amazon, that hunts only to survive? Are they evil too?
    But this might escalate and go further off-topic. And frankly I don't want to be part of a discussion about problems in our world. We all know they exist, but not everyone agrees on how to solve them.
    Finally, to make the connection to SW again, Luke for one certainly isn't vegan. He drinks some animal's milk in TLJ. Now vegans don't eat ANY animal products, including eggs, dairy etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    KyleKartan likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I went vegan 90 percent due to the animal agriculture industry which views animals as products to be exploited and not as living beings, and 10 percent for health reasons. I personally do not judge everyone who eats meat, but I do judge people who view animals in that way.

I think these quotes that I found this morning fit well with the Jedi philosophy:

"The Universe is composed of subjects to be communed with,

not objects to be exploited.

Everything has its own voice.

Thunder and lightening and stars and planets, flowers, birds,

animals, trees -- all these have voices,

and they constitute a community of existence

that is profoundly related."
    ~Thomas Berry

"It became obvious to me that Nature has her own language.
    She speaks through the animals, the trees, and the cool summer breeze. She whispers, embrace me, and I do."
    ~Red Deer Runs In Darkness

Ithorians and Lulu Mars like this.
  24. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    To become more vegan would suggest to me that currently, the Star Wars show a lot of meat eating. But there is not even many eating scenes period, let alone where it show characters actively killing animal and / or eating meat.

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I repeat:
    It's a way of life that:
    ...of nonhuman animals. For example, experimentation for medical purposes, using body parts to make clothes/tools/furniture/cosmetics/medicine etc, forced labor in agriculture/sports/war, keeping them locked up in zoos...

There are many instances of people using nonhumanoid animals in various ways in Star Wars. In some cases, you might be able to argue that the people in question (such as the tusken raiders with the banthas) don't have much of a choice and actually take good care of the animals (and in that particular case, I'd agree), but in most cases, I'd say that that's not true.
    Most importantly, it's extremely rare for Star Wars to portray such exploitation as problematic (The case with the fathiers is the only one that springs to mind at the moment). In general, I think it's still seen as romantic when the hero rides a trusted steed into battle - and it will probably continue to be seen that way for quite a while.