main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I will write a better Star Wars Episode 7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BretHart, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    There were hundreds of prequel rewrites after the dust settled. People were disappointed after the prequels and every rewrote the stories. I am one of them. I rewrote the entire Prequel Trilogy , made a website for it, paid an editor, hired girls to advertise the site, and hired a concept artist... I did it because I thought I could do a better job than most people. And I also did it as therapy because like many hardcore SW fans, I was disappointed.

So now, after I wrote the prequels, I came up with ideas for Episode 7. But I stopped because I thought it would be a waste of time when I had so much confidence in JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasden. I figured it would be a sure hit. My biggest disappointments in film were:

Prequels (thats another topic thats been done to death)
    Spider-Man 3 - Sam Raimi must have been burnt out by the previous two films
    Iron Man 3 - new director
    Avatar - James Cameron first and only bad film

So fast forward, I got to see Episode 7 first day like many others, I bought all the hype, but kept myself from spoilers. I really believed this was the one that would not disappoint me after so much hype. The movie started, got goosebumps like everyone else. And then once Poe Dameron told the 'do you talk first or do i" punchline, it was all downhill from there.... I love how Star Wars is getting attention. I love how its so mainstream and might overthrow Avatar, the worst of the two evils. But as a hardcore SW fan, I'm SHOCKED at how all the film's flaws are being forgiven by fellow SW fans. I did enjoy it as a sci fi film - but as a SW film, I hold it to a higher standard and it didn't deliver. I think once I saw Snoke scenes, those were the ones that really drove the film to make me just upset. The talk of practical effects, all lies. I already went into my complaints in another thread, so I'm not going to rehash that subject matter....

But after I got a lot of positive feedback for my prequel rewrites, some being fellow members of this forum - I just decided I would rewrite Episode 7. And the one thing I did for the prequels was I didn't keep anything, everything I wrote was new. I didn't use dooku , darth maul, trade federation, yoda fighting - I literally designed the prequel trilogy straight from scratch and really aimed at entertaining the fans of the Original Trilogy.... And I was smart and posted my prequel rewrites before the Force Awakens release, so even the "jedi are a myth" concept that ppl liked in episode 7 , I used that exact phrase in my story, but about Yoda being a 'myth' and the Jedi just being a rumor (the biggest change is there were no thousands of Jedi - I made about 20 of them in my prequels)

For the Episode 7 rewrite, same rules apply. There is no Kylo Ren, no Poe Dameron, no First Order or Resistance, no map to Luke Skywalker, there is ESP no comic relief "jar jar light" Finn nor will there be the Mary Sue Rey who masters the Force in 10 minutes. And no Jakku and no Maz AND ESP NO SNOKE (horrible name btw). I didnt like any of that stuff. There are things that HAVE to be similar - such as Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia have to be in it - but I think its also important to carry on the Skywalker lineage to a new generation of characters. And I also really like the idea of a female lead for a new trilogy. Another male would be a replicant of Anakin or Luke. So those concepts have to kept same - but as far as characters, story is concerned - should be all new and fresh....

I listed some ideas and concepts that I want to explore and have already came up with the first draft outline. My editor is a very intelligent professional writer and I'll use her for feedback to change the bad stuff to good. The key is rewriting, rewriting your work. It works better that way.

Anyway, any feedback is helpful for me. Any ideas I should stay far away from ??? And you guys should check out my prequel trilogy if you're interested in how credible I am as a writer. Maybe I suck, maybe I'm not bad... The feedback from the forum members here have been wonderful and appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Mod Post: Hey there. We do not allow threads asking for help on one specific story here in fanfic resource, as per the fanfic FAQ. You are more than welcome to ask for help on a specific topic here in the Writer's Help Desk, and of course, get direct feedback if you post your story over on the story subforum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.