main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I wish Decipher could see this...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BosskMaul, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    Topics in the Decipher SW CCG forum: 1006

Topics in the WoTC SW TCG forum: 219

Long live the REAL Star Wars card game. I really, really hope they reaquire this liscence one of these days.

2. less_in_length

less_in_length Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, giving the license only to WotC is big, big mistake. IMHO, SW:CCG is the best card game ever made - ever!

3. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I stopped buying cards after Decipher stopped making them :(

4. peasulroo

peasulroo Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004
    Is there any practical chance that Decipher might reacquire the license once it runs out with WotC?

5. less_in_length

Jan 28, 2005
    If you search around EBay and judging how much cards go for and how many unique bidders there are, I think it is obvious that there is still a high demand for CCG cards (although they might cost a lot due to the fact that Decipher stopped producing them). I mean, CCG is part of the reason why I kept my interest in SW...I just wish I could've bought boxes of cards the instant they announced they've lost their license, instead of thinking "Nah, these won't increase in price" or "there will be plenty of cards circulating if I want some." But instead it is hard to find packs. I mean, the only place I could find packs is at TRU and EBay (which I just bought a box). Sadly, it may be my last packs of CCG cards that I will ever open (Although I am considering getting another box of cards).

I have many great memories of playing CCG - I remember teaching some friends on how to play CCG after two hours, they were instantly hooked. However, when I tried out the TCG game, I was like "this is kind of boring." And I've only played it once or twice, and now all my TCG cards is a dust collector. In other words: nothing can beat the shear "funness" of CCG. It was/is probably one of the most deepest card gaming experiences I've ever hard. I mean, what other card game has locations, planets, racing, betting, dueling, objective oriented gameplay, and politics?

I've still kept my interest in CCG years after Decipher had lost their license. One thing that I cannot understand is why can both Decipher and WotC both have the same license? I mean, LucasFilm should've let them both have the SW license for about two years or so and see which card game is doing better, then they should decide which company should keep the license, instead of having predictions that TCG will be better than CCG.

I've probably spent thousands of dollars on CCG cards (which I think it is worth it down to the cent), however, when I spent about twenty dollars to try out TCG, I thought to my self "well, this is a waste of money..." - I've spent a lot of money on many SW toys, games, etc. But what I usually end getting over the rest is CCG cards. It is a shame that Decipher has lost their license...

/rant

(Yes, I know Decipher losing their license is old news, but I just wanted to rant).

6. BosskMaul

Sep 29, 2004
    I'm withya. Have you ever checked out any of the Virtual Cards on swccgpc.com? Those are tourney legal and everything. They took alot of crap rares and the Jedi pack mains and made them good.

7. Xenon_gun

Xenon_gun Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2005
    Well, although it's highly improbable that Decipher will get the license back, it would be great if they would. I converted from TCG to CCG (TCG is solid and quick, but CCG is more interesting) because CCG cards look better, give out more information (TCG is improving, but still not good enough), and play better. I haven't played CCG more competitively, so I don't know if there are "Killer Decks" which defeat everything but a deck specially made to defeat them (TCG decks are more like this)
    The biggest thing which attracts me to CCG is that the cards are quite accurate representations of their SW counterparts -> playing sabacc, capturing, battles, interrupts, objectives, starships, characters: gamblers, spies, informants, troopers, etc.

If Decipher gets the license back, let's call it "A New Hope"

8. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Is there any practical chance that Decipher might reacquire the license once it runs out with WotC?

This was asked 100 times a day when the license first switched. At the time, I emphatically said "No," there's no way Decipher would ever get the license back. You see, SWCCG was a real threat to WOTC. It was consistently the #2 CCG right behind WOTC's MAGIC. Even if WOTC's own SW:TCG is a "flop" (and I'm not saying it is), they have effectively taken out their main competition.

But now the TCG market has changed. Now UDE (Yu-Gi-Oh) is the main threat to WOTC. Decipher is rapidly becoming an also-ran in the TCG market ... LOTR is losing ground, and ST 2e never really took off, and obviously none of the other four games they've released have succeeded (.hack/enemy, beyblade, megaman, and most notably WARS).

WOTC (owned by Hasbro, remember that!) won't be giving up the license any time soon, not while Star Wars fever is still so high. But some day in the next 3-5 years, maybe. But who will pick the license up? Decipher may not be interested. Could UDE pick it up? Could there be a Star Wars VS. set in our future?? :) And if UDE were interested in picking it up, WOTC might fight even harder to keep the license. But also keep in mind, even if by some twist of fate Decipher DID get the license back ... it would not be the same SW:CCG you have today.

Bottom line, you just never know what the future might bring.

9. less_in_length

Jan 28, 2005
    I've played a lot of different TCG/CCG games, but what stood out the most is CCG, mostly because is very different from the rest. When I try to play another TCG/CCG game, I usually think to myself "Gee, this is awfully a lot like [blank]." Where the blank basically includes everything (besides SW:CCG) I've played.

10. BosskMaul

Sep 29, 2004
    If Decipher ever does get that liscence back, I want the same game, same card faces, maybe some new mechanics, but same game. It worked, it was the best. I can only imagine the treatment AOTC and ROTS would get.

11. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    If you're wondering what the Star Wars CCG would be should Decipher get the licence back, then I highly suggest you check out WARS. Buy a couple of starters and learn the game, because that is probably what a new Star Wars CCG would be.

Personally, I'd welcome the change. The revamped Battle Phase (which ditches all the sub-phases like the Weapons Segment, Power Segment, etc.) is way slicker. And I really thought that the support icon mechanic kept the game honest.

It's tru you don't know what could happen. However I wouldn't diss Decipher, LOTR, or Trek too much ;)

The new War of the Ring block has been immensely well-received...

Trek 2e is actually beating out LOTR in average Territorial attendance at 2 to 1...

And Decipher in general made very smart decisions when they retired .hack and MegaMan and put WARS on hiatus. Now they can focus solely on LOTR and Trek and start to build up funds for whatever future projects they are looking at. It may not be Star Wars, but if they have a shot to bring it back if only for the fans.. who knows. Until then, we've got to keep on playing and showing Decipher, wotc, and Lucasfilm that nothing can kill the single greatest card game in this galaxy or any other!

(Wow that felt good LOL!)

12. Card_Dreamer

Card_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2003
    I too miss the good ol SW CCG game. It was my favorite of them all!

Someone said the Virtual cards were..."good" ewwww =P

I'm sorry, although I found a couple to be good, I, in the overall scheme, thought they were HORRIBLE. They are overkill and poorly designed when held against Decipher's.

More and more the V cards steer towards "my ub3r l33t powerful card that does everything I could ever want" and not gameplay and balance.

I mean, they made a symbol for:

Immune To Alter
    Immune To Control
    Immune To Sense
    Adds <insert #> to anything he/she pilots

It's just redundant They make more and more symbols to free up more space to do more with 1 card, insteadof just making more cards...I really felt they over did the V cards and I refuse to play them

13. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    The problem is George Lucas has become a Dark Lord of the Sith bent on making money. Why did Wizards get the card game? Because they got everything Star Wars sometime between 1999 and 2002. Hasbro, a Wizards subsidy, makes all the toys. Wizards got the RPG. Then they got the card game. They got the Star Wars Insider magazine, which is now one long ad for Wizards products. Wizards paid out the wazoo to get all that, and that all goes to Lucasfilm and its subsidiaries. They didn't care that Decipher had held the contract for years and sales were skyrocketing. Giving the game to Wizards would seal the marketing deal. Money is now the driving force behind Lucasfilm. That's why there's ads on StarWars.com, everything worth reading is Hyperspace content, 4 out of 5 news items are ads. It's why Lucas wants to tinker with the classic trilogy, and probably the prequel trilogy when a box set comes out, instead of listening to the fans. George Lucas is dead. He was killed by Darth Moola.:mad:
    [/vent]

14. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Now I've heard everything ... :rolleyes:

Switch to decaf, dude. [face_talk_hand]

15. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    I tend to get a little worked up when it comes to the marketing scheme of Lucasfilm. I was a big fan of the CCG and the Insider.

16. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    After all the games I've played, including being a *major* advocate (and still am) for WotC SWTCG, I think the best card game ever is Wars, even though it was put on hiatus. However if the same "updates" (one card back, five mixable factions, support icons, cleaner steps and rules, encampments) were applied to the SW universe in a SWCCG second edition type release, I would quickly switch.

edit: why can't I ever check my spelling *before* hitting submit!

17. spideyguy0

spideyguy0 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    I'd also like to mention that Lucas himself owns a very large share of Hasbro, so not only is he making money off the lisences, but he's making money off the money that Hasbro brings in from the lisences.

18. Reinn

Reinn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I love WotC. The Star Wars RPG is about as good as it gets when talking about RPGs. But Star Wars TCG reminds me of the Jedi Knights CCG that Decipher made and I couldn't get into that either. Star Wars CCG felt like playing the movie with cards. It wasn't easy, but there was a level of satisfaction seeing Darth Vader freeze Luke in carbonite and then shuttling him to the Emporer before turning him to the dark side.

19. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I played the CCG from the first release of Hoth till the end. I'm still pissed that Decipher lost the rights. I tried the TCG and cried it was so bad. The CCG was great because of the strategy that it involved. It required players to be intelligent and mature. The TCG amounted to little more than getting lucky with dice rolls. This made the game inviting to the little kids that were into the Pokemon CCG. I'd had enough bad experiences with those kids to know that they were the type to stay away from.

Meanwhile, I still have all my cards. Every single set. Unfortunately, there's no players left in my region. However, one of my friends and I developed an internet version of the CCG so we still occasionally play.

20. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Well. . . I guess so, if you've never actually touched another RPG in your entire life. Yeah, I could see that.

21. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    this game needs to come back.....nuf said.....

I'd also like to see a continuation of Young Jedi.

22. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Technically speaking, the game never went anywhere. There's been a legion of devoted fans that continue playing it to this day. There's even still World Championships with prize support. Granted, the companies involved in creating it stopped supporting it, but the players have been carrying it along through the years. Heck, it'll even outlive Wizards' lame TCG version. Go figure... heh...

Flashes SW:CCG gang sign,
    Yours Truly

23. yado1

yado1 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2005
    Oh hell yeah, the SWCCG is the greatest card game on the planet. It sucks major a** that decipher lost the rights, but there is nothing that WoTC can make that will make me stop playing. I will stop playing when i am dead, till then screw the other card games out there. If some one wants to take my cards then it will be over my dead body.

Is there any one on here from the tri-cities or yakima areas of Washington state?

24. Novahawk9

Novahawk9 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 21, 2005
    I agree, I'm never getting rid of my cards. Decipher's game was awesome, they should get the rights back. It's obvious that the new game isn't selling.

25. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    The WotC game is currently suspending creating cards and selling.

But, its super naieve to even think Decipher would get the license back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.