main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ian McDiarmid (Plapy) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 24, 2018.

?

Will it be revealed that Palpatine created Vader in episode IX?

1. Yes

143 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

196 vote(s)
    57.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Most everything I explained was from ROTJ- the Aftermath novel only shows the scene where Palps tells Rax about the shatterpoint and he commands him to move his personal SSD to the UR. That's what I love about where TROS seems to be heading because there is so much in ROTJ to support it not being as clean an ending as it seemed.

2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I see. So TFA, Star Trek, MI3, and Super 8 are retcons. Hasty generalizations are the stock-in-trade of hack writers.

3. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Abrams has tremendous difficulty adapting his own ideas to existing infrastructure. MI:3 had several retcons when it came to characterization, so your own examples aren't exactly well-chosen; Abrams didn't write Star Trek, and Super 8 was an "original" (see: derivative) concept. He's intransigent, determined to contradict anything in his path if it means realizing his particular "vision."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Shadao likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think what will be revealed is Palpatine created a number of beings, Rey, the kid with the broom and many others. He left them in unfortunate circumstances so they would either become stronger via overcoming hardship or else die off.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Interesting idea. And going by your theory, hardship in life giving them a reason to embrace darkness.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    So there are retcons and contradictions in TFA.

7. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm still hung up on the whole implication that Palp's survival/if he's a clone will be ambiguous. I do hope it's explained properly in the movie because as it's stands it sounds very convoluted.

*If he simply survived ROTJ then it opens up holes about the prophecy and the whole exploding into blue flames thing.
    *But if he's a clone then why is he so old and scarred from the lightning in ROTS.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I wouldn't be shocked if there was no explanation.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Just posted this in the JJ thread, but it's more relevant here.

"Honestly, if they DON'T reference Plagueis to explain Palpatine's return then it will be a major fail. I don't like the idea of bringing Palpatine back, but if they're going to do it, that's the ONLY way to attempt an explanation."

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I don't know if Plaguis reference is urgent but a cheating death reference certainly is. I mean, he did just that. Maybe only his own kin can kill him.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    They're really one in the same. Plagueis is known only for his ability to use the force to cheat death. A skill he only taught his apprentice. That's a gift wrapped, in-universe, lore based way to explain Palpatine's survival. It ties into the previous saga films, connects to Anakin's original reason for falling, and finally answers the question about whether or not Palpatine was lying to Anakin about the power or not. It's really the only way to explain Palpatine's survival that isn't just an out-of-nowhere, horrible retcon of ROTJ.

Darth Caliban and Glitterstimm like this.
  12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm not sure if Plagueis necessarily needs to be named outright, but the explanation for Palpatine's return must reference that he learned the power from his master, or from his Sith predecessors. The point of the rule of two, and the implication of the The Tragedy story is that the Sith have become increasingly powerful over a thousand years all building up to the culmination of their conspiracy, the destruction of the Jedi. That needs to come across one way or the other, and a direct reference to Plagueis is probably the easiest.

I'm still very supportive of the decision to bring him back, because it's a natural way to tie the saga together. As long as Luke and Anakin still participate in his final demise, then I think that is the correct way to finish off the saga, even if it's too late to save TFA and TLJ. If it can provide a decent explanation for Snoke and the origin of the FO then that's even better.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He doesn't. Simply referencing the power to cheat death, IS a Plagueis reference. That was my point.
    Exactly this.

Darth Caliban and Glitterstimm like this.
  14. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Gotta figure Sidious has learned more than Plagueis ever did by this point, he's had enough time and he's achieved more eilv-Sith-y-wise.

But yeah, some little vague line about being put on the path to immortality by his master would be cool. I just don't think Plagueis ever completed/had a total hold on the ability - if Palpatine's the "GFFA Satan" per George, stands to reason he's expanded on what he'd learned and achieved some stuff only he's ever managed to do.

15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Perhaps they will have a flashback of the Opera scene, just to remind the GA, because it seems to me that a lot of the fans here have completely forgotten about this insignificant aspect of the PT.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  16. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    It still retcons ROTJ but now adds a retcon of ROTS on top of it.

Sorry but I think there is no logical way to explain Palpatine coming back that doesn’t impact the story of 1-6.

17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    nm

18. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Of course it does. Of course the entire ST lives on a retcon or ten, so why stop now?

19. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    He doesn't have to say the name Plagueis nor say he learned to cheat death from his master. Hell, knowing Sidious, he probably fed Plagueis the knowledge to cheat death in some elaborate plot that just kept him distracted until he was no longer useful. Palpatine just has to explain the dark side ability that helped saved him on the death star. That same ability could be an answer Kylo is looking for when it comes to how Snoke survived his own initial injuries. It also seems to be tied to Rey and her ability to heal giant worms.

20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Of course. He was previously dead. But not all retcons are inherently bad.

21. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    I didn’t say they were.

22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You seem to be representing them as a negative here.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't call the biggest motivation for Anakin to join the dark side insignificant. It's literally the main reason that he betrays everyone, and sides with Palpatine. His desperation to learn the power to save Padme.

Wait, you're being sarcastic, aren't you?
    Technically, but it's an in-universe retcon based on lore that was previously mentioned. That's a big difference to it just coming out of nowhere. As I said above, I don't like it, but they're doing it. This is the way to make it connect with something in the previous saga films.
    This is very true.

Miles Lodson and Glitterstimm like this.
  24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    ;)

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And, to add to my above statement, I wouldn't be surprised if this came from George. If they came to George and said "We want to bring Palpatine back, how do we do it?" this would be his answer.

alwayslurking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.