main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ian McDiarmid (Plapy) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 24, 2018.

?

Will it be revealed that Palpatine created Vader in episode IX?

1. Yes

143 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

196 vote(s)
    57.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. Plenty of Sith Lords caused some damage but Sidious is the one who went around offering literal Faustian bargains which brought the entire galaxy to its knees. I love me some Freedon Nadd and Bane and Revan and such but Sidious is the Satan of the GFFA.

lawton, Maud'dib, Bor Mullet and 6 others like this.
  2. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Lucas actually stated in an interview that Anakin, with his crazy midichlorian count, came into being at the same time Palpatine was growing in power. The light to counterbalance the dark, but then things went wonky as they are apt to do in the gffa. He purposely left it ambiguous as to how Anakin was created, but his creation correlated to Palpatine's rise in the dark side. Which is a theme we've seen repeated in the ST.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    It really shows how much faith they have in Kylo being the villain when they decide to bring back Palpatine. LOL. Maybe they realized that setting up the guy who got his ass beat in the first movie as the final big bad wasn't such a good idea after all.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think they should bring in the Night’s King as well. And maybe also Sauron. And Skeletor.

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Yeah. I mean, personally I was never a fan of the idea that Sheev literally created Anakin through force-mojo, was behind the immaculate conception, but it definitely does make sense that the Force would choose to bring its "chosen one" into being at the same point in time as the great evil's rising.

I kinda just prefer that to be a natural-order thing rather than Palpatine continuing Plagueis' research and eventually managing to create a life (exceptionally powerful life at that), like the end of EpI is the first time Sheev becomes aware of Anakin and then-and-there decides to corrupt that goodness into darkness over the long game, but it does work narratively either way.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He is the culmination of a thousand year plot to conquer the galaxy. As GL said, he is the revenge of the Sith.
    The dark side's Chosen One, more or less.

His first name might as well have been Damien.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  7. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    A lot of rumors and speculation have Sidious "possessing" different individuals, and living on in that way. What always struck me as odd about that is it feels a bit... too much? Like the fact that someone can lose their free will and have their consciousness replaced with someone else's just doesn't sit well for me and is a bit hokey.

I remember back in the day there were rumors for TFA that the main villain (I believe it was before we knew he was named Snoke?) would be a zombie, almost Boris Karloff-like figure. There were also rumors that part of Luke's disappearance revolved around guarding the tomb of some evil being.

What if these were the early ideas and plans for what would eventually become Snoke, more specifically the rumored Palpatine-possessed Snoke?

I think Snoke is actually a dead body taken over by Palpatine. Snoke already looks like a half-rotted corpse, and the idea of Palpatine only living on in corpses is a lot more creepy and fitting to me than possession of living beings. Maybe the body of Snoke is an old, mummified Sith that Palpatine re-animated, or even the body of his master Plagueis that he kept for safe keeping as he learned to transfer his spirit to host bodies.

Still kind of hokey, but I like it better. Maybe the body needs to be strong in the dark side/force? And so Palpatine desires to find a younger, more powerful body to lure to their death and then possess them?

Roosterq and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  8. Maud'dib

Maud'dib Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 12, 2019
    They are gonna bust out the clones he had in the EU.

9. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    The Knights of Ren are clones of young Palpatine. "I am the Knights of Ren" [face_laugh]

10. SKYGUY23

SKYGUY23 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2014
    I remember a post awhile back saying Kylo would be dragged down to the HELL or neitherworld by a hand or something

. Now im seeing the spirit of Sidious dragging Kylo with Force lighting down into hell laughing.

PCCViking likes this.
  11. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Just one question .... who is Plapy?

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Nom von Anor likes this.
  13. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think they made a good decision myself. I just didn't see how they could make a good movie with it Kylo v. Rey only basically in Ep 9. Now even with Snoke's body gone they can have the big scene with Kilo being killed helping to stop the big baddy.

Jedi Historian likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rise of the Skywalker refers to Palpatine being revealed as a Skywalker!

Glitterstimm, Alpha-Red and lawton like this.
  15. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    No that’s Palpy.....I wanna know who plapy is. I can’t comment on this thread if i don’t know who that is.

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

He's the guy Chris Platt is playing before he takes the role of Indian Jones.

17. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I wonder whether Palpatine had already experienced death prior to his fall above Endor. If so, it would be a nice nod to that line from Dark Empire: "It was not the first time I died . . . nor will it be the last! Such are the mysteries of the dark side of the Force!"

Of course, the context in Rise would likely be different—no clones. But considering that his master was purported to have been able to resurrect others, it is not too great a stretch to imagine that he had done this with Palpatine himself at least once, if not many times. I can imagine Palpatine being killed and resurrected again and again during his apprenticeship. Perhaps Endor was rather the first time he died in the decades following his master's own death. Perhaps having died and come back so many times in the past could be part of why he was not completely vanquished. It could have been an echo of whatever horrors Plagueis inflicted on him during his formative years. Horrors that, likely, Palpatine himself would eventually have encouraged if it meant some kind of survival for him.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  18. Chewie's flea powder

Chewie's flea powder Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    It may not be that relevant, but the Sith Emporer in Star Wars the Old Republic (his name is Vitiate) is a dark side spirit who possesses others in order to achieve immortality. The lore had to be cleared by Lucas Arts before making it into the game.

19. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    Ultimate evil, to me is much bigger than palpatine. I believe the reveal will be of that ultimate evil. Palpatine was just another host body....and a culmination of dark side force power being passed on and on. Plays right into the idea that Rey gets to absorb all force knowledge from fallen ghost jedi.

And once that ultimate evil reveals itself, The first order will see that it had been duped all along...and will realign them with the resistance. ala (clones were good, then unwittingly went bad....now good again).

Turinsd00m likes this.
  20. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I agree, Palps was an amazing baddie but there isn't anything in the films so far to suggest he wasn't being manipulated himself. In fact, I like to think that whenever his voice drops as he says: "dark lord of the Sith" in the PT- it's a hint that there is something else lurking behind his power. Since there are now new canon materials that suggest he was hearing a call from The Beyond, and that he opened a path there shortly before his death- I wouldn't think that this next film would portray him as the ultimate evil anyways. I also don't think they would drop hints at him in the first teaser trailer if that was the case. I'm hoping we see him as the first and only Sith Force Ghost:

In order to try and escape the light vs dark balancing act of the force, this ancient baddie found a way to seal themselves away in the Beyond while manipulating and feeding off the Sith Order it left behind with the Rule of Two. This matches up with the recently revealed prophesy that states: "The danger of the past is not past, but sleeps in an egg. When the egg cracks, it will threaten the galaxy entire".

Each Sith would become a Master by using their Darkside power to kill their Master- which would both feed the Spirit of the Master to the hidden baddie as well as open the apprentice up to becoming the next unknowing servant of that same baddie. My guess is that this main baddie assumed that on the DSII it would consume Palps next and then have either the Chosen One or his son as his next servant- which might have been enough to fully break free of the egg; however, Luke's refusal to turn and/ or fight, and Vader's return to the light left Palps getting destroyed by the Lightside of the Force- which would break that cycle and make him the first Sith Master to die who's spirit would not be consumed by the big baddie- leaving it to still be around haunting the DSII wreckage- waiting for Rey to come make a visit. No doubt, after death Palps has learned the truth about his relationship to the Darkside, and is bitter and resentful for being manipulated in such a way- which would put him in the position of wanting to help Rey and Co. stop this big baddie, if he can. He might even have some hidden hope of bringing himself back to life and power if he can manipulate Rey in the right way, so he becomes a dangerous ally like Gollum in LOTR.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    All this new info made me go and revisit Palpatine's 'death' in ROTJ. It never crossed my mind before how it did not really make that much sense. All Sidious really suffered was a small burst of his own dark side lightning fed back through Vader and then being thrown down the tower shaft. A tower shaft.... just use the Force to break your fall.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get a Flashback of Sidious soft landing at the bottom of the Tower and hopping into his escape craft.

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design."

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    What explodes at the bottom and surviving that is the big question.

BTW I always believed he'd have some sort of back up plan if in the unlikely event Vader turns, Luke isn't converted and the Rebels succeed.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I actually just watched ROTJ last night, and I thought about the same thing. I was sitting there watching it all play out, and I was trying to figure out how it could be twisted that he survived? I always figured that vapor or whatever was just his darkside energy leaving him as he died or something...

Either way, I personally don't believe Plapy will be fully alive in flesh and bone and all once we see him in TROS, but rather some other form-possibly some sort of entity...or....something-but at any rate, I personally feel that seeing him appear in the flesh, all "Hey everybody! HA! You thought I was long dead, didn't you!! HAHAHA!!" seems the most far fetched of all the possibilities, really.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Deleted scene from Return of the Jedi...
    [​IMG]
    :p

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    The blue mist could be retconned into something similar to Spirit Ichor, which was the green mist that Mother Talzin used to shift between the physical world and the spirit realm. Perhaps Palpatine never impacted, but instead transported his essence somewhere else before death.

I personally think his Force lightning caused a reaction and he was incinerated. I always thought the blue mist was his energy being dispelled. For the purposes of ROTJ, I hope that was indeed his physical death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.