main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ian McKellan and 2002 Oscar nominations.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Is there anyone here who actually likes Star Wars, or is just me? :)
    I mean, no sane person expected TPM to get any acting or writing awards, but it should have made a clean sweep of the technical Oscars. Or it would have done, if the academy wasn't so biased.
    I see the same thing happening this year. Planet of the Apes should have been guaranteed the best makeup Oscar, but because most people didn't like the overall film, they ignore Rick Baker's great work.
    Don't be surprised if LOTR loses in all the major categories as well. They grudgingly nominated it because of its popularity, but they'll never give a fantasy film best picture.
    The Oscar voters are idiots.

2. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Darth Homer - no, you're not the only one who likes TPM (I'm assuming that's the film you mean)
    I thought TPM was a great film - saw it too many times at the pictures! :D The main reason why it didn't win any tech Oscars in 2000 was because of one very simple reason.

The Matrix.

As much as I love SW etc, the effects in the Matrix were like nothing we'd ever seen at that time and quite rightly it deserved to win.

I agree with you about the make-up Oscar this year - PotA should have been nominated and won that catergory without a murmur.

I mean if Pearl Harbour can be nominated for it's FX, then PotA can be nominated for it's make-up.

Talking of PH - has it struck anyone else that the FX Oscar is a real David and Goliath competition this year?
    On one hand you've got AI and PH - both ILM and on the other you have LotR by WETA whom no one has heard of really before now...

Place your bets ladies and gentlebeings!

And Ram... you don't have to agree with me dear - you're still getting that pint! ;)

3. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    The Oscar voters are idiots.

I'm certainly willing to accept that, but who is it that does the actual voting? Cos I don't know.

4. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    there are hundreds of people and monkeys. And TTg is their leader being queen idiot. Oh and people who have previously won an oscar. i.e. Gwyneth I-I-I'm so haaapppeeee Paltrow.

5. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I would prolly cry if I got an Oscar too... crying at the sorry state of the film industry

6. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I would love to win an Oscar just to tell them where to shove it. :)

At last I will reveal myself to the Academy. At last I will have revenge!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.