main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ICONS] New Manager?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Vassago, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I've noticed a steady decline in the way the Icons thread has been run. I honestly have no problem with Droideka, as I think she is a fine person, but I do believe that someone a bit more dedicated could run the Icon thread more efficiently.

As I said, I'm not trying to start any problems, merely better the forums in general. If we had someone doing weekly updates, consistently, the Icons thread would run seamlessly; as it stands now we have many people posting constantly about icon updates, and lack there of.

I know Droideka is doing a much better job than Icon managers of the past, but I do believe it is possible to get someone even better. I ask only that you take this into consideration, and examine the situation as it stands. I thank you in advance for your time, consideration, and your cooperation in this. :)

~Vassago

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    f we had someone doing weekly updates, consistently

Did you know that before Grilled-Sarlacc came along, icons were added once every two or three months?

I've no doubt that if Tracy decides she doesn't have enough time in the long term to handle the icons, she'll get someone to take her place.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "As I said, I'm not trying to start any problems, merely better the forums in general."

Does getting more icons make the forums any better?

As I understand it, she adds new icons every week. That seems reasonable.

-Seldon

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    droideka has done an excellent job as an icon manager. The best we've had since the earlier days of Grilled-Sarlacc...but lately it seems as if she's too busy to handle it. If so...no hard feelings either way, but the icon business is getting bigger and bigger. If Tracy is too busy to handle it all, then perhaps she could hand it over to someone else...maybe even for just a little while. Perhaps one of the current icon artists could be made the icon manager, as in, being made a VIP. The transfers to Night and Raven would be exactly the same-- just a different manager.

Tracy: I'm in no way trying to degrade you by this, and I'm not trying to turn this into the rant fest I had over nashira a year or so back. We're just trying to better the JC.

For anyone that posts in this thread, I'd like to request that if you know absolutely nothing about the way the icon system works here, or if you want to rant about how making icons "isn't art", don't post here. I can speak for both myself and Vassago when I say that we frankly don't give a damn. :)

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    KnightWriter posted on 6/19/05 1:33pm
    Did you know that before [b]Grilled-Sarlacc[/b] came along, icons were added once every two or three months?

I've no doubt that if Tracy decides she doesn't have enough time in the long term to handle the icons, she'll get someone to take her place.[hr][/blockquote]

[b]Knight[/b], we're all aware of the "olden days" when we barely got any icons at all, but that was a long time ago. Take a look in the icon thread. You can easily see how busy it is, and how many icon makers there truely are.

As for the bit about [b]Tracy[/b] being busy, all we're asking is that if she is too busy and she wishes to assign a replacement, we would like to encourage that.

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth-Seldon][b]Darth-Seldon[/b][/link] [b]posted on 6/19/05 1:34pm[/b][hr][i]"As I said, I'm not trying to start any problems, merely better the forums in general."[/i]

Does getting more icons make the forums any better?

As I understand it, she adds new icons every week. That seems reasonable.[hr][/blockquote]

The icon business [i]is[/i] a growing thing on TFN. You can't deny that. We're not going into the whole discussion about wether or not we need icons.

And at times, especially as of late, [b]Tracy[/b] has been to busy to make icons on a weekly basis.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    And at times, especially as of late, Tracy has been to busy to make icons on a weekly basis.

I think weekly uploads are a bit much. Once every two or three weeks seems more reasonable (at least from this outsider's perspective).

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I like icons, they are nice addition and many people work had and long on them. There can be no doubt about that. However, the board can survive if they aren't added every week.

It just seems that EVERY icon manager is at one time, inevitably attacked by angry icon artists. This happens at least once a year. No manager could possibly meet the demands and high expectations of the icon artist population. You have to be patient and understanding. It always seems like the first time one of these managers "slips"--all out war erupts.

-Seldon

8. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    KnightWriter posted on 6/19/05 1:48pm
    [i] And at times, especially as of late, Tracy has been to busy to make icons on a weekly basis. [/i]

I think weekly uploads is a bit much. Once every two or three weeks seems more reasonable (at least from this outsider's perspective).
    [hr][/blockquote]

But, as stated, if you'd look into the icon thread you see the abundance of people posting updates. Not only that, but the abundance of new icons makers. We have to speed things up, in the thread, to keep up with the growing demand of the icons.

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth-Seldon][b]Darth-Seldon[/b][/link] [b]posted on 6/19/05 1:50pm[/b][hr] I like icons, they are nice addition and many people work had and long on them. There can be no doubt about that. However, the board can survive if they aren't added every week.

[b]It just seems that EVERY icon manager is at one time, inevitably attacked by angry icon artists.[/b] This happens at least once a year. No manager could possibly meet the demands and high expectations of the icon artist population. You have to be patient and understanding. It always seems like the first time one of these managers "slips"--all out war erupts.

-Seldon
    [hr][/blockquote]

My apologies. I don't believe I came across as "angry". :)

~Vassago

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    We have to speed things up, in the thread, to keep up with the growing demand of the icons.

Why? What will happen if that's not the case?

Seems like the increase in icon production could be used to make things more competitive.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Darth-Seldon posted on 6/19/05 1:50pm
    I like icons, they are nice addition and many people work had and long on them. There can be no doubt about that. However, the board can survive if they aren't added every week.

It just seems that EVERY icon manager is at one time, inevitably attacked by angry icon artists. This happens at least once a year. No manager could possibly meet the demands and high expectations of the icon artist population. You have to be patient and understanding. It always seems like the first time one of these managers "slips"--all out war erupts.[hr][/blockquote]

[b]Seldon[/b], buddy, I respect you and all, but you should really read before you post. We're not making war. Far from it.

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    The thread becoming more popular is a good thing. In the sense that we have more icons to choose from, not because we have more icons to add to the site.

Not all icons should be selected.

-Seldon
    SOME, that depends on your definition of war. Perhaps you don't want to officially call this a war, but it is a police action in the least. ;)

12. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    KnightWriter posted on 6/19/05 1:53pm
    [i]We have to speed things up, in the thread, to keep up with the growing demand of the icons. [/i]

Why? What will happen if that's not the case?

Seems like the increase in icon production could be used to make things more competitive.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Many icon artists will become discouraged. The lack of updates means many icons will go un-seen, un-uploaded, and un-chosen. It's very frustrating, and it tends to discourage many icon makers. In some cases, icon makers even develop ill feelings towards the icon thread, in general.

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Darth-Seldon][b]Darth-Seldon[/b][/link] [b]posted on 6/19/05 1:54pm[/b][hr] The thread becoming more popular is a good thing. In the sense that we have more icons to choose from, not because we have more icons to add to the site.

Not all icons should be selected.

-Seldon
    SOME, that depends on your definition of war. Perhaps you don't want to officially call this a war, but it is a police action in the least. [face_wink]
    [hr][/blockquote]

[b]Smuggler[/b] and I both know that not all icons should be selected. That's not what this is about, in the least. Please show me where I even made reference to that.

This is not a war, [b]Seldon[/b]. If I came in here and conducted myself in such a manner that I was belligerent, then I'd see where you'd think this is a war. This is not a war, my friend.

~Vassago

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    And when did we ever say that all icons should be selected, Seldon.

14. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Many icon artists will become discouraged. The lack of updates means many icons will go un-seen, un-uploaded, and un-chosen. It's very frustrating, and it tends to discourage many icon makers. In some cases, icon makers even develop ill feelings towards the icon thread, in general.

~Vassago

That is just tough. It is unfortunate that they feel that way, but the JC can't just load their icons to make them feel better. They must understand that only some icons are chosen, and that others are reviewed but then disregarded. We don't need icons every week, nor do we need to make all artists feel happy. If they develop ill feelings about a certain thread, that is just tough. We shouldn't be accommodating to their every need.

-Seldon

15. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    Droideka mentioned some family obligations she was doing this week, and had hoped to work on the icons Saturday. There are a ton of new icons right now, so she may have actually started working on it, but unable to finish to get a vote in place. Not a big deal. I would like to have some new icons to choose from, though. I like to change my icon every week. :D

16. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Darth-Seldon posted on 6/19/05 2:00pm
    [i]Many icon artists will become discouraged. The lack of updates means many icons will go un-seen, un-uploaded, and un-chosen. It's very frustrating, and it tends to discourage many icon makers. In some cases, icon makers even develop ill feelings towards the icon thread, in general.

~Vassago[/i]

That is just tough. It is unfortunate that they feel that way, but the JC can't just load their icons to make them feel better. They must understand that only some icons are chosen, and that others are reviewed but then disregarded. We don't need icons every week, nor do we need to make all artists feel happy. If they develop ill feelings about a certain thread, that is just tough. We shouldn't be accommodating to their every need.

-Seldon

[hr][/blockquote]

Remove the hostility from your posts, my friend. I've done nothing to warrant it. :|

I'm not saying their icons need to uploaded to make them feel better, or to give them something to ease their mind. I'm saying that when someone comes in, submits icons, and doesn't see any action from the manager for two or three weeks, they may become discouraged, and cease submitting icons.
    I am also led to assume, by your former post, that you have some experience making icons? Or submitting them, even? It just seems to me that you're bit bitter, and harsh with your opinions. As [b]Smuggler[/b] and I have both stated: we're not looking for war. If you are, perhaps you should look elsewhere..

~Vassago

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Seldon, did you forget to read my post about avoiding this thread if you had nothing valuable to add to the discussion. We're not talking about accommodating to the icon artist's every need, we're talking about droideka's activity as icon manager. I'm not saying she needs to be demoted from the position, I'm suggesting that if she's too busy, perhaps there are more options for icon managers.

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm saying that when someone comes in, submits icons, and doesn't see any action from the manager for two or three weeks, they may become discouraged, and cease submitting icons.

I think what Seldon may be getting at is that some people may need to change their expectations, if only on a temporary basis.

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I'm not bitter, nor am I harsh, nor was I an icon artist.
    I have an opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to direct anger at you, if you view it as that, then that is unfortunate. I'm not looking for a "war" either. I'm disagreeing with you, that doesn't mean I'm angry with you.

-Seldon
    Edit: Why is it that someone who disagrees on the matter is viewed as someone who has nothing of "value" to say?

20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Darth-Seldon posted on 6/19/05 2:08pm
    I'm not bitter, nor am I harsh, nor was I an icon artist.
    I have an opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to direct anger at you, if you view it as that, then that is unfortunate. I'm not looking for a "war" either. I'm disagreeing with you, that doesn't mean I'm angry with you.

-Seldon
    Edit: Why is it that someone who disagrees on the matter is viewed as someone who has nothing of "value" to say?

[hr][/blockquote]

You seem hostile, is all. Perhaps a more diplomatic way of conducting yourself? :)

~Vassago

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Why are we centering this conversation around myself rather than the issue that you all feel so strongly about?

I'm not being hostile contrary to your belief. I'm being honest and frank about my opinions. When have I been undiplomatic? One can't tell the truth and have strong opinions in opposition to others and still be considered diplomatic?

-Seldon

22. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    [Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa]: "I'd like to request that if you know absolutely nothing about the way the icon system works here, or if you want to rant about how making icons "isn't art", don't post here. I can speak for both myself and Vassago when I say that we frankly don't give a damn."

So is this basically a thread created so that icon makers can bitch that their icons aren't being promoted fast enough? Although it's not a "rant" because you use smiley-faces, right?

It seems to me that the icon manager has a primary responsibility to the membership at large, and unless those members are complaining that there aren't enough icons to choose from, I'd say the manager is doing at least an adequate job of it.

23. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    People, read the damn thread before the post, please... [face_plain]

No. That's NOT what this is about. This is why I made the post in the very beginning about what this was all about. This ISN'T about wether or not my icons get uploaded, this is about the activity of the icon manager.

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    We've read the thread,
    and I've read this thread a long time ago:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Communications/b10006/16671709/p1

You don't have to remind us every few minutes.
    We're set, there are a few issues here, it is more complex than her being inactive. Her being inactive means that she can't upload, review, or vote on icons. Which is why you're frustrated in the first place.

So for us to discuss icons being loaded--doesn't seem so unreasonable.

-Seldon

25. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    I have read the thread, and the main point of complaint seems to be that some icon makers feel that the demand for more icons by icon makers outweighs the capacity of the current manager. What I'm saying is the demand of the icon makers is not as important as the demand of the users at large. If the users at large are cool with the number of updates, then the icon manager is doing a fine job. The fact that the icon makers are frustrated with the number of updates is unfortunate, but not very compelling in the larger picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.