main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit IDW comics (not) moving beyond Rise of Skywalker this year! But! Relaunching Star Wars Adventures #1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Feb 21, 2020.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    IDW restarts its Adventures comic line with post IX stories continuing the fight against the First Order...

ahem... so IX wasn't the end? Or is it set between IX and its victory montage set sometime later????? Cue Episode X-XII? I knew it was happening some day but this soon? I am not amused. Who will lead the FO?

Link to reddits starwarsleaks where i found the news:
    [​IMG]

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Just like RotJ wasn't the end of the war in both continuities, basically.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Vialco likes this.
  3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Nobody said IX was the end of all storytelling. Just the nine-film saga. I'm very happy we're getting post-TROS stuff already. It took Marvel seven months to start their post-ROTJ comics in December 1983, so IDW's got a head-start here.

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I still am trying to confirm this news officially and already heard it may have been planned but changed recently... so if we are getting it, not sure anymore.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I think the natural progression from the end of the movie is for one day later a celebrating Resistance to receive a distress call from a remote First Order planet about invading velociraptors. After that's cleared up there should be another invasion, this one of anime cyberpunk bad guys whose army is led by Benicio Del Toro who is now a robot. There'll be a second Battle of Exogol and also some talking crickets and some California beach hunks & babes will be there too. Guys we all saw the movie and I think it's obvious that this is where the story was headed; it's just a logical and natural progression of things after Palpatine and an evil Empire are toppled.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  7. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Thx for the links, still one source claims it may not happen and might be pulled from listings. One more casuality of online hate? LFL reactionism to smallminded online hater minorities really annoys me. All the delays for IX tie in material, rewrites of novelisation, lack of deleted scenes or bluray commentary by JJ or anybody else really worries me.

What is happening with LFL and Disney? I mean one cannot trust leaked personal agendas and vendettas but something is going on there I fear. Sure it is business and not just fun for them and never as smooth production as marketed but I see no other company on the radar that is as troubled or as shaken by online haters or corporate meddling and else. (well DC comes close)

vong333 likes this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Another possibility is that it still could be post-TLJ stories despite the "in the wake of the events of TROS". It wouldn't be the first error in a solicit.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well IF not an error and actually a cancellation and move of stories to before IX instead of after... I wonder if they will change stories planned for after to fit before the movie. Or if they cancel and do all new ideas before. Might one see ideas set after IX still in them then, tweaked? Story Archeology, I love it.

I know that years ago the plan was to develop stories paralell between ROTJ-TFA and post IX onwards, opening both eras simultaneously.

Now though they keep expanding the Dark Times era that was supposed to be nearly over. Spinoff movies turned to tv shows will keep it alive for years. Unless turned back to movies at some point to quicken the pace. And if rumors are true, a new High Republic era is in the works set before the PT.

And so far with marketing old ideas reworked with fresh content like TCW, they are stalling a bit on new things (which is not bad to take their time).

Filling in TLJ-IX somewhat is likely but they need meaningful stories and development for ST characters, not just filler. I hope they do not abandon the great ST characters in the wake of online hater minorities and trying to create new fanfavourites with a new era.

10. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    What's the source that's claiming it might not happen?

And I feel like a lot of this "Lucasfilm reactionism" is speculation and conjecture based on, as you say, personal fears. The novelization hasn't been rewritten, just pushed back by, what, a week. What major delays have there been? A lack of home-video content just means there'll be a bigger release planned later down the line, same as has happened many times before.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I hate having to rebuy movies plenty of times...

Source wants to remain unnamed, sorry. I got my sources but have to respect that knowing people might not believe it.

12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  13. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It is weird that Disney who own MARVEL would get IDW to make a comic.

14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    True but you know they follow the money and if people beg and pay for licenses they get them. Like all the crap apparel and clothing lines. Marvel has a certain style and age level and IDW is for younger readers than Marvel ones, so they get away with it. It is a young reader license after all.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree with this 2000% and its all this negativity with anything coming out for star wars that makes me wonder why even be excited for project luminous if 5 months down the line there going to cancel and change things.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Solicits have been known to sometimes be cancelled but it is rare. If you are going to cancel a comic why bother with a solicit at all?

There's only one case I know of where solicited material was very quickly axed and that was Wendig's Vader miniseries, but that's a unique case.

17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    There have been lots of solicited materials that never saw the light of day over time especially in Legends. TFN once had a Lostworlds list, Joe's timeline at his website still does.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How long are we talking, years?

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I doubt LFL would allow a post-NT comic series right now; if they did, it would be in the style of Marvel's "you can't advance any story elements from the movies" post-ROTJ run. Also, it would be "canon" only until LFL does their own post-PT show or movie, which would undoubtedly ignore anything from such a comic.

20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Aren't these adventure stories of dubious canonicity anyway?

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    never seen anything that seemed overtly dubious, the backup stories are generally told as stories anyway but the main stories seem to fit, only thing out of place is really one of Kylo's rants in issue #1 but I chalk that up to him having a bad day and being yelled at extra long by Snoke that afternoon.

I don't think the book is going post TROS, I think people are misreading the socilt. But there's plenty of TLJ to TROS space to play around in.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Daneira likes this.
  22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't think it's a misreading -- "in the wake of the events of TROS, Rey, Poe, and Finn aren't finished fighting the First Order" is pretty clear, unlike the more ambiguous previous "in light of TROS" solicit -- but it seems more that it's just incorrect on the publisher's behalf.

23. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    As a wise woman said, lying is underrated.

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Here's the updated solicit.
    https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/star-wars-adventures-1-2/
    An exciting new era begins! Each issue in this monthly series will feature two stories starring all your favorite Star Wars characters! Between the events of The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, Poe and Finn have taken Rey to a remote planet to continue her Jedi training. But they’re surprised to find that the First Order’s reach extends far and wide. Plus, an all-new tale of the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, Darth Vader!

BigAl6ft6 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Sigh. Oh, well.

AusStig likes this.