main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Anakin went with Mace to arrest Palpatine, would he of turned?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JONJEDI, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I was wondering if Mace told Anakin to come and help arrest Palpatine would Anakin have turned? He arrived just as Palpatine is cowering on the floor with a lightsaber at his throat, Anakin never saw Palpatine with a lightsaber fighting so he probably assumed the jedi just came in and started throwing him around, if he had been there when Palpatine was killing jedi and jumping around would he of come to his senses that Palpatine is an evil killer and a liar, and would he of helped Mace kill Palps?

2. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    I was wondering that myself last night! Good question!

Who knows, Palpatine would probably have spared Anakin's life, unlike the other masters he diced, but have been beaten by Mace. When that happened he probably would have ended up doing the same thing...
    Better question is, why did Anakin arrest Palpatine.

3. hello-there

hello-there Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    i think he would have still turned against macy cuz he thought he needed palps to save padme...but then again its hypothesising and it's really a 'gray' area we can't be definite about :)

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    It makes me think of ANH.

Mace thought it was better to just stay home....that he shouldn't have gotten involved.

5. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes he would haved.

See this is what the 'yes' people on the "did Sidious allow Mace to win" thread just dont seem to understand....There was no reason for Sidious to throw the fight and it wouldnt have mattered if Anakin went in with them and witnessed the entire thing either because Anakin's choice was about saving Padme.

He wasnt going to allow Sidious to be killed until he knew how to save Padme.

So seeing Sidious attack the jedi or walkin in on 4 dead jedi instead of 3 wouldnt have made one bit of difference....he doesnt want Sidious killed, and that's where the problem comes in....period.

6. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    But Anakin could come to realize that Palpatine is so evil the only thing he is good for is taking away lives, not keeping them alive.

7. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    No.^

When Sidious revealed himself to Anakin when they were alone it caused Anakin to be divided between doing the right thing or doing what he felt he had to do to save his wife.

He, very selfishly, chose his wife.

8. LukeRock

LukeRock Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    I don't think Anakin would help Windu to arrest or kill Palpatine. The bad dream about Padme has leaded him into great confusion, the result would be the same, because Sidious has tempted him that the dark side was the only hope to save Padme. And that was the only choice for him to keep Padme alive.

9. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    "Nowah, Nowah, NO! YOU WILL TURN!"

10. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    When Anakin arrived in the Office, he saw Mace Windu pointing his lightsaber at Palpatine, on the floor, beaten. Anakin never saw them duel, and had to make his decision based only on what he saw.

Things could have turned out completely different had he gone with Mace.

11. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    It didn't matter if he was included in on the arrest or not,
    he still needed [thought he did] Sids to gain the power to save
    Padme. So, he would've stopped Mace no matter what.

12. ObjectiveWanKenobi

ObjectiveWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    I agree that Palpatine didn't need to let Mace win in order to turn Anakin...but I do think things might have been different if Mace slapped Anakin on the shoulder and said, "good work, son. Let's go get that Sith Lord together!" That's what is so tragic; it's not just Anakin making a wrong choice that leads to the fall, but the wrong choices made by the Jedi as well. Anakin, though obsessed with keeping Padme alive, was attempting to do the right thing and turn over Palpatine. But by Mace excluding Anakin, it allowed Anakin the time to muse things over...to let Palpatine into his head...to ponder Padme's death and how he might be able to save her through Palpatine.

As it's conveyed in the film, if Mace took Anakin along, he might not have had the chance to think things over...and things might have ended up differently. The SW Saga is all about the choices we make. Mace Windu made the wrong choice in excluding Anakin. It led to both their downfalls.

13. Lt_Murgen

Lt_Murgen Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    The key, I think, hinges on Mace's character.

Remember the conversation between Anakin and Windu. It appeared as if Windu had Palpatine at a disadvantage. Anakin more or less told him to back off, so he could be taken and tried in the Senate for his crimes. Windu argued that Palpatine had control of the Senate, and was too dangerous to be kept alive.

Had Mace not decided to kill Palpatine, Anakin may not have choosen to step in and stop it. With Palpatine alive, there were other options-- (e.g. springing him from prison and fleeing).

It is entirely possible that Palpatine had a contingency plan in case Anakin did come with Windu. But we'll never know.

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It would`nt have made any difference whatsoever

15. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    I think that things might have gone a bit different had Anikin been there when the jedi arrived at the office. When Anikin gets there, Palpatine is being driven into a corner by Windu. What a perfect time to arrive to a fight, certainly Anikin is going to see it as if Mace was trying to kill the chancellor. If he would have arrived with the posse, he would have seen the truth about Palpatine.

16. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I agree that it would not have mattered, whether he had come with Mace in the beginning or when he did in the film. Mace sensed where Anakin was, that he was already torn in regards to who he was loyal to.

In my opinion, if Anakin was going to kill Palpy, it should have happened when he first learned he was a Sith.

Darth Sin! :cool:

17. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    If Anakin went with Mace to arrest Palpatine, would he of turned?

The answer is "Yes". Mace would have still tried to kill Palpatine and Anakin would have stepped in to save Padme. From the script:

ANAKIN: What have I done?

ANAKIN sits.

PALPATINE: You are fulfilling your destin, Anakin. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the dark side of the Force.

ANAKIN: I will do whatever you ask.

PALPATINE: Good.

ANAKIN: Just help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her. I won't let her die. I want the power to stop death.

His turn was always about saving Padme and nothing else. Unfortunately, he gets caught in the web of seduction by the darkside and it changes him.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think he absolutely would of turned. That's the whole reason Mace didn't let him go in the first place, remember?

19. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    The only thing that would?ve changed is that Anakin would see that the Jedi only had good intentions by going to arrest Palpatine and that they weren?t trying to ?take over? as Palpatine suggests they are. Anakin would?ve still turned because he still needs Palpatine in order to save Padmè.

20. DarthScottyus

DarthScottyus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    Yeah, but what's really going to bake your noodle is:

If Anakin would have stayed back and if Mace would have killed Sidious (I believe he could have), would Anakin have turned anyway?

He had already started down that path, and once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

See, I think Anakin would have, in a fit of rage, killed Mace. Then I think he would have sought out the Dark Side, even if he didn't have a master, because he still craved that power. The whole problem with this is that it just would have taken longer for the Sith to get their revenge.

21. JarJarBlingBling

JarJarBlingBling Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004

One thing to remember is that Anakin needed Sidious alive to learn the secrets to keeping people he loved (Padme) from dying. If he had gone with Mace and the Jedi Mod Squad, it's possible that Anakin would have gotten a moral boost from Mace and Sidious would have been arrested. Mace was there to arrest Sidious not kill him. Mace could have had the chosen one keep Sidious at bay while the others put the cuffs on him. Again Anakin would be the hero, which he liked being and with Sidious locked up Anakin could visit with him to try and learn more about those dark secrets.

22. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    I agree with ObjectiveWanKenobi, when Anakin ran and told Mace about Palpatine he wanted to go with him and help bring Palpatine down. It's just becasue Mace turned him away Anakin felt frustrated with him and had time to sit down and think about it, he made his choice in the council chamber and that was only because Palpatine spoke to him through the force reminding him once more he is his only chance for saving Padme.

23. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I don't think Palpatine would've attacked them had Anakin been there.

But if he had, then i, too, believe Anakin would've done everything in his power to save Palpatine from dying. Whereas Mace, or perhaps one of the other Jedi, would most likely still get provoked into wanting to kill him.

- O_F

24. LilBastardAnakin

LilBastardAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    I think anakin would have wanted him arrestd, they could of put him in a lightning proof cell or something and then Anakin could of visited him every day for hours promising to let him go free once he showed him the cheating death secret.

25. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yes. I believe that if Mace were to kill Sidious (Anakin would have probably been there to witness it) he would have flown off the handle and killed Mace. He would then believe that the Sith way WAS the right way and he would have probably become the Emperor through power and the fact that the Jedi were traitors. If Sidious died, I think that the galaxy would have actually been WORSE off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.