main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Anakin went with Mace to arrest Palpatine, would he of turned?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JONJEDI, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    But he already knew Palpatine was a Sith, and therefore prone to lying. He ONLY chose to side with him when in the heat of the moment, he had to make a split second gut decision, Mace or Padme. If he was given the time and opportunity to investigate Palps claim, and to speak with the Jedi about it, he may have realized the truth. He isn't an idiot, he's naive and idealisitic, and he isn't doomed from the start.

2. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    There's a hundred possibilities yeah, but they all center around him trying to save Padme.

Palpatine set it up so Anakin would basically have to choose between Padme or the "jedi way"....by offering to save Padme he put himself in the same category as Padme.
    (he jumped on the Padme bandwagon)

So now we have two things to choose from Padme/Sidious or the Jedi and no matter what happened Anakin was going to choose Padme (Sidious).

If it didnt happen right then, then it would have happened after Sidious was arrested...but there was no getting around it, Sidious had a "shield" so to speak, and it was Padme.

3. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "he had to make a split second gut decision"

I wouldn't consider it a quick decision. What was he thinking
    about in the temple after Mace left, what to have for lunch? :p
    He sat there thinking about it in a 'omg what did I do' mode b/c
    he knew there was a possibility Mace could end up killing Palps
    instead of just arresting him and he could not risk that b/c then
    the secret power Palps allegedly had would die with him.
    So, he runs to the scene and of course he's hesitant b/c he doesn't
    want to kill Mace or be responsible for his death, but his mind
    was made up before he even got there.

4. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    He couldnt speak to the jedi about it.....remember he's not supposed to be "attached" to someone to the point to where he's scared of losing them (let alone be married).

EDIT:
    And no he isnt "doomed from the start" but he's doomed once he kills the Tuskens..... "Once you start down the dark path...forever will it dominate your destiny";)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not so much a sheild as a trump card. A "Get out of Jail free" card.

6. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Sidious "had" Anakin from the moment he told him he could save Padme.

Sidious could have walked into the jedi temple "unarmed" with Anakin at his side and he wouldnt have to lift a finger, because Anakin would have fought with everything he has to protect him.

7. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    r8hit, I agree. Ani would not risk losing the only person who
    claims to have knowledge of a power that would save Padme.
    After losing Shmi, there's nothing/no one who could change his
    mind about acquiring the ability to prevent a loved one from dying.

8. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    He still would have turned. All he was conerned about was keeping Palps alive for his own purposes. He said it himself "he won't give up his power", and he knew there was going to be a fight. He sure wasn't going to give the deathblow and as was seen he wasn't going to allow Mace to do it either.

Anakin tried to get on a moral pedastal with his little "it's not the jedi way, he must stand trial" statement. Or the "I saw them try to assasinate the chancellor myself". But those statements were completely self serving. I mean, did he forget that he assasinated Dookoo like the day before. Had he thought Dookoo had the power to save Padme i'm pretty sure his head would still be firmly fixed onto his shoulders. But, of course, jedi code goes out the window when it didn't do anything for Anakin

9. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    That's why I said all of that "the jedi are traitors" talk is just a bunch of crap.

That really has no bearings on Anakin's decision.

He only cares about himself, Padme, and "his new empire".[face_shame_on_you]

10. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Exactly.

Look at his face when he says it....he ALREADY looks evil.

He's kind of looking like--O:) [face_devil]"It's not the jedi way, he must stand trial"O:) [face_devil] [face_mischief]

He doesnt give a **** about the "jedi way", he's just still trying to "ride the fence", that's the only reason he says it.

He doesnt really want to kill Mace but he will if he has to.

Anakin at the LAST second: "I NEED him"

^^^the truth came out and the last second and that pretty much sums up what he's all about.

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    But Anakin's mind is not made up about saving Padme at ALL costs until he feels he's given NO other option. He wants Palpatine arrested, but he does not want him killed. It's only when Mace exiles him up to the Temple does he get the idea that he has no other option but to make sure Mace doesn't kill him. But then he gets into the situation where he HAS to choose who lives, Mace or Padme. But he doesn't want to kill Mace, he knows Palpatine is evil. But he's terrified of losing Padme.

"You almost come a second too late. You're rushing over to make sure that nothing happens-but your anticipation is that they're going to hurt each other, When the lightning starts things are going from bad to worse from your point of view. And when Mace is going to kill him, you have to act."

"Try and increase how uncomfortable you feel as the shot goes on. Try to think back on the Darth Plagueis story-run that through your head. Take it one step further: you realize that by telling the Jedi about Palpatine being a Sith that Padme is going to die. Baiscally, you just killed her."

--George Lucas To Hayden Christensen, The Making Of ROTS, Page 204.

All these circumstances lead up to Anakin making a terrible decision, like a stack of dominoes. But remove one of those elements and it might not have all fallen.

12. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    So you think going in with them would have kept him from making this decision?

13. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "But Anakin's mind is not made up about saving Padme at ALL costs"

I would say it was. He hesitated and didn't act when he had
    dreams about Shmi and she died, he never forgot that.
    He swore to Padme from the time he had the dream that he would
    save her. His mind was 100% made up and I think that's pretty
    obvious. Just b/c he had residual feelings for Mace etc doesn't
    take away from the fact that from the time he dreamt of Padme
    dying he knew that he'd have to save her no matter what.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin would still make that decision. Just Palpatine would have to keep poking at him until he caved.

15. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    But then he gets into the situation where he HAS to choose who lives, Mace or Padme.

He didn't just happen upon that situation. He put himself in it. Mace knew that Anakin would get in the way. That's why he told him to stay there. Anakin has just told him, "hey, Palps just told me he's the sith lord." Mace has to be thinking "Well then if he told you that why aren't you telling me that you killed him?". Anakin had rather easily wiped out Dookoo and IMHO could have done the same to Sids. Mace knew Anakin had not confronted Sids when he had the opportunity and was bascially saying "Ok, you had you're shot. I'm not trusting you to not take care of business again while our lives are on the line. We'll go take care of it... sit your *** here til we get back".

16. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Think about these scenarios for a minute--

1.Anakin goes in with them, Sidious is arrested and sentenced to death.

outcome: Anakin STILL turns to save Sidious/Padme.

2.Anakin goes with them, Sidious fights, loses and is facing death at Windu's hands.

outcome: Same as the movie, Anakin STILL turns to save Sidious/Padme.

3.Anakin goes with them and Sidious kills them all except Anakin.

outcome: He's still faced with the same problem, kill Sidious/Padme himself, turn him in (now we're back to the court scenario again) or just turn to the darkside...he STILL turns.

4.Anakin goes in with them, Sidious is arrested and gets off.

(remember "I 'AM' the Senate")

outcome: The jedi now know he's a sith lord and they must act. The jedi try to kill him, now Anakin is faced with the same problem...let Sidious/Padme die or join him...he STILL turns in this scenario too.

See a pattern?o_O

There was "no way around it"....Sidious had Anakin by the b**** and Anakin was stuck to make a choice any way you look at it.

17. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    ^^^^^^good points

18. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Thankyou.

That's why I said, Sidious had no "logical" reason to intentionally lose his duel to Mace Windu.....he HAD Anakin before that duel even took place, even if Anakin walks in on 4 dead jedi instead of 3.....he's still faced with the same decision.

19. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    A more interesting question would be, what if YODA went with Mace to arrest Palpatine?[face_thinking]

Mace AND Yoda???[face_mischief]

I think Sidious would have gone in quietly (for the time being):p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.