main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If I Don't Catch You _________ AU, TPM

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Julie, Oct 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    I probably should have waited to post that last part until the evening.....

2. Jedi_Ra

Jedi_Ra Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2000
    I really like how Anakin is practicing on his own, and how Ob-Wan is treating him nicely now.

3. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

ooh, good post, Julie!! Anakin is slowly becoming more human than GL portrayed him. I love it! Can we please have more? :)

aa :D

4. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    If I Don't Catch You
    Part 10
    Thoughts are indicated like /this/.

/It is good to be home./ Obi-wan thought gratefully. /This last mission is most definately
    one of the hardest and most dangerous we have been on./ He looked over at the recovering
    Jedi Master. /I nearly lost you./ Obi-wan closed his eyes and tried to relax. The Healers
    assured him that Qui-gon was nearly healed and would wake soon. /More than anything this past
    week has been a great test of my patience and ability to avoid dispair./ he sighed. /I
    sense that the future will be very difficult now that we are threatened by the return of the
    Sith. I am worried that too much will be expected of me because I killed one. I don't want to
    fail to meet those standards./

Obi-wan ran his hand through his hair and held his padawan braid. /And soon I will not be
    allowed to rely on you to guide and help me through it all, master./

/Everything will be different now./

He dropped the braid and attempted to meditate on his new status and life. /I will be Knighted
    soon./ he thought proudly. /But I am beginning to dread it now. I don't want to end the
    training bond with you. I don't want to move out into my own quarters. I don't want to go
    on my next mission without you. I feel like I am losing instead of gaining./

/On the eve of their Knighting, do all Padawans wish that everything had stayed the same?/

Qui-gon awakened slowly to see the bland ceiling of the Jedi Temple infirmary.
    Gradually his mind retraced his last memories of Obi-wan taking him to the healers
    and later Jedi Healers coming to help him. His senses told him that he had been
    in a healing trance for a week. Gently, Qui-gon turned his head to see his padawan
    mediating in a chair. Qui-gon knew that Obi-wan had hardly left his side the entire
    week. /Obi-wan your loyalty is commendable, however you really didn't need to be so
    diligent. I sense that you refused the Healers offers to take shifts sitting with me./

Obi-wan opened his eyes and smiled. "How are you feeling." he asked as he went to
    fetch some water.

"Better." Qui-gon replied as he accepted the drink. /And very grateful to be alive./ he
    wanted to add, but his parched throat wouldn't allow him.

"Your injury gave the Healers quite a shock." Obi-wan said cheekily. "They never expected
    you to be gutted by a lightsaber." he then became serious. "The first few days were the
    worst of my life."

"Thank you, my padawan." Qui-gon answered. "Your swiftness and strength saved me."

At that Obi-wan grinned, but said seriously. "About that... the Council has decided
    that defeating a Sith equals promotion to Knighthood."

Qui-gon smiled sadly. "Yes, I felt they would. You have well earned it." Slowly he sat
    up. /I have longed for and dreaded this day. Obi-wan, why did you grow up so fast?/

Desperate to distract himself, lest he begin to worry Obi-wan with his dismalness, he
    changed the subject. "And how is Anakin." he inquired.

"Anxious and nervous." Obi-wan replied. "Yesterday, the Council sent for him to tell of his
    involvement in the Naboo Battle. The boy somehow managed to destroy the Droid Control Ship!"

Qui-gon frowned. "He was supposed to stay hiding where we left him." he said disappointedly.

"He did, from a certain point of view." Obi-wan was smirking again. "The ship he was in took
    off on autopilot. He didn't have a choice. Anakin is now a hero to the Naboo and Gungans."

Qui-gon thought for a moment before answering. /It is a relief that he did not intentionally
    disobey me. The boy could have died out there otherwise./ "I see. So the Force guided him
    to help."

"Yes, master. That is how I feel as well. I don't know yet what the Council has decided.
    Master Yoda did not make the journey here from Naboo pleasant for the boy."

/The Council is taking far too long to decide Anakin's future. But perhaps their continued
    debates are a good sign./ Qui-gon

5. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could they just send Ani away like that?!

Post soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Slooowwwww, tonight isn't it? I know! *lightbulb effect* Everyone's writing more parts for their stories! Goody! :)

7. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Wow! Won't the council be sorry now. And I can just guess who has Anikin. Qui and Obi to the rescue?

8. Latara

Latara Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2000
    Poor Ani!
    Whoa, i can't believe i just said that. Great writing on your part has actually made me feel bad for him.

and i agree, Qui-Gon and Obi-wan to the rescue.
    post more soon!

9. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

Now see, that will teach them to send people away like that! GRR! They're a bit arrogant, for my tastes!! Deciding futures and all...! Wow, Julie...I just hope he doesn't get intercepted by Paply!

10. Quietman77

Quietman77 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2000
    WOW!!!!!

At the risk of repeating myself, this is not only cool, it makes perfect sense.

BTW, it's quite neat how the "Force blind spot" angle not only facilitates Anakin turning later (or possibly turning; this is AU) but it also is a subtle way of generating suspense. Very slick.

Looking forward to the next.

Q77

11. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    All caught up again. You've got me wondering about Anakin. I wonder what Qui-Gon is going to do when he's up and about.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I have to agree with Qui-Gon. I always thought Anakin could be just as dangerous without the training.

Julie, I like how Obi-Wan reconciled his feelings for Ani and the way Ani hid from Yoda on the ship.

Will we get to see Obi-Wan's Knighting ceremony???

13. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, excellent emotions; the way Obi-Wan is thinking that a lot will be expected of him because he's killed a Sith, and the way he's not sure he's ready for his Knighting ceremony, the way Qui-Gon wonders "Obi-Wan, why did you grow up so fast?"

Lots of suspense here, too! I like the way the Council cannot sense anything from Anakin. And that was a real cliffhanger, the way they just packed him up and sent him away, and then the entire ship disappears...

14. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Just to let you know - I am jumping a little ahead in the timeline in my next post, but be assured that flashbacks will explain what
    I am skipping for now. I need some suspense and I can't resist the urge to torture my readers. *evil laugh* :)

15. Rosemary

Rosemary Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2000
    Wow.
    Bye bye Ani

But what happened to the transport?.. ';'

16. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    If I Don't Catch You
    Part 11

Jedi Knight Obi-wan Kenobi sat back in the cockpit seat of his ship with a sigh.
    He had just finished informing the Jedi Council that he had found the last person,
    last except one. Tola Hgual was currently asleep and had no knowledge of what had
    become of Anakin Skywalker. /Just like the others./ he thought in disappointment.

For the past three and a half years since his Knighting, his mission had been to locate and
    rescue all of the occupants of the transport that had been sent to the Agri-corps,
    and never arrived. In particular, to find Anakin. It had been a long three years.

The Council had sent Jedi to follow the ship's path. They had learned that the
    transport was destroyed by pirates. Everyone in the Temple was grief stricken.
    Seven children and two pilots had been on that ship. The Council was dismayed
    to learn that pirates had begun encroaching on the Inner Core of the galaxy and mourned
    the loss of the children. They had gained guidance from the Force and had
    determined that some of them may still be alive. Obi-wan had requested that
    searching and rescuing them be his first mission. The Council granted it.

Obi-wan slumped in his chair wearily. He recalled that Qui-gon was completely certain
    that Ani was alive. The most likely theory was that everyone on board was sold
    as slaves. He hoped so. Anakin could survive being re-enslaved until they
    freed him again. The alternatives were much worse. /It's getting harder to believe
    that Ani lives./

The Council had given he and Qui-gon their full support. /It was the least they
    could do./ Obi-wan recalled. The bitterness had past eventually. Qui-gon had
    spent much of his time searching for the clues they needed. The Council's contacts
    with the Republic's intelligence network had been most helpful with accurate
    information. However, it was too often slow in coming and they never discovered
    the name of the pirates responsible. /And neither they nor us have heard anything
    about these pirates in over a year./

He had found the first child within a few months. He was elated that that the
    teenager could tell them what happened. /He remembered the attack and the pirates
    boarding the ship./ Obi-wan mused. /He especially remembered the pirates' anger when they
    discovered nothing of value aboard. No money or cargo to plunder. No wealthy or important
    passengers that could be held for ransom. Just two Republic pilots and seven kids./
    he thought ruefully. /My, how disappointed they must have been. Its a wonder they
    didn't just slaughter the poor children./

The boy had confirmed that everyone had been told they would be sold as slaves. However,
    he didn't remember a little blond nine year old. Qui-gon had discovered the location of one
    of the pilots. Together, they went to fetch her. /Yet our hopes were dashed again. She did
    not know what became of Ani. The Council agreed with Qui-gon that Ani was likely a slave
    once more./ And so a pattern developed of searching and rescuing, but still learning nothing
    about Anakin Skywalker.

/What would his mother think, now that not only have we lost her only child, but we also can
    not find him?/ It was almost a relief that as a slave herself she could not afford to
    send a holo-message to her son and would not expect one from him. /Even if she could have asked,
    I wonder if the Council would have told her anything at all?/ Obi-wan thought gravely and with
    a spark of instantly controlled anger. /Like they didn't tell Queen Amidala./ The Queen had
    sent messages and had been politely told that Anakin was not able to send any messages to
    her and would not for the near future, however they would inform her when this changed. /I think
    she's finally stopped trying./ He didn't like it. Yet Qui-gon agreed with the Council that
    they were better off not knowing and worrying these past three years.

17. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Wow, after the first change, things really took off in a different direction! It's great. :)

18. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Shamelessly upping my own thread.....:)

19. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    You will read this fic. *gestures with hand* :)

I think everybody is busy writing! :D

20. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

Whoa!! I had hoped that Ani wouldn't end up with Palpy (too predictable) and this took me by surprise! I can see he's developed *quite* the attitude..but I can't help missing the way he was! :)

21. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I liked Obi-Wan's last line. Way to come back with your own attitude Obi-Wan!

22. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    I dunno... it seems too convenient. But time, and more posts, will tell. :)

23. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    I am very sick today, HOWEVER, I will post the next part tonight. All you lurkers enjoy. :)

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, three years looking for Ani. Seems he's been able to manage pretty well on his own though.

I hope that if Obi-Wan can't convice him to return to the temple that Qui-Gon may have better luck.

Oh, BTW....

"You will feel better."
    *Healer Leona passes her hand before Julie*

25. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    If I Don't Catch You
    Part 12

Anakin didn't answer. His eyes flashed with hidden emotion. Obi-wan looked at him with concern. Anakin had grown a lot in over three years and looked thinner. /He looked a bit thin before, but now.../

"I'll see you later." Anakin replied flippantly and began to walk to the small ship in preflight mode.

Obi-wan was puzzled and dismayed. He followed the boy to the ship's access ladder. "I was sent to take you back with me, Ani. Everyone is very worried about you and..."

"And I really need to be going." Anakin interrupted. He moved closer to the ladder, but Obi-wan stepped in his way.

"And you didn't answer my questions."

From outside they could hear the ship's computer ping that it was ready for flight.

"Tell Master Qui-gon that I'm sorry I didn't get to see him, for me, will ya?" And with that Anakin used the Force to vault up to the ship's hatch and shut it abruptly, cutting off anything else Obi-wan might say or do. Obi-wan no choice but to back away as the craft took to the sky.

"I have a very bad feeling about this." Obi-wan said in frustration.

/How am I ever going to explain this to the Council? Wait, how am I going to tell Qui-gon!/ Obi-wan had spent the last hour sifting through the Yoj database of incoming and outgoing ships. Once he had the all of the identification and information he could find on Anakin's ship he prepared to call home. /Should I speak to them over an open Com, or just send a holo-message? What would they order me to do? Or not do?/ Obi-wan was more worried that they might tell him to return to Coruscant then that they might disapprove of him taking matters into his own hands.

/Should I tell them what Anakin said? How he refused to come with me. About his contempt when he spoke. And that he is using the Force?/

He settled on a quick message. "Masters," he began. "I have seen Anakin Skywalker. I request that someone be sent to pick up Tola Hgual from the Yoj Hospital here on Eituc. I am sending all of the information I could find of the ship Anakin is on and the star systems I feel he is likely to be traveling to and which ones I intend to search first. I will find him." Obi-wan ended the recording and prepared to send another to Qui-gon.

/Anakin,/ Obi-wan thought to himself. /If I don't catch you.../

Within an hour Obi-wan was in pursuit of Anakin Skywalker.

Qui-gon was tired. /That's an understatement. I'm exhausted./

He was pleased that the situation on Ecineb was resolved. Master Qui-gon and two Knights had been sent to evacuate refugees. As usual, Qui-gon had searched the planet for any indication that Anakin Skywalker had been there. No, the boy hadn't come here. After more than three years, the constant feeling of failure had become alarmingly routine. Technically, it was Obi-wan's mission to find the boy, however no one objected his decision to search as well. When he learned of a possible location the Jedi Council always gave their full support as he took off to search another region sometimes with his former apprentice and sometimes alone. In between those missions the Council would often send him on assignments to areas of space they had not yet examined for traces of Anakin.

Yet, he did not feel even the slightest bit hopeful when he saw a message waiting for him on the Republic transport carrying the Jedi back to Coruscant. Emotionlessly he played the message.

"Qui-gon," the holo of Obi-wan revealed that the young man had made no effort to disguise the distress on his face. "I've found Anakin, but he refused to come with me and has taken off in a ship alone. I think he might be headed for Esor or Sielilyad. I will arrive on Esor in a day, if I don't find him there it will take another day for me to reach Sielilyad. He is bitter, Qui-gon, and using the Force. I'll explain more later."

Qui-gon stormed from his cabin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.