main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

if jimmy goes . . .. I GO! ! ! ! Sign in here. . . .

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MysteryWhiteBoy8, Oct 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I feel i need to express myself. if the rumours or whatever are true, and in fact Jimmy goes the way of such heroes as Jek Porkins, Dack, and Oola, then i'll walk away from the NJO and Star Wars all together. Thats how upset i'll be. In my opinon, jimmy has been one of the better characters in this series. . .. not based on ability alone but the things he's had to go through. i won't mention any out of fear or spoiling anyone.

Ever since his entrance, Jimmy has been one of my favorite characters. REMOVED. I think it would be irresponsible for LLF and DR to just do away with him.

So lets get some support for Jimmy. Please. You don't have to be as extreme as me. . .. but lets show jimmy some support.

2. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Might want to remove those spoilers, especially those in the second paragraph.

Personally, I am mad about Jimmy's death, but I will remain faithful to the series.

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    You know, you can leave now... It's in the audio adaptation, so it will be in the book. Sorry.

4. doctordrinkalot

doctordrinkalot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    yeah, it might be good to get rid of some of that stuff that could spoil some readers.

no, i'll keep reading. even though there's a lot i hate about NJO, i'll keep reading. Why? i don't know. why is MJ returning to basketball? for love of the game? well i'll keep reading for love of star wars.

5. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    In truth I really don't care about Jimmy and strongly doubt that the death of any character could force me to stop reading Star Wars Books.
    Back to Jimmy, Up until the last two books I really didn't care about him one way or another. Now I will miss him a bit but that is all. Personally my only hope is that his death scene is better then Chewbacca's.

6. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Just wanted to say....Good bye. :)

7. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    While Jimmy's death won't force me to quit reading the NJO, it will sadden me a great deal. Jimmy is an amazingly well written character, by all the authors who have tackled the task of writing him, and so it's going to be a real shame to see him go. Let's just hope that the events that happen following, and due to, his death make up for this seemingly unbelievable waste of a good character.

JMA

8. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Thanks, Commander Antilles. I wouldn't want people to be inadvertently spoiled by reading this thread.

9. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Uh....and then edit this out too.

Edit: Done

10. Mike17

Mike17 Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2001
    I've been thinking about the whole jimmy thing. and think I've got 2 solid ideas about it.

1.) He remains in spirit form to speak to (You Know who) in the way ben did with Luke.

THe second contains a spoiler

l
    a
    s
    t

c
    h
    a
    n
    c
    e

2.) Removed

11. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    I'm still leaning towards the second option. I'll cling to any possibility that Jimmy will survive.

12. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    If the death of one fictional character causes you to give up Star Wars (which is almost a genre of literature), then (no offense) good riddance. I mean this. Why is one character so much a part of your reading that you would quit all SW just because one character dies?

He has been a major character in the past few books, but not so much so that he should be that important to you or anyone else. He's not an original character, and even his existance may be disproven by George Lucas if he so wishes (Doubtful).

I can see why people will be upset, but it's not this character which drew most of us to star wars, and it shouldn't be him/her who sends us away. Whatever happens, I will not judge it until after I have read the book. Some of the best star wars I have EVER read concerns the death of certain characters.

The deaths of Chewbacca, Grand Admiral Thrawn, General Madine and Ton Phanan; all loved characters, have been some of the best writing, star wars or otherwise, I have ever read.

I think, before passing judgement on writing you haven't even seen, much less making decisions based on what might happen, you should read the story for what it is, an epic. In epics, like real life (yes, I said real life!), people die. As I have pointed out before, many people die in war. And I will not say more on this line, for fear of revealing spoilers.

For a real argument concerning this thread, please see the thread where we ARE allowed to discuss spoilers.

Good Day,
    DarthParth

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    <clap> <clap> <clap> Bravo, DarthParth. I totally agree with you.

14. darthparth

Jul 10, 2001

DarthParth

15. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I whole-heartedly agree myself, darthparth.

*MORE CLAPS*

Heres what I said in another thread:

* I apologize for my brashness here, but I simply fail to comprehend others' incapacity to understand the grim nature of war. I have no respect for people who will quit reading this series or have already quit reading this series simply because of its dark and grim nature or because of a spoiler killing our favorite character. It's like quitting because something did not go our way and someone died who we have alot invested in. It's like giving up because we received a bad grade on a test we studied really hard for. If you want to quit and give up fine, you did not deserve to read this series in the first place. The theme of the movies and EU has always been never giving up and never quitting and never losing hope in the face of adversity and deep personal loss. And trust me, this series will keep those themes in tact.

16. darthparth

Jul 10, 2001
    very true, nice goin vergere.

DarthParth

17. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    If you quit reading the NJO because of Jimmy's death, I can almost guarantee you that you'll be missing out on some of the best Star Wars literature since... ever. I'll admit that I wasn't at all happy when I first heard about it, but I've since then come to realize that, while Jimmy will be sorely missed, his death is not only a good thing for the storyline; it's an essential part of it. I mean, can you imagine how every single part of the NJO arc will be affected by this? I've been keeping clear of excessive spoilers, so I don't know every little detail, but I do know that the death of Jimmy will be a crucial, pivotal moment in the series. Nothing in NJO is going to be the same after Star by Star... and that's a good thing. This is how the storyline was always supposed to play out. I don't know about anyone else, but I seriously can't wait to see what happens now. Boycotting the series is the last thing I'd want to do. Just my 2 cents.

18. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Not that anyone really cares, but in this audio adaptation, does anything happen to Herbert?

19. yoda_does_dallas

yoda_does_dallas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    I have to say that I agree. I became an EU fan since I found the Thrawn trilogy accidentally on an airport in the U.S. ( I am not american and novels are hard to find in my country, Guatemala). I loved the movies and finding books that continued the story practically overwhelmed me at the time. Now forty something books later I still continue to read every novel that comes out. I do not read them for a single character and although I have no criticism towards Jimmy´s character, his death will serve a purpose; the title says STAR WARS and people die in wars, even the ones you love. I think that most of us are SW fans not Jimmy´s fans. I would continue reading even if they killed off Luke. The one thing that worries me is that if they keep on killing main characters, they might just finish off the EU after the NJO is done.

20. Durron001

Durron001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2001
    Hey stop pickin on the man, don't you have something good to do like practicing your multiplication tables? The NJO is not that good as literature. Their books should be used as doorstops. Good ridance to you too.

21. Tahiri_2

Tahiri_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    I know that it is called starWARS and ppl will die, i just wish they wouldn't take my favorite character!...he is the last person I thought they would kill.

22. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
    JIMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dont go.

23. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    It's not that they're killing Jimmy that necessarily angers me, although he is my favorite character, it's the shocking waste of time, both author's and reader's, that it implies. A certain SW author did a SUPERB job developing Jimmy, and killing him seems like the ultimate disregard for that hard work.

JMA

24. darthparth

Jul 10, 2001
    Master Aaron, we don't know how he dies. It could be something VERY significant that makes all the character developement worthwhile. I know someone has said this: 600 some pages is a lot of story. He could be developed more than in every other book combined and then his death could be great! Regardless of what people think about his death, they should at least wait and read it before criticizing.

25. yoda_does_dallas

yoda_does_dallas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    I have nothing against Jimmy, he has been developed as a great character. It´s just that I´m not quitting SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.