main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Mandalorian had decided to be a soft reboot.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by maranatusIX, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be. Pass on what you have learned."

That's as far as I can take you.

Oryx-I, wobbits and 2Cleva like this.
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats from episode 6 though. not Mando.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    "This is the Way"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He's talking about Luke training Grogu.

wobbits and 2Cleva like this.
  5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    The Mandalorian lines up fine with the ST. Luke can train whoever in his 30 years. he can still end up where he does in the ST. 30 years is a long time.

You would have to think the ST takes place a week after the OT to assume Lukes role in the Mandalorian changes anything really.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Jo Lucas and themoth like this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Which is why I said earlier that it’s ties to the ST are more “Schodinger’s Ties” than anything - because the time gap means that the entire TM-connected storylines could take place before anything firmly tied to Luke’s breakdown, which the main thing people dislike/love. I mean, it’s not just TLJ critics celebrating TM’s appearance by Luke; it’s also sometimes TLJ fans criticizing his appearance there.

Now, *why* might a TLJ fan object to Luke’s appearance in TM, even as the time gap means it doesn’t directly impact TLJ?

Because it opens the door to “retconning” the spirit of TLJ’s story, in ways both big and small.

On a smaller scale, showing Luke as the powerful, courageous and heroic Jedi Knight only makes for an uncomfortable comparison for the stingiest of TLJ fans - the smarter ones reckon that of course Luke would have this more conventional period as a backstory for his arrogance in TLJ, while the more stubborn and insecure ones note the almost unanimous popularity of the portrayal and worry that their preferred story will be drowned out by its “antithesis.” It’s a little thing, and ultimately again is more a thing fo insecurity than anything else, but there *are* some who want to criticize the TM appearance because it might end up being more popular and lead into arguments about a “superior concept” for Luke compared to TLJ.

But on a larger scale… if someone uses that time gap to have Luke successfully train Jedi Knights who survive past the ST, that’s a more substantial rejection of TLJ’s idea that Luke was ultimately a failed teacher, or that his last great action as a Jedi Master is opposing the FO via illusion on Crait. You’ve now dramatically altered the context around the ST. It wouldn’t just be giving some TLJ critics canon material of Luke training others to point to for their arguments about TLJ messing up, but also outright rejecting some long term impact the ST wanted to have.

Though again, it’s more an insecurit thing than anything else. Since I actually think TLJ fans are actually *easier* to please than the critics, I wouldn’t be surprised if LFL leans into making a more “conventional” sequel story for Luke in the TM time period with cartoons, TV shows, comics, and books, just because they figure they can woo back more embittered Luke fans that way without disturbing the less-invested TLJ fans.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@godisawesome

wouldn’t the easiest way to do that and not necessarily retcon anything would be just set Luke’s conventional adventures in the early half of the 30 year timeline and leave enough wiggle room where his decline still happens even if you don’t show it.

RetropME and godisawesome like this.
  8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think the message in TLJ that Luke was a failed teacher. Luke could have trained many jedi over the years. Lukes breakdown was more over what he did and what he lost. not that he didn't have a 30 year legacy of a story.

9. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I hope there is a good Divider event/time so people can prepare themselves and know when the more blatant tie-ins to the ST and beyond era start to take over....

For the fans who want the more direct "This is how it all falls apart" tie-ins to the ST...I hope they get those shows and LF/Disney is up front about the marketing of them while shows like the Mando and other early Post RotJ stories get spared the work of having to set up ST plot threads.

For me there probably can't be any scenario like "TCW made the PT better" with the ST....no matter how many hours of Disney + content or how much I like things like Din, little Grogu, and Luke's act in their show at the moment...because the ST just isnt compatible with the ending of RotJ/Ep6 in my eyes. And anything it touches is going to have too much scar damage for me to enjoy even in stories set after it.
    [​IMG]
    To take the ST in the direction that they did and have a chance for it to work for me....the thing that would have to change and be redone is a theoretical Episode 6 itself.

Now for me that ship has sailed(meaning ST+eras)....Im not holding out any hope for TWBW timeline events....and want them to go into the distant past and do a version of the premise of Kotor...
    (Group of Jedi disobey council to go protect the republic in a war against the mandalorians....only for most of them to come back as Sith to conquer the rest of the Galaxy) and make that into a massive saga.

Whatever their plans for tying the Mando and other shows into the ST and beyond era....Grogu and one other between Ezra or Ahsoka will be the gateway drug to pull people into that era. Grogu's crew will likely have been off fighting/discovering a new threat during the events of the ST and come back to warn the rest of the galaxy.....Now depending on how much of a follow up to the ST they want that story to be...it could include Rey,Poe, Finn, and barf Kylo or be set hundreds of years down the line and be involved with whats left of their legacies.

2Cleva likes this.
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That’s exactly my point, and why it would work, just like how I think this:
    …proves my point too. Most intelligent TLJ fans aren’t going to mind what TLJ critics would consider “clean-up/reparations/soft-retcons” as long as it doesn’t directly impact TLJ.

It’d be the best balance of wooing back the critics without making secure TLJ fans feel like anything has changed.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Easy....Luke takes Ben Solo as his Jedi Apprentice...that is your Catalyst event.

Like that's how I would divide Luke's Post Endor Time

Pre Ben Solo conventional Luke adventures

Post Ben Solo Luke becoming more tied to the events of the Sequel Trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2021
    obi_kenobi_24 likes this.
  12. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I would make it so that the ST is in an alternate timeline where Vader actually killed Ashoka on Malachor and she wasn't saved by Ezra; that would be the event that causes the two different timelines to diverge. The Mandolorian would thus be the bedrock for this new post-ROTJ timeline from which all future stories stem from. That way, Favreau, Filoni, and co. have more creative freedom and aren't boxed in by other media. I would also continue to create stories in the ST timeline so that fans of those movies are thrown a bone. That way, both ST fans and ST haters/Mando fans would be satisfied and everybody wins.
    I'd recast her along with the other OT characters.
    They'd be the Imperial Remnant that was depicted in The Mandolorian. I wouldn't have them be nearly as powerful as the First Order was depicted. They'd be more on the same level as the New Republic, if not slightly less powerful.
    I would reveal that Gideon is a servant of Thrawn and have his appearance be teased throughout future seasons of Mando and related shows a la Thanos, building up to a live-action canon adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, albiet one that incorporates elements from Rebels and Mando.

13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That would honestly be too good to be true. Something pre-ST that reinforces both the later OT and the ST era.
    Endless possibilities. I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2021
    Oryx-I, godisawesome and HevyDevy like this.
  15. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol.
    I gotta catch up on Mando tbh. Only watched the first four or five eps.

You guys are still speculating on what they will continue to do with Luke though. I know he apparently took baby Yoda. And I saw the clip of him wasting droids.

The show is pretty good.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

lol

I mean I think Mandalorian is more or less fitting those parameters. It informs the later OT Post Endor Era but still more or less sprinkles the seeds of what the sT era will become

In my opinion

Probably why so far all factions of fandom have rallied around it

17. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I hope its as clean a break as that...another factor might be how much they want Luke to take part in this big MCU style cross over event they teased down the road....how far down the timeline is that?? and if its too far..does it mean we see a Ben Solo tagging along with Luke into that conflict

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Given how they only CGI'd his face and didn't recast I have a feeling Luke won't have a major role

godisawesome likes this.
  19. Gavin_Skywalker

Gavin_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 10, 2021
    I hate to break it to you, @Daxon101, but the ST was called out by Marcia Lucas. Also, Galactic Starcruiser and Galaxy’s Edge were both disasters because they had nothing to do with the OT or PT. As a result, Disney is no longer releasing anything ST related on television

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    Oryx-I, wobbits and RetropME like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The - now ancient - post retweets about how the Luke we see in Mando is a perfect match for the legendary failed figure filled of hubris who we see in the masterpiece known as The Last Jedi, who wouldn't know of any other way to rebuild the Jedi because he was trained by Obi-wan and Yoda are pretty laughable. Like laugh out loud laughable.

All because, you know, Luke looks like...erm...Luke, that we know, and not the wet and stinky grumpy coward we see in EP 8. But I'm baffled how anyone who looks at the Luke in Mando, can honestly think it matches the ST, and that further, that Luke would naturally go on to create the PT Jedi Order, with hubris and failures all intact, because Luke is just that stupid and ignorant, when Luke himself had already disobeyed his mentors and proved they were wrong about Anakin/Vader/Destiny/Life in EP 6.

Sometimes I wonder if ST fans actually watched ROTJ, or just heard about it in passing. Kind of like how I never got into the EU, but heard about it from other fans.

Lastly. Mandalorian, as well Book of Boba Fett, and the coming Ahsoka tv shows, are soft reboots of the ST. And that's because they're actually continuations of the OT, in the way that the ST should have been all along.

If the ST were as universally popular, we'd be getting tv shows about a Mandalorian set in the post FO ST years, making his way around the galaxy, coming across grogu, and setting out to find Rey, who can train him. The story would be moving forward. Building on the love and excitement that the ST generates. It would at the very least be about Palpatine and Snoke and Ben freaking Solo.

The current tv shows want nothing to do with the ST, or its era. That's why they're staying as far away as possible from it.

Oryx-I, wobbits, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Beskar Killer Base

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The climax of Rise of Skywalker is a crude insert of Grogu levitating into Exegol and making it all explode.

Cool, there's a Smell-O-Vision version of Last Jedi, where can I score that?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  23. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    As a (semi intelligent?) fan of TLJ and the sequel trilogy I will say this:

-I think there is a ton of wiggle room for Luke to do whatever/be whatever writers want him to be up until Rey finds him in TLJ. Luke's crappy defeatist attitude in TLJ stems from the fact that his failure was so personal and dealt with family.

-Even after Ben became Kylo Ren, Luke doesn't necessarily have to run to Ahch-To right away.

-I'd be in favor of a retcon/revelation/additional layers being added to why Luke is in exile. As seen in Spider-Man: No Way Home, the right story can make any crazy universe/retcon work if done properly.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

I think it's weak that the hut incident is what causes Luke to go into exile. It's really weak. The destruction of the academy is on the right level, that certainly would hurt him, and make him feel shame and hopeless, but that fact that it all started with the confrontation in the hut doesn't square.

I remember very early leaks/rumors that Luke went away because he feared he was becoming too powerful or even dangerous. Like he was a force-bomb or something, ready to go off and he couldn't control it anymore. Imagine if Luke, filled with hubris and wanting to live up to his legendary status, started using the force in bigger in bigger ways. Nothing dark side mind you, just insane amounts of power. And then something goes terribly wrong.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Exactly.

The only TLJ fans who think that The Mandalorian caused problems are those who *only* care about the style of Luke's story, and aren't confident in the story itself - because storywise, Luke has to have a period of being the legendary Jedi if he's supposed to eventually grow disillusioned of it in the first place.

And the fans who did like the story are almost certainly also flexible enough to enjoy the idea of expanding the pre-TLJ timeframe.

There are a lot of problems with the TLJ story for Luke in my opinion, but an unbreakable and static characterization for Luke was never one of them.