main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit If Palpatine or Darth Vader were ever captured what could they be charged with?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew78, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    Luke wanted to arrest Palpatine in Dark Empire 2 and in Empires End, Darth Vader got captured in The Force Unleashed 2, so if either of them were ever arrested and brought to trial what could they both be charged with? It was mentioned that they had a Umak Leth made energy cage and that could hold Palpatine, they might need Ysalamiri nearby just in case too, same with Vader.

But you have the two baddest Sith Lords ever, what do you charge them with? And if Anakin had ignored Palpatine and arrested Count Dooku it would be something to see what he would have been charged with, if he would have revealed Palpatine's secrets and plans, what he knew about the Sith and coming Empire, maybe that could grant him a lesser sentence, Palpatine of course might fry him if Anakin had resisted him anyway, not wanting things to be exposed, of course that would reveal his secret as Darth Sidious too early as well.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sovereign immunity ratione personae with immunity ratione materiae for their official acts. They're untouchable.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I hear Vader has a very impressive record of parking tickets.

4. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    "Darth Sidious, you are charged with causing, directly or indirectly, each and every negative or harmful event that's occurred in the galaxy since you were a teenager. Because we *know* it all comes back to you somehow. Everything that unfolds does so according to *your* design. Although we believe that Squib who was pushed into the trash compactor in Coronet City's Parkway three years ago might just be coincidence".

An aide whispers something, apparently showing off a rather detailed flowchart of cause and effect

"No? Ah, okay. Sidious, we're charging you with that too".

Ordo N-11, cdgodin, HWK-290 and 16 others like this.
  5. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    If you can point me to a reasonably brief treatise describing the laws of the GFFA, I'm sure we can work out a list of charges that we can try to get them indicted on.

6. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The New Republic would try them for war crimes and genocide.

Of course, if the Kyp Durron fiasco is anything to go by, the new republic will instead send them to be 'judged' by the Jedi Order. Where they'll be accepted back as Jedi, starting the whole process over again.

Aiden Keiran likes this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Mon Motha's declaration in - Imperial Sourcebook, Rebel Sourcebook, Heir Sourcebook? One of those - has basically a list of charges against Palpatine justifying the Rebellion. I imagine they'd be what he was formally charged with if taken to trial.

8. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I was hoping that TFU3 was going to be a courtroom drama with Vader on trial.

Grey1, cdgodin, AusStig and 5 others like this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    The TFU franchise already had a crossover with Soul Calibur; why not Ace Attorney, too?

Ordo N-11, AusStig and instantdeath like this.
  10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I could easily see Vader pulling off those Ace Attorney poses (because of course he'd represent himself).

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Mass genocide, Treason, Bribery, and fraud.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Vader would be a BOSS attorney.

I mean, hell, we saw his legal chops in ANH --

"If this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador?"

Guy knows his maritime law, let me tell you.

"You are part of the Rebel Alliance, and a traitor!"

criminal law too!

"I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further!"

MASTER of contract law!

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    You're...a....crook
    Captain Hook
    Judge, won't you throw the book
    At the piii-rate!

cdgodin, Zer0, Jeff_Ferguson and 2 others like this.
  14. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    In Outcast, Daala tells Luke that the Imperial Remnant has a standing indictment against Kyp Durron for 'planetary genocide' for the destruction of Carida. Palpatine and Vader could both face multiple counts of that particular charge, which is surely more than sufficient to demand capital punishment.

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Multiple Counts of Planetary Genocide would be at the top of the list.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think you'll find that people like Grand Moff Tarkin were wholly independent and acted completely without the Emperor's direction and control.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Crimes against the universe, genocide, corruption etc.

18. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Tacit Approval, Tarkin was not punished for such acts.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    In what universe is a single day considered enough time to infer approval? Perhaps in a New Republic show trial, but I'm talking about credible legal systems here...

20. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Come on he signed off on the construction of a planet destroying weapon. What did he think it was going to get used for?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Planetary Ore Extraction.

BigAl6ft6, cdgodin, Zer0 and 7 others like this.
  22. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    It is not necessary to invoke the Death Star to find a planet destroyed on Palpatine's orders. The destruction of Caamas was carried out at his command - that's planetary genocide right there.

During the Dark Empire period Palpatine gave the orders to dispatch World Devastators to Dac, and ordered the Galaxy Gun fired multiple times, destroying at least three planets (Da Soocha V, Krinemonen, and Hirsi).

Regarding the Death Stars, Palpatine also placed a standing order to have the Death Star II fire on the Forest Moon of Endor as a contingency - so that would be suitable for a charge of 'attempted planetary genocide.'

Vader's culpability in the destruction of planets is not as easily established, but he was certainly responsible for the destruction of whole populations, such as the Atoan species, when it suited him.

VanishingReality likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Indeed. Ask Qwi Xux, she knows what she's talking about since she worked in the Maw Installation. :D

Now, as far as Mon Mothma's accusations are concerned, at least two of them are blatant lies!
    The Declaration of Rebellion was issued at the founding of the Rebellion (obviously), which occurred in 2 BBY. However, the dissolution of the Imperial Senate was only decided at the beginning of ANH, which is two years after the Declaration of Rebellion was issued. This is outrageous! :p

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Was it, though? What evidence do we have that the Emperor ordered the destruction of Caamas? I'm not talking about rumor or insinuation -- you want to accuse someone of "planetary genocide" (whatever that is -- sounds made up to me, but then the Remnant is made up of loonies so... there you go), we need something hard.

As far as Dark Empire, I find it highly unethical to accuse His Imperial Majesty of crimes committed by multiple other people. What's next, accusing Rex of the crimes committed by every single clone trooper ever? Patently ridiculous. Clones are not the same people, this is a recognize fact under the laws of both the Republic and Empire. What sort of monkey trial is this?

And now we're alleging attempted genocide? Mere encouragement is not an attempt, nor is there vicarious liability or command responsibility for an unconsummated crime. What is this? Are we just going to make things up now? I accuse Mon Mothma of frumpy dress without notice and due cause!

Finally whether or not Lord Vader destroyed any populations or species -- and I surely do not suggest that he did -- I am certain that he would have had a compelling reason and such exigent circumstances would justify his actions.

cdgodin and Aegon Starcaster like this.
  25. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The Rebels executed Bevelisk and Grand Admiral Teshik, I very much doubt Vader and Palpatine would get a fair trial...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.