main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Rogue One was so good, why drop Anthology films because of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Durge27, Jun 10, 2020.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    yes i was particularly thinking of Christmas 2016..just a brilliant time globally for star wars.. i still enjoyed two other Christmases as my family still enjoyed our Christmas trips ending in two trips to see Rise of skywalker in 2019

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I've always thought that statement was crap. If you look at a film from the perspective of its "necessity," or having been "asked for," then that renders most films pointless! The entire ST was "not needed," all one-off films that don't have sequels are "not asked for." It doesn't matter if there wasn't massive fanbase clamoring for a certain story to be told. It was done-and can still be good anyway. That's the whole entertainment industry really-filmmakers thinking of entertaining things people haven't thought of, and selling it to the masses.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    wobbits likes this.
  3. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I only have one issue with the whole shift from movies to "TV" Shows. None of the stuff is getting a physical release, I cant add Season 7 of TCW, Mandos Seasons 1 and 2 or the whole show of Resistance to my SW home Cinema Collection. It stays digital and can be taken away from us.

As for Solo and its Sequel. I loved Solo. I liked it beeing a smaller Adventure in style of a single SW novel. The Music was amazing and it featuered an all new SW Theme by John Williams. I think the Sequel/Prequel to that movie will be the newly announced LANDO D+ Show...again which we wont ever own so thats a bummer...

4. dazin5

dazin5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    I thought Rogue One was surprisingly good. Have yet to see Solo. I expect the latter suffered as a result of a backlash against Disney StarWars resulting from controversies concerning the prequel 'trilogy', and political stuff behind the scenes, alienation and insulting of fans and so forth. The more I hear about the current regime and cultural cimate at Disney/Lucasfilm the less incluned I am to invest anything in their output. If you suspect there's poison in the tree, you don't rush to consume its fruit.

wobbits likes this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    In light of Rogue Squadron getting announced, I don't really don't see how this question is relevant any longer. They haven't dropped the Anthology films. They'll probably drop the "A Star Wars Story" subtitle, but frankly that was the only thing connecting Rogue One to Solo in the first place. They put the entire theatrical side of the franchise on hiatus, like they said, and then they're resuming. That's it.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
  7. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I wouldn't fear too much. Right now Disney is holding the material hostage to drive subscriptions. Once the material is old enough to not be that kind of draw, they will peddle it out in collectible box sets or special anniversary editions, or whatever catch phrase garbage they scribble on the cover to mark up the cost another 20 bucks. There is too much money waiting there, and they know that. But right now, if the statistics show new subscribers are clicking on Mando when they log in...If they see subscription renewals that directly correlate to accounts that repeatedly play TCW...the data says it is gold right where it is. But nothing stays the same.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Star Wars movie releases are generally sacred things, so I think that there is probably a sense of "Don't waste the opportunity" with each. Look how much the sequels are lamented, it appears to be never-ending. So when I see "Nobody asked for this" or "This story didn't need telling", what I think it actually means is simply "There are far more stories that ought to take precedence over this one"

I don't think that people mean "Nobody asked for this", I just think they mean "Nobody asked for this yet, when there are other things we would rather see first"

The fans know that with each movie release, there is usually a bit of a wait until the next one.

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    To the original topic:

I think Solo is a convenient whipping boy. I think by the time Ron Howard was on board, they knew they had a turkey of a film, even if the film itself was cinematic gold, the public perception was already tarnished. In a world where dirty laundry is up to the second news, that was the promotion for this film.

They knew it, and they decided to "dump" it on the market. In the aftermath of TLJ, they were even more ready to cut ties with the projects being juggled. I suspect, if they could've cancelled TROS in early 2018, they probably would have.

But instead, we got these films. Love them or hate them, they were released, they made money, and they are a part of the universe. However, for a machine like Disney, the idea of winning a box office weekend is small potatoes anymore. If they jeopardize the stranglehold on the rabid consumer fanbase, that would be the truly ruinous moment.

But that doesn't mean what you think it means.

That means they are forced to release bad content. Imagine if Solo was cancelled. Even a big budget Star Wars film could be shelved by Disney. Their bottom line would not have suffered all that greatly. Instead, in the face of real problems with production, a vitriol in the public forum, and slipping returns, they knew that if they just pulled the plug, it could dent the armor of the juggernaut. Can you imagine what people would say if they cancelled a Star Wars film?

So they pressed forward and dumped it on the market, knowing full well it would vanish into the summer behind Marvel and Pixar titles. And now, they will be much more chased before throwing money at an idea.

Well...until Mando came along...and now they have committed the same sin in series land. I guess the hope they can hit more then miss by upping the attempts.

I hope so.

10. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I'm not a fan of Solo. I think that the cinematography particularly is bad. The picture is just so gloomy. I like Ehrenreich, I think he did a good job, but I think that it was a missed opportunity (a common Disney theme)

I think Solo needed to be a lot bolder, and weirder. Han Solo inhabits the Star Wars underworld, and nothing represents that better than the denizens of Jabba's palace. If they had gone for a far out movie with loads of "strange stuff", lots of cool Jim Henson animatronic puppet aliens and creatures, and had more fun with it, it could have been a great movie. But it was a bit dull as well. I loved Val though.

11. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I think both Rogue One and Solo are good.

In fact they're both my favorite films that Disney Lucasfilm has produced thus far.

Here's hoping Rogue Squadron continues the trend!

wobbits likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree. Though Rogue One is unequivocally the better of the two.

wobbits likes this.
  13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Whenever pressed, I always regard the 2 anthology films like this:

Rogue One: 2 hours of trying to guess character names and not fall asleep, followed by the best 20 minutes of Star Wars ever put on film.

Solo
    : A well paced, action packed adventure, until the Kessel Run is over, and the film limps to an anticlimax duller than a wet fart.

So by that estimation, there is one triumphant film and one mediocre one between the 2...it's just jumbled up a bit...which elevates one perhaps a little more then it deserves, and denigrates the other more then it should.

All in all, I think I enjoyed Solo as a theater experience more then I did Rogue One (except the last 20 minutes). But Rogue One is a better film.

As we know it now, both of these films were mired in production hell. One was just saved by an incredible 3rd act rewrite, and the other was merely drug across the finish line with re-shoots on a budget.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I prefer the first 20 minutes of Rogue One, actually (though I also love the last 20).

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Me too. The opening sequence with the Ersos is my favorite part of the film.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Its just...perfection. Tense, beautiful, otherworldly but so viscerally real. It’s one of my favorite stretches of Star Wars.

17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Both films' respective productions arguably encountered the most upheaval and consequently made both films much costlier for Lucasfilm than they were initially budgeted (especially Solo).

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    My favorites are the first 20 minutes, the second 20 minutes, the third 20 minutes, the fourth 20 minutes, the fifth 20 minutes, the sixth 20 minutes, and the last 13 minutes. :p

19. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Those black stormtroopers heading toward the Erso house is a nice take on that old "bandits approaching the farmhouse" trope often seen in movies.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know, there's one minute somewhere in the middle that I think is slightly less interesting than the rest. :p

Darth__Lobot, Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  22. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    I think they thought there was a movie fatigue and decided to focus on TV content instead. Correct decision imo, better to test new stuff on TV and see what people like and then make movies accordingly.

Movies should also remain big events once in a few years.

Palp_Faction and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Blasphemy.

#CancelTCF-1138

EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    With TV, Disney has the luxury of developing characters and taking more risks. Movies have just two hours and a limited release schedule to make as much money as possible. George modelled SW on the Flash Gordon Saturday morning matinees of his youth and so Mando, being released weekly to be viewed on modern, large TV screens, is actually closer to George's original vision than the movies. Personally, I'm very happy now that SW is on TV.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. I actually think that in the modern entertainment world, Star Wars is much better suited to the TV format than the feature film format. TV is going to give the GFFA a Renaissance, whereas in film it was treading tired, imitative ground.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021