main
side
curve

Saga If Star Wars was "Make your own canon"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Solister, Jan 27, 2020.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would keep the following in-canon:

1. KOTOR
    2. Plagueis novel
    3. Darth Bane trilogy
    4. Outbound Flight
    5. Shadows of the Empire
    6. Death Star
    7. the "tales from" books, Mos Eisley cantina and Jabba's palace.

Each of these could realistically have been kept in the NewCanon, without disrupting anything else new that exists. Maybe Shadows of the Empire would be pushing it...but still.

I also would've preferred Thrawn's original storyline. I DO like how he was introduced in the NewCanon, but I like the original Thrawn Trilogy better.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I really, really hate the word "canon" (continuity is such a silly thing for one to get too hung up on, in my opinion - technically speaking, whatever story I am currently watching is what is "canon" in the moment because it is what is playing out in front of my eyes, and what I'm digesting and analyzing in real time) but I'll play along to the best of my abilities here - the way I approach things, the original six films are the texts on which everything else revolves, and thus are the core Star Wars experience. The Clone Wars is an extension of Lucas' six films, providing more insight into his world, his characters, and perhaps most importantly, his wide and varied interests as a filmmaker - and it also marks a sort of transition point that hands major pieces of the franchise off to Dave Filoni and allows for narratives like Rebels and The Mandalorian to showcase Filoni's own evolving, ongoing take on the world of Star Wars, post-Lucas.

Rogue One
    and Solo are the equivalent of "expanded universe" novels, and I really enjoy them as pieces of Star Wars that don't stem from the "Creator" but are rather the works of individual filmmakers approaching Star Wars from their own lens. But even more so, I find them interesting beyond their "expanded universe" properties because they really try to own that Star Wars lineage - Rogue One doesn't exist without Seven Samurai and WWII films as its backbone, and Solo is a pulpy dime novel brought to the big screen.

The Sequel Trilogy gets kind of tricky, in that I don't much like the approach to the state of the galaxy post-RotJ, but I do have some fun with The Force Awakens for the most part (the biggest failure of TFA, in my opinion, is that it seems to be too trapped in the mythology of Star Wars, to the point where it doesn't look anywhere but the original Star Wars for inspiration and thus winds up feeling more like a film about Star Wars, rather than a Star Wars film itself), but I do I kind of love The Last Jedi as a film (even if it is held back in part by the trappings of the Sequel Trilogy as imposed by TFA before it). I know that discussing TLJ, be it in a positive or negative light, is kind of a touchy subject on the internet, so I'm going to just kind of keep it at that. The less said about The Rise of Skywalker, however, the better, and I haven't seen Resistance.

I also feel like Star Wars doesn't exist without taking the body of Star Wars films hand in hand with the material that ultimately brought us the Star Wars in the first place. Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces, the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa, American Westerns (The Searchers comes to mind, especially when I think of Attack of the Clones), Lucas' earlier films THX-1138 and American Graffiti, the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, especially in the way they seem to be directly influencing Dave Filoni today, etc. The way I see it, the materials that fed into getting us Star Wars are just as much as important as those baring the title of Star Wars, and when I think about and discuss Star Wars, works like these are just as much part of the language that I use as the Star Wars films themselves, so in that regard I would consider them part of my the body of works that is my Star Wars "canon."

Man, I really hope that Lucas kept his word and actually did go on to make his small art films to screen for his friends after selling the company. I would absolutely love to see those some day, if they exist. I would also love to visit his museum.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  3. Lord Sith Harloxzz

Lord Sith Harloxzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2016
    Only the original Lucas Saga is canon the EU Legends, Disney canon Clone Wars shows are tales, myths and holoshows from the universe

DurararaFTW likes this.
  4. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2020
    KOTOR I+II
    Star Wars I
    Racers I+II
    Star Wars II
    *Clone Wars
    The Clone Wars
    Star Wars III
    *The Force Unleashed I+II
    Solo
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    Star Wars IV-V
    Vader-Comics (Greg Pak)
    Star Wars VI
    The Mandalorian
    Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy
    Star Wars Resistance
    Star Wars VII-IX

* in parts

(I think if I would consume novels and comics more often, my headcanon would be bigger. Also some of the old legends stuff I didn't like and didn't integrate into my headcanon.)

5. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    I've found that most Legends stuff prior to Endor can so far be fit into Disney canon with at most a few alterations.

Prior to the High Republic, pretty much anything is game as it has yet to be covered in canon. That includes Tales of the Jedi, KoTOR/TOR, and the Darth Bane Novels. Through the Prequel era there can be a few conflicts, but the best stuff including the the Luceno novels, Dark Horse Comics, games like Starfighter, Bounty Hunter, and Republic Commando, and the original Clone Wars cartoon can still find a fit. You do have to alter the last three episodes of Clone Wars so that the Anakin storyline doesn't overlap with the Grievous' attack on Coruscant as that is contradicted in canon by the Siege of Mandalore in TCW, but otherwise the two series work together just like they did in Legends.

After Ep III things get a little trickier, but much can still be made to work. Stuff prior to Rebels in the intersaga timeline is generally just fine. Stuff in the few years before Ep IV become tighter but there's room with heavy alterations. The Force Unleashed is a good example: several major points in the game regarding the foundation of the Rebel Alliance are directly contradicted by Rebels in canon, but the bulk of both games' stories and characters still work. The old Han Solo novels run into major contradictions with the Solo movie, but you could still have most of the stories if you just changed them to be set after he got the Falcon. During the GCW proper you can still fit most videogames (including the X-Wing/TIE Wing games, although you would have to replace Thrawn with another character), short story collections like 'Tales of', and the Dark Horse comics in if you shuffle the timeline around a bit to make room for the new Marvel comics. Time will tell how much of Shadows of the Empire can be incorporated into the new Marvel post-ESB run as well.

After Endor, any sort of organic hybridization falls apart entirely and you either have to pick one continuity and stick with it or create your own headcanon mixture. Personally, I disliked Disney's post-Endor GCW since day one because I felt putting Jakku only a year after Endor was wrapping things up to quick. But if instead you put Jakku at, say, 7 ABY instead of 5 ABY, you can still include most of the Legends stuff like the Dark Horse comics and first several Rogue Squadron novels in before it. Which is a timeline I'm working on at the moment because those stories were really among the best of the entire Legends EU while the Aftermath novels are some of the weakest points of Disney canon (in my opinion).

Beyond that you have the Mandalorian, maybe a new version of the events of the Thrawn trilogy, and then I just stick with canon seeing as whatever issues I might have with the Sequel era I never really thought NJO or Vong stuff in Legends was all that great, either.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think only the Saga, Rogue One, Solo (the movie), TCW, Rebels, and The Mandalorian should be canon. Should JJ Abrams really be beholden to an obscure comic?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    4 words.
    Han Solo. Sarcastic Jedi.
    Driving Yoda and Obi Wan crazy. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    antitoxicgamer likes this.
  8. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    For me the six films Lucas wrote and produced are the only real canon. Everything else is pretty much fan fiction. The Clone Wars counts to a lesser extent as Lucas was more involved there. I kind of wish the Thrawn trilogy and some of the better EU stuff was canon, despite some chronological inconsistencies. I don't care for the Disney era stuff at all.

9. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Technically the ST is as much fanfiction as Legends is. Regardless of who has the rights or who owns the property, they're both made by fans, not the creator. They just have different media and different budgets. That's really the only difference: Money.

But yeah, "headcanon" is basically the stuff you like and want to focus on, and the other stuff is what you want retconned out, but you just have to settle on tuning out instead.

My headcanon / the stuff I like being part of the SW continuity: OT, PT, RO. The 2D Clone Wars (at least in concept). Some of the OT-era Disney/Marvel comics.

Not-headcanon / i.e., the retcon trashbin: ST, Legends, Solo, TCW, Rebels, Resistance, Mandalorian.

Because I actually like some material from the Disney era, it makes things a bit complicated.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Reepicheep775 and HolyKenobi93 like this.
  10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If Anakin's entire characterization wasn't changed, I would accept TCW as canon. For now, I consider it a "what if" parallel to the films in the same way the 2003 MTV Spider-Man show was to the Raimi films.

The 2002-2007 CW multimedia project and NJO/LOTF are the three Legends materials I consider canon to the Lucas saga.

Kenobi might change or complicate that if Hayden Christensen and Rosario Dawson are shown in flashbacks together, which will help me to accept TCW more, but for now, that's how I see it.

11. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    For me, I-IX, RO, and Solo are canon. Resistance is canon. Select episodes of TCW are canon. Basically any episode that does not involve Anakin or Obi-Wan. Even though I preferred the characterization of Anakin in TCW over the movies, it was a direct contradiction to what is established canon from the movies, so those episodes get dropped from my canon. Season one of Mandalorian is canon, but I'm up in the air on whether I'll include season two in my head canon. Rebels is not in my canon. Everything contained in that show was a direct contradiction to the canon established in the movies. I do include the EU story of the Je'daii and the origins of the Jedi and Sith as canon. I'm a bit nervous how they're going to alter the original story of Tython in Mandalorian. I have a feeling I'll end up not including Kenobi in my head canon. Of course, it depends on how they shape the stories and portray Obi-Wan, so we'll see.

12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    For me, only Episodes I-VI are canon (for a lack of a better term, because I hate that word).
    I have watched and enjoyed episodes VII-IX and Rougue One. They're like "The Hobbit" to my "Lord of the Rings". Somewhat distantly related.
    I watched Solo once and I really didn't like it, though I'd like to watch it again someday.
    I have never watched anything else related to SW. I guess I'll have to see the Mandalorian sooner or later, but I don't really have much interest to be honest.
    And I don't think I've ever read any of the novels either.

So, for me SW is something much smaller than for many of you. A six-part story by George Lucas.

Sith Lord 2015 and HolyKenobi93 like this.
  13. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    I don't really like the prequels or Rogue One or Rebels very much, but I don't go so far as to eliminate the events in them from my head cannon. I don't think they're very well made for a variety of reasons, but there's bound to be ups and downs in any long running franchise. For me, the things I truly pretend didn't happen are the special editions of the OT and TROS. I respect that GL made the changes he wanted to and I understand the people who see those versions as his final vision, but the original versions of the OT will always be the "true" versions in my mind. As for TROS, I just can't accept Rey as a Palpatine. Not because I was set on her being anyone else because truthfully, I never cared much who she was. From a narrative standpoint I never found the mystery of her origins all that interesting or important but from a thematic standpoint I love what they did with her in TLJ. I know many will disagree, but I love TLJ and my favorite thing about it is it's theme that anyone can become someone special or powerful. To me, that's truly the spirit of Star Wars. Episode IX took that theme and completely threw it out the window. It's an entertaining enough movie, but in my mind I pretend it never happened.

14. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    My “canon”:

The Clone Wars (movie and show)
    Solo
    Droids (not joking)
    Rebels
    Rogue One (kinda)
    Star Wars 1977
    The animated segment of the holiday special (not joking)
    The Empire Strikes Back (reluctantly)
    Return of the Jedi (reluctantly)
    The Mandalorian
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

haven’t played any of the games or read any of the books or comics, so I can’t comment on those.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I-VI, the novels up through Legacy of the Force, and the X-Wing, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, and KOTOR games are "my" Star Wars. Although admittedly it's not so much a matter of canon or quality and more just that I feel closer to the material from the years when I was a more hardcore fan.

Had Solo been released in 1997 or even 2007 I'd probably appreciate it a lot more. Somewhere along the line Star Wars became just another series to me. One I'm still interested in, but not one that I'm attached to like I once was. I'll probably never even watch material that is permanently locked behind Disney Plus.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would say it's all canon except for TROS. Do that one again please. As much as I rag on it, it had some good moments.

17. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2021
    My personal Canon consists of the 6 original films created by George Lucas, Rogue One and all the material belonging to the Legends universe that I like. I exclude any material belonging to the Disney Canon, except for Rogue One.

In addition to any Disney material, I exclude from my personal Canon also the Legends material I don't like or I don't care about, such as Down of the Jedi, KOTOR II, SWTOR and affiliated novels, Dark Empire, The Force Unleashed II, the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight games, the X-Wing books, the Maul-centric novels set before Episode I, every EU story that contradicts Rogue One, and all the post-ROTJ novels and comics set after the Young Jedi Knights series.

Also, in my personal Canon the Clone Wars Multimedia Project is what happened during the Clone Wars. I don’t consider TCW or affiliated media as Canon.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  18. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    my personal canon is TPM happened,

Palpatine then went for a nap and Ep 2 onwards was his dream :p

but in all seriousness, I don't really bother about what is and isn't anymore but for me, for simplicity's sake...I-VI.

darkspine10 and Sarge like this.
  19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Canon is kind of what we make of it. That being said, it's kind of ridiculous when people hate on any of the movies or other works and try to act like they aren't canon. You may not think they are, but Lucasfilm and many other fans do.

As for me..I have a few major canon (to me) alternate timelines I think of (almost like a Star Wars multiverse, or at least branching of timelines)
    1. Classic EU/Legends: It more or less includes most aspects of what Disney has deemed Legends, and of course includes George's 6 movies. I would wipe all TCW material from the timeline. TCW is great, but even some of its content that is branded Legends contradicts the rest of Legends a lot. I might also wipe Dark Empire from the timeline. I haven't experienced the Clone Palpatine stories in Legends, but the very existence of them in any timeline gets a mixed reaction from me. Minor detail, but I would also get rid of Thame Cerulian. Padawan Dooku learning from someone other than Yoda is dumb.
    2. New Canon: Just about everything Lucasfilm currently considers canon. The films, the shows, novels, etc.
    3. Classic Timeline: A small timeline with most content released from 1997 onward wiped out. No special editions, prequels, sequels, or anything. This is a timeline I don't really care for, but it's interesting to think about. Maybe throw in the KOTOR games because they take place so long before the classic films anyway that they don't contradict much.

There are a few other fringes in there, but modified Legends and Canon are mostly what I'm into.

20. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    I - VI + Rogue + Solo + TCW I guess. I don't really pretend that the rest doesn't exist, I just don't think about most of it much anymore. I could also potentially put in the Thrawn trilogy in the place of the Sequel trilogy. For the sake of my own interests, what's canon to me is the stuff that I would likely go back and revisit again.

21. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2019
    pre-TPM EU
    PT
    TCW
    A. C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    OT
    The Mandalorian
    post-RotJ EU

I'm fine with most of the Disney canon, but I'd swap out the ST with the post-RotJ EU because I vastly prefer it. I couldn't do without Mando though and, because I don't know where that show, and related shows, are leading, I might have to delete some of the early Bantam stuff. Disney hasn't done much pre-TPM besides the High Republic (and, heck, I could probably keep that in my canon since it's in a time period the EU never covered) and name-dropping classic EU characters in random places, so this is a no-brainer. I much prefer the old Han Solo Trilogy to Solo, so that movie would be gone. I'd also go with TCW over the EU's multi-media project. Imagining the Clone Wars without Rex or Ahsoka just feels wrong now. I'd also take Rogue One over Dark Forces. Sorry Kyle Katarn. There are theoretically a bunch of Dark Times/OT EU I could fit in there, but I don't know off the top of my head what would contradict with Rebels and I couldn't do without "Twilight of the Apprentice" or "Twin Suns".

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  22. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    With some adjustments, Episodes 1-6 are canon for me. I'd keep Rogue One and the Mandalorian as canon too.

23. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2019
    This is the real answer for me. Though I'd add at least one more...

4. Lucas Canon: This is only for the stuff that Lucas had a direct hand in and aligns with his vision for Star Wars. This canon includes PT + TCW + OT + whatever Lucas's ST would have been.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager -King of the North star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    It would ensure that Mara Jade (independently and as Luke's wife) was in the storyline, especially the ST.

Reepicheep775 likes this.
  25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    All of clone wars 2003...need someone clever to get a chronological order to watch or with filoniverse

Darth__Lobot likes this.