main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC "If the Earth wasn't flat, why does NASA only show CGI images of it?"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is totally arbitrary skepticism and mostly exposes the core lie at the bottom of the "question everything" rhetoric, as evidenced by the fact that these people are not constantly going through a specifically Cartesian sort of sophistic hell, paralyzed into permanent inaction by doubts about their own existence.

... Uh oh.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Sarge, Juliet316, 3sm1r and 1 other person like this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , like a disc.

Alpha-Red and Darth Smurf like this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I take Flat Earth "theory" as personal insult. Last year, my daughter flew Montreal - Paris - Bejing - Tokyo - Vancouver - Montreal.

Not only are these people saying my daughter lies to me, they also imply I'm a really bad investor.

Lordban, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  4. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Did God ever tell Moses that its round?

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have to walk up a hill to get to lunch, therefore the earth is a hill.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hit up Kyrie Ivring on Twitter.

solojones likes this.
  7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    If the earth is flat how come the tides don’t just wash me over the edge?

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Both of these touch on a recurring theme when arguing against Flat Earthers--they will deny the existence of things most of us acknowledge as real. In @Darth Guy's video, there's an argument about whether the duration of specific flights along specific routes are genuine or just listed on an airline's site to contribute to the conspiracy. The argument here is that some airline flights don't actually exist--that the airlines post them to help hide the "fact" that the Earth isn't round.

@SuperWatto's post also hits on a recurring argument of Flat Earthers (at least in my experience). They do not believe that the International Space Station is real--or, that it orbits the Earth. Remember, anything associated with NASA is CGI and fake--part of the conspiracy.

This is actually the really annoying part, I think. You can present the wealth of research we, as a people, have collected over the centuries to them, but Flat Earthers will simply say, "How do we know that's real? Have you physically seen the ISS? Have you been there?"

That, to me, is like saying, "Well, how do you know that I need oxygen survive? Do you see the oxygen entering your body? Or did you just read that in some book or article written by some scientist?"

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, I have physically seen satellites in the sky. But sure, space is fake.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, he did not. He told him he shouldn't lie.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Which is why when Moses cut down the cherry tree, he won a court case defending an innocent man from a murder charge, and refused to surrender to Xerxes. This was instrumental in his campaign to liberate India from British rule.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Our arrows will blot out the burning bush!

Lordban and Sarge like this.
  13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Moses don't need arrows , he has a rifle.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They're not HIS arrows, they're Xerxes' arrows. Don't you know your Heroditus?!

Sarge likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm pretty sure you're thinking of giant ants.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorry, I've been listening to a 15-hour podcast on the Achaemenids, and that is ALL I mean about anything right now, thank you [face_plain]

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Who'd listen to a 15 hour podcast about giant ants? I mean like 3 hours in you're definitely just getting boring details about giant thoraxes.

Sarge, Ezio Skywalker and solojones like this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Who'd listen to a 15-hour podcast on anything? Nutjobs.

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, you can easily see the Earth's curvature with a decent pair of binoculars or a small telescope and some convenient objects on the horizon (e.g. off-shore wind turbines). :)

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Don't forget it's how you explain fata morgana.... wait, do flat earthers believe in the Flying Dutchman too? Please tell me they do.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I'll have to ask. But I'm afraid of the results.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Many years ago I used to listen to Coast To Coast AM. After that experience I am not shocked that there are people who think the Earth is flat. And there are lizard people. And mandroid probes.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Flat Earthers and other conspiracy morons are the worse kind of special snowflake contrarians. “I’m just questioning things instead of believing what I’ve been told by people who have dedicated their entire lives studying this very subject”. They do this because they think it makes them special and unique, because they know something the world doesn’t, because they think differently (ie, not at all). It’s lazy enlightenment inspired by “you are special” posters. They’re not questioning anything, they’re taking ignorant, contrarian stances and feeling very satisfied with them. It’s the most annoying form of arrogance, to think their dumb, ignorant asses that can’t pass a high school Earth science test knows anything. They’re wasting everyone’s time and holding society back by forcing society to repeatedly answer questions and prove something that has been proven over and over for centuries.

I kinda hate these people.

24. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    wear a t shirt that has a nasa logo and says "Never A Straight Answer"

Ezio Skywalker, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    @solojones mentioned something about how people who subscribe to Flat Earth theory are idiots. I don't think they are complete idiots, just that they practice a specific type of idiocy in relation to this. Seeing as how I seem to have more regular exposure to Flat Earthers than many of you, I can say that the ones I've met are all really nice people. They also very capable and skilled in their respective fields--those fields not being astronomy, physics, or any of the sciences.

I do think that they do, to some extent, practice the behavior described in the above quoted post. They think that merely by questioning something most of us take as commonplace fact, they are thinking outside of the box and are aware of something the rest of us aren't. So yeah, I suppose in this there is a level of arrogance there in that stance.

Sometimes it boggles my mind. They can be perfectly reasonable on so many other subjects. But Flat Earth vs globe comes up, and suddenly they reject all sources suggesting a spherical world. But they believe in things like modern medicine. So science is only trustworthy when it can obviously do something for their benefit? It's a very specific and selective type of ignorance.

solojones likes this.