main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

if they'd made Mando into a film would it have been loved as much?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by darthfettus2015, Dec 16, 2020.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Wondering if Mando could have been a film first? What story to be told in two hours? Thoughts...?
    Also is mando so big now he could carry a feature to end his story?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A single film? No a series of films? Maybe

darthfettus2015 and Shadao like this.
  3. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    In my opinion, no. Mandalorian’s strength is that it keeps its scope small and tells intimate stories that don’t typically have galactic ramifications. While this works wonderfully in a TV episodic format, I imagine it would have left fans underwhelmed due to the expectations that a true Star Wars theatrical experience should leave you in a sense of awe from its scope and scale.

Following in this vein, I suspect for similar reasons that Solo may have become as beloved as The Mandalorian had it been released instead as a Disney+ miniseries

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A feature length film would not have spent nearly half an hour having Mando be tormented by Jawas. So that film can go to hell.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It might have worked if it was just a standalone movie that wasn't meant to be anything more than what it is. It wouldn't be some grand arc to tell, but a simple action adventure flick like Rogue One or Solo.

That said, I don't think it would have worked because it would have to be about an known character, which wouldn't be seen as a Mando flick but a movie about that character who is a Mandalorian. And they wouldn't have been able to much with a random Mandalorian that we've never been introduced to.

Hence why the show format was the way to go and allowing us to get to know the character.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If Jawas torturing a Mandalorian for half an hour was literally the only thing Disney Plus gave us, it would’ve still been worth the 3-year subscription I paid for.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Now, hear me out - a feature length film with the entire two hours just showcasing Mando being tormented by Jawas.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. That single film would be my Saga.

Riv_Shiel, bstnsx704 and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    No. If Solo was any indication, films on smaller scope work best on TV format. There were many times where I felt Solo would have been a much better received film... if it was made into a TV series and we gradually see Han become Han Solo. The film just sort of rushed it to fit the time.

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I don't think so. Solo wasn't well received, although the behind the scenes problems didn't help, so I think it would be a non-event.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What if it was just two hours of that? :p

13. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    I'm guessing that a Mandalorian film would inevitably have focused on Fett because of the pre-existing character recognition. I think Lucasfilm/Disney made the right call by opting for the long form television/small screen storytelling approach focusing on a new character, namely Din Djarin. I've never been a massive Fett fan, but I've enjoyed the way he has been slowly introduced into The Mandalorian. I've posted elsewhere that I think Fett has, within the couple or so episodes he has appeared in, become a much more interesting character than he was, for me, based on ESB and ROTJ and, I guess, AOTC. Obviously, Star Wars still has a big screen future, but I think TCW, Rebels and The Mandalorian have shown that long form storytelling can deliver something much more nuanced and satisfying. It obviously helps if you have the right people on board and I think Filoni and Favreau - as well as some of the great storytellers and directors that have worked on The Mandalorian - are those right people. I'm looking forward to the season finale dropping on Friday! Still, given that the Ahsoka and Rangers of The New Republic series are all set in the same timeline as The Mandalorian, I wouldn't rule out that some kind of ultimate, intertwined finale of the three series could end-up on the big screen.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think it's more or less impossible to say whether it would have been as popular, as a film would have had to be so entirely different from the show. A two hour movie simply can't tell a story like a multi-season TV show - or even a single-season show - can.

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Not to be argumentative, but based on this notion, then the show should have bombed because it was based on an unknown character. Star Wars would have bombed in 77 because none of the characters were known.
    If it was a movie, we wouldn't have been able to delve as deeply into Din's character, especially with his range of emotion being null due to always wearing the helmet. I think that would be a bigger cause for it to not work as a movie as opposed tp a show.

Riv_Shiel, TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The way I see it, the “alchemy” that has made The Mandalorian’s story so special is the measured pacing, gradual development, and constant enjoyment it can generate across 8 episodes per season across two years... and that “alchemy” couldn’t exist in a movie, not even necessarily a set of movies.

The Mandalorian rewards patience, weekly surges in speculation and celebration, and looooong term investment.

If you removed those elements, even if you compensated elsewhere to tell a good story in a movie... it wouldn’t be The Mandalorian as we recognize it stylistically, dramatically, or philosophically.

So while it’s possible a film with the same name, characters, and broad story goals could have been equally loved, I think the type of media they are and the type of love they received would be literally incomparable - as in, you can’t compare it.

17. i believe the movie will be exactly the same like the show but with less adventures and characters Mando face Gideon and finds Grogu planet in the end

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2020
  18. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    hope a cinema does show the mandolrian on a big screen one day some of us are watching on crappy laptops

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Solo also didn’t have an insanely adorable baby Yoda species in it.

Riv_Shiel, TCF-1138 and Shadao like this.
  20. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    One of the things that hooked people onto the Mandalorian was in fact Grogu (AKA Baby Yoda) at the end of the first episode. Without that last scene, the whole premise comes across as a poor-man's Boba Fett show. It was that revelation that gave the show its identity and the fact it was kept a secret until release only made it more powerful. A baby, adorable Yoda? That alone is worth two years of ST speculations. The possibilities are endless... and I don't think the movies could capture that feel. The Mandalorian being a movie would likely spoil the baby ahead of time by merchandisers planning to sell toys of that character on release, and the movie will either resolve the mystery of baby Yoda in that episode and leave it off on a sequel hook that may or may not happen. Movies have become very expensive investments that they can no longer afford to be innovative or daring unless they've made a lot of good will with the audience years past. Even the original Star Wars film knew it had to be a standalone film before looking into sequel possibilities.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  21. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Right. The series route, for a lot of future stuff it seems, will work better. You can explore a story longer and that's why I think a lot of shows, esp. based off books choose that route.

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If they were able to translate the same quality to a movie format, then yeah, it would have been popular. But who knows how it would have gone, lots of variables.

The more interesting question is- how will the Mando movie be received in the future? They will make a huge movie with the conclusion of the twisted together stories with the 2 additional spinoffs. I think it was a smart approach.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But then it wouldn't be exactly like the show. It would be a much more condensed story, more rushed character development, and with a very different pacing. All the things that make The Mandalorian what it is - except for some surface-level stuff like the lead's cool armor and the cute baby - would be lost.

Source?
    As far as I know, they've only said that they are making three shows that will come together in a big climax. I'm assuming that's either all within The Mandalorian, as a crossover event with all three shows telling a part of that climax, or as a separate limited series. I haven't heard anything about them making a movie.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Source? Dare you ask that?!?! The unflappable predictions of the soothsayer, Lee Nostradamus of course! Successful predictor of Jenkins being director. Successful prediction regarding the release of Disney info. The posts are time stamped, it is a fact!
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and Lee_ like this.