main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If you could SE-style changes of your own, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediVision, Aug 16, 2020.

1. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Wasn't the Empire Human-Centric?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    First of all, I loathe that the Special Editions have replaced the older versions. Heck, I even feel that way about The Phantom Menace. There's no modern way to view the theatrical 133 minute cut of The Phantom Menace. I would tolerate the changes far more if we got the original cuts.

But I'm not here to harp on that forever, so I'll bite.

IV
    -Work a few seconds or so of the Imperial March somewhere in the score for Vader
    V
    -Remove the Luke and Leia kiss
    -Make Palpatine's hologram look closer to his ROTJ appearance, change the dialogue back to the way it was originally.
    VI
    -Tease Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc

Heck, I'll even throw in some for the other two trilogies, since nowhere near as much has been changed there.
    I
    Fix the Mace Windu stand-in when Palpatine arrives on Naboo
    II
    -Show the Grievous is on Geonosis with the Separatists
    III
    -Reinstate the Rebel Alliance Padme subplot
    -Mention somehow that Ahsoka and Rex are on Mandalore, maybe even a brief hologram or audio message.
    -Add back in Yoda landing on Dagobah
    VII
    -Add in Snoke's dialogue from the novelization when Rey is standing over a defeated Kylo.
    -Change Kylo's scar to reflect the next two movies.
    VIII
    -Have Luke wield the green saber he made himself instead of the Skywalker lightsaber. Kylo should be far more angry about this saber, since it was the one he thought Luke was trying to kill him with. Rian's reasoning doesn't make much sense.
    -Tease Palpatine somehow, maybe his laugh coming from Exegol or a black screen.
    IX
    -Add in force ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, Qui-Gon and Luke when Rey channels all the Jedi and defeats Palpatine.

SlashMan likes this.
  3. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Did Leia know she was adopted?

4. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    In the broader canon, yes. Leia, Princess of Alderaan confirms it. In the films? It's never addressed.

5. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    I figure Obi-Wan called him "Darth" as a way to mock him, not seeing him as a real person but simply an agent of the Dark Side..

6. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Definitely redo TESB crawl to make it consistent with the crawl for ANH and ROTJ.
    Maybe a shot of the star destroyers landing on Hoth and deploying the AT AT walkers. I always thought it was jarring how we dont see them land on Hoth. Would also be a nice parallel to the Trade Federation ships deploying the TF tanks on Naboo in TPM.
    MAYBE change the stormtroopers voices to that of Temeura Morrison, although Im generally against prequel tying changes.

7. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    Ooh, this is a great idea for a thread.

I recently obtained the Despecialized Editions, which will probably be my preferred viewing for the original trilogy from now on. Still, a few of the SE changes I did think were genuine improvements (such as the re-added scene with Luke and Biggs reuniting in the hangar, the Cloud City landscape enhancements, etc.). It makes me wish that we could keep only the good changes while discarding the bad ones... which in turn makes me wish that there was some sort of pick-and-choose DVD menu feature that lets you toggle and customize which specific changes you'd want to keep.

Although I'll try and think of some more specific examples of things I'd change in each of the films.

Emperor Ferus and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the novelization of SW, Luke made two trench runs. First run, he used the targeting computer and missed the exhaust port, then skimmed across the Death Star surface, dodging around towers until he managed to shake Vader off his tail, before rejoining with Biggs and Wedge for the final run. I'd like to see that.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    -Add the B-Wings to the Battle of Endor, they had a much larger part originally.

-Get Steve Yedlin to do his magic to all the digital addons in the OT and the entirety of AOTC:
    https://www.studiodaily.com/2019/11/steve-yedlin-asc-controlling-look-knives-out/

-Make the holomaps Dooku and the rest are watching at the battle of Geonosis more zoomed out-it’s a huge battle, they’re in a strategic overview, and they’re zoomed on like, individual vehicles for some reason.

-Get Wingreens’ voice back in Boba. Before people go “But accent!” Fett is talking through a vocoder for all of his dialogue in TESB, there’s no reason he needs to sound like himself any more than Vader does.

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Restore and expand the Dagobah scene in ROTS so Yoda meets an old friend living in the hut, another of his species.

11. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Cool changes

12. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    For ANH:

1. When ObiWan was telling Luke about Darth Vader helping the empire, I would add a short darkened scene of maybe random Jedi being mowed down by Vader abd his many Stormtroopers

2. After The battle of Yavin as Han, Luke and Leia walk away with Chewbacca, the scene cuts to some hangar on Coruscant. In the background, workers are attending to his damaged Tie Fighter in the background. Vader appears and kneels before the emperor and starts to say how he is sorry the Death Star was lost, but Palpatinw begins to laugh. Vader is confused, but Palpatine says for him to rise, and let's talk. Palpatine reveals that while the Death Star was a formidable Weapon, it was no match for the force and he knew Tarkin was a fool to blow up Aldeeraan and not utilize the Death Star defenses to their full potential. He also reveals that this works to their advantage, as the galaxy is now are of just what the Empure is capable of. And with that, he makes Darth Vader the Supreme Commander of Imperial Forces..

13. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    I would change Obi Wan vs Darth Vader fight with the SC 38 reimagined.(And I would just remove the episode 3 dialogues from it.)

Because ANH has this problem of Vader not showing any hatred toward Obi Wan in that fight.(Since we know that Vader was not supposed to be Luke's father when Lucas made ANH)

Elle-Wan likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Vader was supposed to have been maimed by Obi-Wan though, even at the time. Star Wars Poster Monthly, and interviews of the time, mention it.

15. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    This always annoys me, but Obi-Wan can't call him Anakin there without completely spoiling the 'father' surprise that is otherwise intact if someone starts with ANH. Still calling someone "Darth" as though it's a first name sounds super weird (even though it was originally meant to be his actual first name). They could change Obi-Wan's line to be something like "you can't win, my old friend". It'd have the same implied familiarity without spoiling anything. Obi-Wan refers to Anakin as having been 'a good friend', but I think he also calls R2 'my little friend', and Luke 'my young friend' ...in the course of about 5 minutes. So it's consistent with how he talks.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  16. juicepouch

juicepouch Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2020
    I always headcanoned this as Obi-Wan kind of making fun of Vader, not even dignifying him by calling him a unique name, just treating him like he's another tool of the dark side.

17. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm not trying to say you can't like something, or what to like or dislike, so I apologize if that is how this comes off. But, that is horrible. Plain and simple. Just absurdly horrible. You don't need to have a long drawn out choreographed dance scene between them to infer Vader's hatred. If you want that, go watch ROTS again. In the duel on Mustafar, Vader's hatred for Obi-Wan wasn't shown in the duel itself, but in the dialog the preceded and succeeded the action. The action of the duel was to show how powerful each of them were, and that Vader, in his hubris, overestimated Obi-Wan's power, and his own power in comparison.

Speaking of the ROTS duel, Vader remembers what Obi-Wan did to him on Mustafar. So we see Vader being reserved in how he attacks Obi-Wan. Not knowing how powerful Vader has truly become, we see Obi-Wan being reserved in his actions in the duel. The way the scene is plays out much better, and adds layers of meaning to their relationship, or lack their of, instead of being a rage fest to satisfy someone's force boner. Not to mention it's completely out of character for how both characters are portrayed at this point in their lives, and makes Obi-Wan look feeble and inept. To do something like this also changes the meaning of the end of the duel when Obi-Wan surrenders himself. As it is, Obi-Wan's surrender does two things, it allows Luke, Han, and Leia time to escape, but it's also so he can set Luke upon his own path of becoming a Jedi. With this scene, it makes Obi-Wan's surrender at the end look as if he's giving in because he cannot take anymore from Vader, which is out of character for Obi-Wan. It takes any meaning out of the subtlety of Obi-Wan's actions, and makes him a prop for badass Vader action. Characters aside, that scene is completely tonally inconsistent with the rest of the movie, as well.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That Vader Obi Wan fight made me laugh. Looks like Battlefront cut scene footage. [face_rofl] Could it be any more over the top? (I'm not being mean either just teasing)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    DarthBoba and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  19. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Their conversation on Mustafar, both on the platform and the lava bank, is Obi-Wan telling Anakin he believes there is still good in him, even if Obi-Wan doesn't expressly state that exact line. It's also shown in Obi-Wan not being able to deal the final death blow to his friend.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  20. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    On a side note I hope they will include Dash Rendar in the Mandalorian or even the Lando series. But to incorporate Dash, they could have added a line at the end of Empire about hiring Dash to located Boba.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Instead of tiny superlasers in TROS, World Devastators. If we’re shaking out the Dark Empire box we might as well grab its coolest thing.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Darth always has been a forename. That has never changed.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  23. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I guess I would do nothing since it´s not my right to change the artist´s work.

Alexrd likes this.
  24. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    That's doesn't really makes sense, but fair enough. Darth Vader was meant to be some dude's name at first. Then Darth became a title for the Sith lords.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Darth became the first name for the Sith, not the title. The title of the Sith was Lord.

That was reiterated in the script of Attack of the Clones:

"With the forename Darth, a Sith he must be." - Yoda

It was always a name.