main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If you feel jaded, how can IX make you fall in love with Star Wars again?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jun 4, 2018.

1. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Saw it listed on Netflix not too long ago and decided to watch it out of curiosity. It had it's moments but overall, I found it to be a rather forgettable entry in an already dying franchise.

ami-padme likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The topic is not that you're jaded. The topic is a productive discussion of what Episode IX could potentially do to alleviate that.

3. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

11-4D likes this.
  4. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    It's definitely the second best Disney SW Movie after Rogue One and it is a lot of fun.

5. The Sequels have done a lot of damage to my love for Star Wars

I doubt that a movie of two hours with characters that i dont care me makes me fall in love with Star Wars again

If they make a trilogy of the Old Republic like the KOTOR games maybe I would like Star Wars again
    But since Disney owns the saga I do not have any illusions

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
    ChildOfWinds and lookameatbag like this.
  6. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    It's unfair to demand one movie fix everything, but I'll feel more confident in Disney-LFL's leadership if some quality time and thought is put into Star Wars lore and world building.

If you think about it, many of us who are unhappy with TLJ don't really have a problem with subversion in general. I just think TLJ was the wrong place and time for it -- why is Luke Skywalker a character who needs subversion and deconstruction? He was already subversive and deconstructed the typical violent action hero in Episode 6. Why subvert that? If any character in Star Wars needed subversion and deconstruction, it was Han Solo. The male scoundrel archetype has all sorts of distasteful aspects to it; that's the kind of thing you deconstruct, not a hero who uses love to change people's hearts.

So what Episode 9 needs is more world building, in regards to the Force, Force users, and the possibilities of successful democracy.

Sure, "fixing" Luke would be nice, but I think this will take a number of books and a TV show. Making him some kind of amazing Jedi in Episode 9 just feels contrived, mostly due to lack of time and context.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    IX needs to market like a well polished politician. Give hints of what they think most people want. More Luke, KOR, more answers to Rey and Kylo, Not saying these are those things people want, but just giving examples. Tempt people into "change" just like a politician does. They have to sell it as THE movie fans and audiences want. And, to keep that jaded feeling from coming back immediately, actually DELIVER (unlike the said politicians).

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  8. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    A key to doing this type of marketing might well involve them producing content that does not divide the fan base. Knowing that some people are really banking on Luke having a strong role yet also knowing many want this to be about Rey and Kylo is a challenge indeed. Then there is Leia, I think they need to be careful to include something for everyone here.