main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I haven't read most of the new stuff in this thread. Nor do I necessarily intend to. I will say, though, that Hancock was a terrible movie. One of the worst in the Will Smith collection. In terms of overall presentation, I suppose it's a little more coherent and functional than Wild Wild West. But unlike that movie, the actual plot and characters leave one with little to nothing to care for or remember in positive fashion after the fact.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Call it terrible...one more time.

Sent from my Samsung Mega Astromech Droid

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    A Will Smith film, terrible?

NO.

Darth_Invidious and Penguinator like this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I believe the phrase you're looking for is

Aw, hell naw!

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Aw hell, you ninja'd me. :p

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Did Jabba really just call a WIll Smith film terrible? [face_laugh] :p

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked Hancock a lot actually. Mainly it was because Will Smith throws aside his likeable persona to play a self-loathing bastard.

Oh god I'm turning into Wocky.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    There are plenty of great Smith films where he submerges himself completely in the role. Consider his serious output like Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, and Seven Pounds. All those people were pretty profoundly different than the man Will Smith is (or at least often plays) and there was never a moment where one intruded on the other. I don't remember if Hancock achieves anything like this or not. But if it does, it is at best a low-rent rendition in service of an even more low-life story. There are much better versions of what you are seeking.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Dark Knight is a masterpiece. It's not that I don't like brooding, dark takes on comic characters. I just feel that Man of Steel collapses under the weight of it's own desperate mythos building and symbolism and pretensions to being great art. I admit it's somewhat subjective. It's often hard to explain why a movie doesn't work for you, which is why these debate threads often just go on and on in circles. I just wasn't entertained watching Man of Steel, I was often annoyed and I, ultimately, just didn't feel even the slightest emotional connection to anyone except Jonathan Kent, who was, I thought, very well-written and masterfully acted. It just failed to connect on that emotional level.

Though I do call BS on Jor-El in the movie. That was just objectively bad writing, the way they used him.

EDIT: I do wish Ali had been a better movie. Smith was totally committed, but unfortunately the script and maybe Mann's direction let him down. It was far too meandering and never focused on anything long enough for us to really build an emotional connection. I mean, he wasn't Best Actor worthy or anything, but he was good. But the movie is pretty bad.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I still love Man of Steel and think it to be one of the best films of 2013. I don't know why.

CuppaJoe and Darkslayer like this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The only reason I ask is that MoS reminds me of Batman Begins, in terms of being a fair earnest first chapter that more or less establishes the rules of the sandbox so that in the second act, you can get straight into the story. I would love to see that happen with MOS2/SvB/JLA or whatever it is; BB is better once you have TDK (let's not talk about the abortive mess of Rises) and hopefully MoS will be the same.

EDIT: @Internuts, I do too, and I think it's a really good fusion of classical Superman imagery and a modern update for modern audiences.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Ender Sai, that's fair. I also thought Batman Begins was kind of a disappointment. I mean, it was fine and occasionally really good, but it was more admirable than great. And I do still hold out hope for MoS 2. It could very well be a really good movie. Heck, thinking of TDK it could be a great one. That happens with sequels sometimes. And there was a fair amount of criticism about elements of MoS that I could see the filmmakers actually considering and trying to fix. I mean, who knows if they heard any of it, but it could happen. But, yeah, I'm not writing off MoS2 or whatever just based on how much I disliked the first one. We'll just see what happens.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I kind of hope the amount of damage Metropolis suffers - which strikes me as consistent with the levels of power we're dealing with in Zod and Kal - is a focal point for Luthor's campaign, so it's not just lol special effects lololol.

14. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I think it will be, its a tool Lex has that can legitimately challenge Superman, especially since the audience (us) agrees with Lex. I think we will see a Lex that is loved by the public which makes Superman's job that much harder trying to prove hes an enemy.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Isn't Bruce Wayne going to be working with Lex as well (publicly at least)? The 3-way dynamic there between Cavill, Affleck, and Eisenberg will be pretty cool to see.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's the rumor, but anything can change if it hasn't already.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I heard some goofy rumor that Eisenberg was going to be covered in tattoos for the movie.

18. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I hope that's what that is, rumor.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I heard some rumor that Superman was going to be some morose weirdo who murdered someone after killing tens of thousands of people in a city he was supposed to protect.

Oh, wait.

Kenneth Morgan and dp4m like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Superman? More like Passive Aggressiveman.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    This schtick of yours is getting old...

22. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I cause less casualties and destruction in the entire length of the super hero video game Infamous, than Superman does in Man of Steel. And you're free to do whatever you want in that game! Clark is not even trying. [face_talk_hand]

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    FTFY

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Man of Steel was easily better than Spiderman 2. Easily. And seriously.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I disagree, I think Donkey Kong was the greatest video game of all time. And Spider-Man 2 was better than Man of Steel...

Violent Violet Menace likes this.