main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If you were a fan in the 1980s, who did you think the villains of the sequel trilogy would be?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Mar 12, 2020.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    For whatever reason SW fever seemed to die down after ROTJ. Maybe fatigue from all the hype. In the 90s it started building again with the PT announcement and the SE in theatres.

Dandelo and darthfettus2015 like this.
  2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Lucas lost half of his fortune in his divorce. LFL wasn't in the position to create a lot of content (Star Wars or otherwise) for a number of years. Without new content, Star Wars sort of went away for a few years.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    2Cleva and christophero30 like this.
  3. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Neither did I. As a kid it was like, there's 3 movies. That's it. And that was perfect at the time.

Palp_Faction and christophero30 like this.
  4. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Exactly. SW was dormant until about 1991 when Heir to the Empire and Dark Empire were released.

5. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I think its pretty obvious who I thought was a very interesting villain to continue the SW story after ROTJ (keeps looking from the avatar to the text and back for like 30 seconds). Later Jedi Knight came along, and with it came Jerec, who was a personification of everything I thought could make an interesting villain to keep things moving in the GFFA. I always saw the end of Palpatine like the opposite of the end of evil in Star Wars: in reality, plenty of pretty bad men and women that were bidding their time during the Empire of the Sith could now grab the power they've always dream of. Jerec, Tremayne, Lumiya, Blackhole, Hethrir... that those creepy dark siders began crawling their way up to power in the EU´s post-Endor era made perfect sense to me...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That's a good point.
    I was VERY young in the eighties and didn't reflect much on Star Wars, if at all, beyond the existing trilogy. That story was all there was to it, really.
    But IF I had started thinking about the aftermath of the war and possible sequels, I probably would've assumed that there would be completely new villains. Similar to Vader and the Emperor perhaps, maybe even old acquaintances/allies/rivals, but otherwise unrelated.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  7. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    After ROTJ I was just hoping for many years that new Star Wars films would be made and afterwards was happy enough with a Prequel Trilogy being made, then years later the announcement of a Sequel Trilogy which I thought as much as I wanted more Star Wars at the time would probably not be made .Though I didnt suspect after ROTJ that Palpatine would return in the sequels if they were made as of 1983 I thought his death was final.

8. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    Another apprentice of the Emperor.Or Vader.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Pre ST I thought:

Criminal Warlord takes control in the power vacuum.
    Imperial Remnant rises from the ashes, all scrappy like the rebels were.
    Invasion from some alien/horde/barbarians outside the galaxy.
    Ancient Sith/Darksider
    Mandalorians

10. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    No, it was because it's the only good Star Wars film since Jedi! [face_not_talking]

Sarge likes this.
  11. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I thought the villain would be a dark-side force user (not a Sith, as Anakin had destroyed the Sith). Maybe a cult based around Palpatine/Vader or a previously hidden threat from the unknown regions.

After TFA, I thought Snoke was just that. A hitherto unknown dark-sider from the back of beyond (I also believe that was the original intention). The character design was a little boring (another shrivelled old guy in a robe), but there was potential.

whostheBossk and Sarge like this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I do think a cult centered around Vader (which the ST gave a bit of playing with Kylo worshipping Vader's helmet) would have been interesting. That even Anakin Skywalker's choices/actions years after his death had created a revolutionary movement of those that see Vader as a mythic figure.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    And, aside from that, it would be an interesting meta-textual reference to his popularity.

Dannik Jerriko, Sarge and Deliveranze like this.
  14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I was thinking the exact same thing. In how the fandom sees Vader as this iconography of power but choose to ignore the human aspect of Vader (whether its his redemption in ROTJ and the reveal of him being a pathetic old man, to his entire recontextualization into a tragic character in Episodes I, II, III).

It thematically keeps in line with Anakin's story being the big overarching story in I-VI (of course, if Anakin's spirit himself actually has some appearance and involvement)

On a side note, a book about Anakin's spirit having to face trials and tribulations in the spirit realm of the Force after ROTJ would be so interesting and a great character study of facing and living up to the guilt of one's actions and the challenges of redemption. That would be a dream book.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    New dark siders of *some* sort was naturally assumed by everyone; whether they were Vader-trained villains like Lumiya, or similar-but different new cults like the Inquisitors and Dark Jedi.

Ithorians likes this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    They could have easily had a few of Luke's students follow Ben when he fell to the dark side, and then decided to pursue their own dark side Order. Something new. The Knights of Ren. Then pair them with the few of Luke's students who survived the attack.

The ST was so close, but so far away.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I didn't think there would be new movies. Lucas seemed done with them, except for the odd Ewok like TV spin off which weren't very good. I figured books and video games would carry the torch.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    jaimestarr and CampOfSorgan like this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Lucas was planning to do 7,8 and 9 before he sold to Disney. Iger heard about it and convinced George to sell to them.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Han and Leia's son Ken and his evil dark lord mentor, Lord Snake.

20. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Is this what happened? After Revenge of the Sith Lucas was adamant that the SW films were DONE. It wasn't until the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney that we found out Lucas had a 7,8,9. It seems like revisionist history on top of revisionist history.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When ESB came out in 1980, GL talked about his long-range plans. He wanted to finish the OT, then make the PT, and eventually an ST that would be about rebuilding the Republic. That was in the TIME magazine ESB review in 1980.

CampOfSorgan and Darth PJ like this.
  22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think it'd be fair to say that Lucas on the one hand was acutely aware of how much potential the world, characters, and story had for expansion, but was also wary and somewhat scared of the sheer titanic amount of time and effort he'd demand of himself to do it right.

And I think the warring compulsions there, and his very flexible POV of what the story would be, should be, always was, etc., meant that the situation was always flexible between Trilogies, until he actually got down to work on it. And after the OT and PT, sitting down and starting the ST triggered another fear in his mind - of not being able to finish, or of the OT cast not being able to.

That's when his initial plans for the St merged with the idea of selling to Disney.

FightoftheForgotten and Sarge like this.
  23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I honestly never thought in the 80's that an ST was even possible. My dad had thoroughly convinced me that there was nowhere left to go with the story, because the emperor and Darth Vader were both dead and that if they ever made more, it would be the first three chapters. This was substantiated for a long time by GL, so it never even entered my mind to consider a possible villain until I was older. And even then, I think I focused more on what the premise might be than who the possible antagonist(s) might be.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

CampOfSorgan and Fin McCool like this.
  24. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    None. The story had concluded. Here I was, a 7 year old kid sitting in the theater, having just watched the evil Emperor's demise and Darth Vader turn good,* and it's probably my first experience with catharsis. Villains? They're gone. That was it. There was no "Skywalker saga" or similar marketing. Luke would pass on what he learned to Leia, maybe to others too, and everyone would be happy.

* In my experience, kids in 1983 spoke in terms of Luke succeeding in turning his bad dad good, not the redemption/resurrection of Anakin Skywalker as a separate personality. Stated differently, this was the culmination of Luke's training and status as a Jedi, not the restoration of some Chosen One (who in 1983 terms was little more than a valiant warrior from long ago-turned-pleasant looking old ghost guy).

25. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Like others i didnt believe there would be 3 new films based on the Skywalker saga specifically. Once that became a possibility i did hope for offspring of some kind. It seemed logical from the Solo side but i must admit i was hoping for a little Luke or a daughter of his.

CampOfSorgan likes this.