main
side
curve

If You're Staying at the Hotel Figueroa, Post Here!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Smooth one!

It was really funny when that guy was asking one of the attendees why he didn't play Galaxies and he started telling this long story about how he worked 60 hours a week and didn't have time. I would have said "because Galaxies sucks."

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Lol, we just walked in, no questions asked.

Hanging out at the Fig pool/bar area was awesome. They knew how to make our drinks and there was plenty of places to drag our tables over and sit. Maybe next year if it's not do damn cold in So Cal we'll try out the pool!

3. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    My wife and I enjoyed staying at the Fig. It was definitely something different from your conventional Holiday Inn's and Marriott's. We met Uno on Friday afternoon, and he was a pleasure to talk to. The room (while poorly lit and not much shower water pressure) was nice and the pool area was awesome.

Throw in a quick 5 minute walk to the LACC and a very good room rate, and we give the Fig two thumbs up.

5. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    You had bad water pressure? What floor were you on? We were on 7 and our water was so strong, it was almost painful! Didn't like that or the lighting either. I liked the hotel over all, but I'd prefer a more modern hotel and it's ammenities.

JF

6. Darth_Nevoc

Darth_Nevoc Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2004
    We had great water pressure but after 5 minutes we were shin deep in water. It didn't drain nearly enough for my preferred long showers. Its no fun standing shin deep in your own filth.

7. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    I liked the Fig. I am putting together my tripadvisor.com review. Here it is...

[blockquote]The Hotel Figueroa is not your average hotel. It is not "above average", but is best described as "unique". The lobby area was very exotic. Great place with comfy chairs to talk to others and chill out after a long day. Ala-carte breakfast was pretty decent. Coffee was very good! Dinner was not too impressive - very limited menu, but La Bella Cucina next door and the Panty Cafe a short walk away more than makes up for it. The bar and pool area was fantastic! Very exotic, very hip, and the highlight of our stay! Our room, Number 401, was very small with two twin beds. No alarm clock or coffee maker, but lots of charm! Beds were very comfortable and the place was very clean. Bathroom was very small and had no vent or fan. Room got pretty steamy after a shower. Staff was very professional and helpful. Short walk to the convention center. All and all, a decent hotel - but do not expect the level of comfort most Americans now expect even from your typical discount motel chain. If you want your hotel to have a lot of character, then this is the place for you! [/blockquote]

My only regret is that I did not meet many TFN folk (although the ones I did run into were awesome to meet!) I wore my TFN badge (and my light-up badge) on my tote bag as not to take away from my Jedi costume during the day. At night (in the Fig bar) I would wear my black Leia-with-an-attitude baby doll t-shirt. Still, I had a blast and cannot wait for C5.

8. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah, we were on the 5th floor. I'm not sure if the actual shower head had anything to do with the loss of water pressure. One other annoyance was that we didn't have a carpet in our room - it was a bare painted concrete floor (good thing we packed our sandals and slippers). Minor inconveniences, but we made do.

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Breezy and I were on the 12th Floor. the water pressure was weak. I thought the hotel was very unique as well. It was a nice walk to the convention center.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I didn't think the pressure was too bad (I was on the 12th too). Was a little bummed that the showers were so small though.

11. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000
    Water pressure in our room (fourth floor) was fine, if not a little too brutal! Win some, lose some!

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    The reason I'd really like to book teh Fig if C5 is also in LA is it had a lot of character, for all its flaws. I stayed in the Sheraton, which was fine, but it was just your typical bland business hotel. You don't even know where you're staying when you wake up in the morning because the entire chain consists of identical hotels across the world. I'm not sure the Fig immediately screams LA, but it definitely makes me think of something other than "here we are at yet another Marriott..."

13. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    We were on the 12th floor as well, water pressure sucked and the shower head was too low, but I could deal with that.

I was curious, was the fat naked lady picture in every room? She was the first thing I saw when I woke up each morning, and it was a bit unnerving.

Also, did anyone have an alarm clock in their room? I thought it was funny that our room had a fridge but no alarm. Thank God cell phones have an alarm, because there is no way I would have been able to wake up on my own at 3:30am every morning after going to bed at midnight every night.

14. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000
    No pictures of fat naked ladies in our room; we had iron crosses adorning the walls.

We had no alarm clock, but the front desk's wake up calls were very reliable, plus we had our cell phones - as you mentioned. We did have a fridge and once we found the soda machine (in the basement at the bottom of the stair behind a curtain) it came in handy.

Looks like you also survived on 3 or so hours of sleep a night! I am still recovering from that - that and the awesome appletini's the Fig served!

For all its flaws, I would love to back there right now!

15. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Hey Lufta....

Glad you had a good time, wished we could have met, things were so hectic!!!

I did not get a chance to wander over to your side of the ocean, the kids were driving me nuts. I dont think, for the age of my kids, that a Con was a good idea, win some, loose some..lol.

I loved the video you set up, it was very good to at least see what everyone was talking about!!!

Maybe we can swap email addys and I can send you some of my pics from the Con of the family. My son was quite the scene stealer in his x-wing costume. That little costume I constructed made us late for alot of shows...lol.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I set foot in three different rooms (Josh's, Matt's, and Dajuan and Doug's), and I can assure you they did not all have topless women pictures. Though some did. :p

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 28, 2006
    the Figueroa had topless women? Know where I'm staying next time then.

18. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Someone's being naughty...lol.

19. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000
    Amidala,

Yes, it is too bad we did not meet!

Glad you like the video I found - I just typed in "Hotel Figueroa" into YouTube to find it. No big deal, but a good find.

Hey, I took a picture of a kid in a x-wing costume - perhaps it was your son!

I know what you mean about being late for things due to costumes and photos. I was in my Jedi costume and my SW buddy was in her fire-side Padme costume and we were stopped a lot! (I know it was really her costume that got all of the attention! :p) I have no complaints though! I loved posing for photos! It was so much fun!

:* Lufta Shif

20. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    From what I understand the fat naked lady picture was in the lobby area as well. I guess they got a deal on multiple pictures.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, there was lots of stuff in the lobby. Obi Anne told us the Swedish coat of arms was hanging out there too. :p

I swear, if I ever buy a house and am free to make whatever changes I want, I'm going to decorate it like the Fig. Walls will all be painted bright red and black and blue and I'll fill it with haunted house furniture like KW's room had. :p

22. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Don't forget to hang Rosebud above the mantle.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I would love to stay at the Fig next time, I think I was there almost as much as in my own hotel room. And yes, seeing the Swedish Coat of Arms painted on one of the walls was just crazy, especially since it was very late ;) when I discovered it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.