main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Err...I think most people here don't fit that description, especially since at least half of the regular posters I see on the forum are women. And "like to look at women in catsuits" is not a definition of being a geek or member of a fandom. See, for example, the significant criticism among the fan community, both men and women, of "the catsuit" artists often depict Mara Jade in.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Geeks. With vaginas. Why.

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    So did I at first, but it's getting pretty tiring, and he is distracting from actual interesting conversations that could be going on. Also he is getting pretty insulting towards "geeks" and keeps bringing out all these stereotypes.

I checked http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rules-of-the-jedi-council-forums.27141421/]rules[/url], and he is violating at least these two rules under Posting Rules and Regulations:

2. No spamming threads. If have nothing to contribute with your post, please find another thread.

6. Baiting or intentionally stirring up other users isn't allowed.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi. I don't like breaking out the bold mod text, but here we go -- if you have an issue with a user, please PM a moderator. Do not derail a thread by asking for a person to be banned, because you're probably doing more harm to the thread than the person who you think is trolling it.

I will not be taking action against Erik_B at this time. If he's guilty of anything, it's of having a repugnant, troglodytic opinion. That's not ban-worthy.

5. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    I would submit that the existence of this thread kind of suggests that a lot of geeks are dorky losers who really enjoy looking at pictures of redheads in catsuits. I know I am, for instance.

So, should I, for instance, stop being a dorky loser. Well, I have kind of tried that over the years, and I've never been enormously successful at it, and even trying tends to make me miserable.

Maybe I should stop enjoying looking at pictures of redheads in catsuits? Again, if I could I would have done it long ago. Anyway, I like looking at pictures of redheads in catsuits.

I guess I could try and find some sort of club where dorky losers who like looking at pictures of redheads in catsuits hang out. Anyone know one?

6. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Reddit?

Contessa, krtmd, blackmyron and 6 others like this.
  7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007

I don't know why but I laughed out loud at this one:

darth fluffy and CooperTFN like this.
  8. Erik_B

Feb 11, 2014
    Indeed. You ain't gonna wipe it out. Just drive it underground.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    We could all just agree to ignore him together.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    erik how old are you? jw

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Everyone knows it's not technically cheating if it's non-canonical.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You lot do know there's an Ignore button, don't you? Can't say I've used it often, but....

I have a little list,
    I have a little list,
    of individuals I don't miss,
    I have a little list

JediMara77 likes this.
  13. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006

Dawww <3

Wanna podcast and talk about diversity and misogyny in fandom this weekend?

krtmd and erier2003 like this.
  14. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

[​IMG]

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    For the last time, keep your biracial romance out of my Diversity Thread.

Lane_Winree likes this.
  16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Understood. Sorry about that.

18. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
  19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    To be fair, "crass, offensive, and ill-considered" doesn't sound like it's putting the blame on the people who were offended.

Contessa likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Sorry, the "apology" was overwhelmed by a much longer defense of the non-joking "breast" article.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I also love how it took an article on breasts to get that age appropriate warning up. As if graphic images of a man burning to near-death or a man screaming as he's sliced vertically in half by a lightsaber weren't bad enough on their own. o_O

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    jSarek, TrakNar, what exactly would it take at this point to get the breast article merged or deleted? I can't see how that would happen at this point, but I don't see anything less making people change their minds here.

23. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

I think you're misreading it.

They call out the AFD version as crass, offensive, and ill-considered and call it out in no uncertain terms. However, the second to last paragraph where it says some people will be offended is about the regular version of the article that is simple about breasts.

All in all it's a pretty excellent statement that takes responsibility, explains why it happened and the initial response, and lets people know that this isn't something that one person controls but that they are serious about not being seen in a negative light.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  24. Erik_B

Feb 11, 2014

You know that bit in Django Unchained where all the German has do do is shake Leonardo DeCaprios hand and walk away, and instead he shoots him and then says 'sorry, I couldn't resist it?', and gets himself killed in return and condemns Django and his wife to a fate worse than death, and no one can say he was wrong to do it?

I always think of that when someone tries to make someone apologize for something they clearly ain't sorry they did.

Would you preferred they lied to you more or less? Pretend they really regret doing it or admit they hoped it would wind you up and that you should go **** yourself more?

--

I am 35. I was just out on my evening run. I go after dark because when I started running a decade and a half ago I was to embarrassed by the thought that someone might see me running and think that their taking the piss out of me for being fat really got to me, and so would take the piss out of me more to do it during the day. Now it is just a habit. Admittedly I have been slacking off in the last couple of years, as the thought that someone might be able to say I was fat doesn't horrify me as much as it used to. But I was just out running along minding my own business and a car full of lad drove past, and they shouted "Ah look at that guy Ha Ha Ha" and honked their horn and sped off. Still hurts. #everydaynerdshaming

I have actual letters from the guy they sent me to to assess if I had "Aspergers Syndrome" to my GP saying that I have "Aspergers Syndrome". I still think it is just a severe case of being a geek though.

Seriously, how much of peoples issues can be summed up as "geeks are a bunch of dorky losers who seem to really enjoy looking at pictures of redheads in catsuits"? Because, that's kind of what I get from threads like this, and I really think there is going to be a big constituency of geeks for whom 1: They know, and would appreciate if you could stop rubbing it in and 2: If they could do anything about it they would have done it by now.

25. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Which I agree with in theoretical terms. I personally do want it gone, but that's because I think all of the body part articles are silly and unnecessary. "Breast" is no more inherently indefensible then "arm".