main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Anyone reading Lando’s Luck? Hynestia is a matriarchal monarchy ruled by a dark-skinned badass queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just tweeted about this. I've never felt more connected on a personal level to a Frigosian than that guy. He just wants his floors clean and people not to mess them up. He's welcome at my house any day.

--Adm. Nick

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You say that as if we never had see one before
    [​IMG]

DarthJaceus likes this.
  4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's true! But generally we get lots of thin Rodians in vests.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh damn, didn't even realize that was out.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Same, to amazon

Jedi Princess likes this.
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    So we're all kicking around possible cameos in the CASSIAN series from characters whose actors are still of the right age and it naturally follows that in some cases REBELS and TCW voice actors could appear as their characters onscreen (i.e. Vanessa Marshall in makeup as Hera) while others are not really the correct age, or whatever. Interestingly it strikes me that David Oyelowo could appear in live action as Kallus and give a more consonant-beween-appearances performance as the character than, say, Matt Lanter suddenly appearing as a live action Anakin, despite Kallus and Oyelowo being white and black, respectively.

As a fan of the character and Oyelowo's performance, and the character being someone not unlikely to tangle with Cassian in this timeframe, that sounds cool to me and would actually keep me "in universe" better than recasting Kallus with a white actor. Basically, the "differences between mediums" thing makes this okay and even kind of desirable, whereas, say, suddenly making Han be Asian would be a little bizarre. Wondering if that's everyone else's take as well.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If nothing else, I'm inclined to be supportive of that idea just to spite Wookieepedia. :p

9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    If nothing else get David in there for a voice cameo in a few episodes. Depends on when this takes place. You could even do something interesting with him tracking Cassian on one of his missions but since he a spy neither ever sees one another. Though I am totally ok with him portraying himself irl

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't see it happening, just like I don't see Tiya Sircar playing Sabine in The Mandalorian--though in both cases there's at least some potential to use their voices without seeing the character. That said, there did come a point around season two of Rebels where they seem to have suddenly become way more conscious of this possibility. That might or might not mean specific plans were afoot, but at the very least I think it's something that's much more on the table than we tend to think.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That's kinda neat. And it seems a bit the case with RESISTANCE too, particularly with Kaz's design.

Interesting that you mention Tiya -- in my "IRL visualization" of Sabine she's of a different ethnicity from Tiya (the character design reads as more east Asian to me) but as with Kallus I wouldn't mind... I would want the character to remain Asian in some sense though.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Is it cultural appropriation for a human to celebrate Life Day?

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Hmm, I mean the only time we have seen that was when Chewie's family brought everyone along with them. I feel like it is more like when someone invites a person of a different religion to their church. Like my sister is Catholic, but occasionally goes to temple with her friend cause she is interested.

15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Actually, the later EU was replete with non-Wookiee celebrating Life Day. Remember SW Galaxies and SWTOR?

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    So was Life Day not just a Wookiee Holiday, but it's just that Chewie was the only one with a family?

CooperTFN and vncredleader like this.
  17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So depressing confession time, I never got the chance to play Galaxies. :_|:_|:_|

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Think of Christmas. In its current, popular form, it has very little to do with Christianism (pagan trees decorated with lights; deformed, morbidly obese Saint Nicholas assisted in his tasks by pagan sprites). Many non-Christian celebrate Christmas culturally. I assume Life Day went the same way.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    It makes one wonder if all these life day elements come from different places. Like what was GFFA Saturnalia like?

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we actually know that? To my understanding to are all the page origins of Christmases trees only theories and the origin we have proof of are from the Christian era

21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    This video, by one of my favorite channels, does a great summary of the theories, and cultural evolution of the holiday.

MercenaryAce and Ghost like this.
  22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This year's diversity numbers are up. TL;DR: With only three original novels compared to two films and the final season of Rebels, visual media has never been a bigger part of SW and with Disney+ next year that's probably the new normal. Solo and TLJ both managed to be distinct improvements on TFA/RO both diversity- and parity-wise even if certain specific characters were, um, imperfect. Last Shot scored an impressive 79 on diversity but the books were pretty typical otherwise. No scores for Resistance yet but it's looking very, very good.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  25. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I noticed a homosexual alien mentioned on page 108 of the book Propoganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy by Pablo Hidalgo.

The excerpt goes as follows:
    "Tantagru Motts-Danel - A sandscribe from a Tarnab colony on Sriluur, Tantagru Motts-Danel and his Weequay husband, Gajuni Motts-Danel, were a notable couple in the corporate art scene, specializing in holography and abstract art"

So not only is it a gay character, I believe he is a Tarnab (though I admit this is not explicitly mentioned) that is coupled with a Weequay! Some cross-species love going on here. I thought that was pretty cool on Mr. Hidalgo's part.