main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not to my knowledge.

And I have to admit that if I had that kind of power would I probably introduce somebody with physical disability (of the don't-need-a-wheelchair-kind) since I have a friend who has and she wants some more representation among superheroes.

Have to ask, why did you think of me regarding those two?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I kinda put some dots together. You made a post earlier about your story ASSEMBLE!, and I saw @QueerlyNerd mention that the characters were created by @kibblesmith and @LucianoVecchio, who I assumed was you due to a post on that twitter feed also talking about ASSEMBLE!

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sadly no. I'm nothing like that good or productive. I just like charing stuff I think other would like, and I happen to follow Luciano Vecchio on DeviantArt and he posted that page and I thought this thread would like .

Outsourced likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I tend to agree with a lot of the criticism. Which I hate, since I really like seeing representation of marginalized people in comics. But... c'mon. A cis white guy makes a black NB character literally called 'snowflake' with just an absolutely awful design? It's especially frustrating when random people on twitter can make their own infinitely better versions:

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, the first person I saw mention it said the book sounded like a right-wing bigot's shallow parody, which... Yeah. "Snowflake" and "Safespace"? Seriously?

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I guess it's a step up from a couple years back when Nick Spencer used woke buzzwords for a team of villains.

8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Holy ****.

[​IMG]

9. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Yeah, somehow I think I'll stick with DC's Bombshells instead...

vncredleader and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, it comes down to whether you'd have an earnest attempt done poorly or a parody... also done poorly.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Looks about as tastefully executed as I'd expect from the ground-blazing creator of Nazi Cap. :rolleyes:

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Like, yeah. I don't know why what I'm looking at is offensive, or whom it's trying to offend, but I'm pretty offended, and not being able to tell is a primary offense.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I saw a discussion about them on Scans_Daily that felt overall level headed.

Some of the points that was put up was: * that the original New Warriors was really as cringe worthy regarding their names when first introduced, so it could be a reference to that.
    * That the creators, Daniel Kibblesmith and Luciano Vecchio, is a comedian and writer (Who wrote "Santa's Husband" and for Stephen Colbert), respectively an openly out gay Argentinian man - so it's likely that they are aware of the spaces they risk encroaching into.
    * There was also lots of "this will date fast", and "How Do You Do, Fellow Kids: The Comic" style comments

the discussion I refer to happened here https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/8755042.html#comments

Also do people still do stuff ironicly? I thought that went out of style with the last decade*

* [wrote he like he had any understanding of those kind of things]

Can't really call those "infinitely better versions", or even better, they are just different - not really better or worse.

Also, Luciano Vecchio ain't white by USA standard since he's from Argentina.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Huh? USA standard? He is a white Argentine.

vncredleader and Daneira like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding so do Latinos not count as white in USA, no matter their skin/hair colour. Or is have I understood it wrong?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, there is an attempt to distinguish them from Caucasian whites, such as White (Non Hispanic), at least from what I've seen on some forms.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Gamiel at this point I just wouldn't bother trying to make sense of racial classifications from the US. There's a million little factors that make half the classifications both and right and wrong at the same time; it's just a ton of nuance that no one person can ever grasp.

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    If you're descended mainly from the European settlers, you're white. If you're descended mainly from the indigenous people, you're not. Like how Native Americans aren't white but the larger US population of European settlers are. It's the same thing.

19. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I suppose you could present it back to back with Zootopia but the way some 'reviewers' on Amazon were complaining that Song of the South (or The Incredibles in one case) isn't on the Animated Disney Classic Blu-ray set, conveniently not having a problem with the absence of Mary Poppins or Pete's Dragon and the like, the negatives of people having easier access to it far outweigh the, well, not positives. Good intentions, I guess?

20. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Tsk, tsk.

Are fans sure they want this woman playing a beloved character like Ahsoka?

21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    no thats not how it works spain is in europe

There are places in Mexico where people did not interbreed with nativos and it gets more typical the further down you go by south America Braliz itself has more whites then the US (Granted not latinos by their own claims Portuguese get touchy when you group them with spainards)

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait why the heck are we back on this topic? We had like 3 pages of discourse in which I cited everything under the sun. Is that not good enough? As I concluded last time, the VAST majority of at least Americans from south american countries view their direct national heritage as what they identify as and not "latino".

And yeah Brazil's racial divisions make it interesting, but more or less they are arguably Latino but NOT Hispanic. But Latino and Latina are really more of a generic term and not as often strictly used to mean "comes from a country with a romance language in the americas. Then again the distinction works well cause it also covers French Guiana since they are americans who speak a romance language.

So the term broadly can apply to anyone including whites in those regions cause it is not like calling someone an african american, whose family is Afrikaner and moved after apartheid. Like yeah that doesn't apply, but that is not the situation with Brazil or Venezuela in which there are more segregated communities.

End of the day someone 100% can be a white Argentinian. It is not just genetics but who is passing. Even if they have some native or african blood, if they are majority hispanic or Portuguese they are white, and of course culture can push someone to one side or the other.

Our conventions are weird, but I don't even think this falls into that. This is easy to understand when one is familiar with the inequality, discrimination, history, and social structure of these countries.

One need only look at the divide of who is marching with Chavez and who is marching against just at a glance. There are PLENTY of people in south america who consider themselves white, look at the vitriol the coup monger said in Bolivia when she took control. These people regard themselves as being colonizers still, and in her case, outright regard people of any native decent as sub-human.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    CooperTFN and Gamiel like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Based on that Antonio Banderas have been mistakenly been called actor of color and referred to as Latino do it seems that Native American blood have in practise nothing to do with it.

You are thinking of 'Hispanic' which refer to* Spanish speaking people, I said 'Latino' which refer to* people from Latin America
    * to my (possibly faulty) understanding

Was it not Galadriel who said: "The memory of Man is short"? No, wait, I remember that wrong, it was "the hearts of Men are easily corrupted", so what she said has nothing to with this, I blame my bad memory ;) :p

True, but we are not talking about what they identify themselves as, but what USA identify them as (I think, I'm not fully certain where this discussion have gone I admit, but that's where it started).

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I would suggest "Explaining Race to Gamiel" as a spinoff thread but then we'd never see this one again.