main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You want to explain that last paragraph a bit better? Because it's as clear to mud to me.

As to the issue, it'll sell fine. Marvel has been here before, they'll ride out the trolls and may get additional sales to boot.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I would definitely suggest rereading the prior couple pages, saber—we talked about that angle too.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Yeah I get it

I just prefer the binary thing to be a little discreet is all and having alien trans binary will fit and have a good science fiction kind of feel to it just like having a rock character is like a Dungeons and Dragons feel which is like a rune stone since the high Republic is like a new medieval feel to Star Wars.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't understand that word salad but I'm sure it's offensive. Also, binary is literally the opposite of nonbinary.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, still don't grasp the full meaning, but what I am seeing I'm inclined to disagree with. Particularly the idea of this needing to be "discreet".

6. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    My bad I meant non binary but let’s just agree to disagree about the comic book.

I just don’t want to turn this into a debate.

7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    It's a variant cover, and for Pride Month at that. The standard cover copies will sell just fine. And damn we have to be discreet even during Pride Month now? JK, that expectation is always put on us. [face_sigh]

Joystick Chevron and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's a Pride cover? Then there's no "debate" to be had to an even greater degree.

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  9. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I just hope for the best is all.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

has Marvel comics cleaned house with some of its editorial team yet?

last I heard some had ties to questionable characters

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How long ago are we talking Jid?

In any case, I'm referring to Marvel's clear policy of encouraging and promoting diversity in their comics. It isn't new and it works independent of any individual's personal outlook or position.

If you want to be cynical about it, diversity = sales

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

well I remember that some of the editors were following EVS and the last big shake up was when Fiege was given control of the creative side from Perlumtter who I know was not a good dude

and while yes diversity equal sales I see it as a positive that culture has shifted into a pro positive stance that even the most money grubbing of companies can’t ignore

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wait a sec, Perlmutter and Feige are movies, not comics. Hadn't heard about editors being dumb enough to follow EVS, especially with how he's gone off the deep end, but can well believe it

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Nope!

for a while Perlumutter as Marvel CEO did have comtrol on the comic book side and was responsible for a lot of the questionable choices made for years

do you wonder why inhumans became prominent...Perlmutter

it wasn’t until recently did Disney completely sideline him on all creative choices and gave it to Fiege

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Inhumans wasn't an inherently bad idea, it just wasn't done well. And to some extent that issue dates back to AoS and the early TV stuff being sidelined because of Feige, iirc. Not that I'm sticking up for Ike but I'm unclear what the assertion is here.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For this discussion, it'd be good to separate out the comic and film strands where Perlmutter is concerned.

On movies, it's known he was the main block on a Black Widow movie film for years.

On comics I heard far less. Marvel Comic's event habit has not changed for over a decade, becoming more frequent in the last few years.

CooperTFN likes this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Unfortunately the comic buisness and the movie buisness are more interwoven here

Perlmuttee elevated in humans in the comics because Fox studios wouldn’t play nice with X-Men when the rights were separate.

he even sorta had Fantastic Four marganlized since they didn’t own movie rights

essentially Hollywood politics interfered in comic creative decisions

Well after AOU Fiege was given 100 percent control of the movie side of things but Perlmuttee had everything else (comic and Tv) till recently

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that mess? Yeah, the Inhumans fiasco has to be one of the most blatant corporate decisions gone wrong going. Not that the X-books were in good shape at the time, they weren't, but the idea that fans would transfer from them to an Inhumans group of books was ludicrous.

FF went off stage for about 5-6 years courtesy of 2015's Secret Wars.

My Marvel interest tends to be on the quirkier, more mid-tier material that also tends to link into the diversity angle more easily.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yep that was all Perlmutter.

Also it was the reason why for years Marvel TV (Netflix and SHIELD) and the Movies (MCU) were "In the same universe in name only) and ONLY NOW are the TV (Streaming) actually matter.

It's also the reason why diversity in the MCU was a bit slow till after 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reason I see the comics as being different to film/tv are runs like Aaron placing Jane Foster as Thor 2014-18 and G Willow Wilson's 2014-18 Ms Marvel run. At the same time there's stuff like the Fraction-Aja Hawkeye and Lemire-Smallwood on Moon Knight.

There was a good amount of things that came more despite Perlmutter than because of him.

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's good to know what even when Perlmutter has creative control over things good still came out of marvel.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tends to be more on the mid-tier books than the big, high-profile corporate properies.

Not that that stopped certain fans going ballistic over a female Thor in 2014, even one with a built-in expiry. (Jane Foster had cancer that accelerated every time she became Thor)

23. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Hopefully the female Thor story will stick to the origin of cancer of Jane otherwise many fans are going to be toxic in unfriendly way. I wouldn’t mind the changes given that I don’t follow the marvel Thor since I may know a little more on regular Norse or Saxon mythology of not related to the marvel universe itself.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe marvel is different but I bet marvel has their fair share of misogynistic fans who will get mad no matter what

25. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Yup and even with Star Wars too.

I bet that if Kathleen Kennedy is done with Star Wars at some point and all the stuff that is going on with Star Wars they don’t like is done at some point and with new leadership, toxic YouTube fans will still find the new leader to bully.

Jeremy Griggs from geeks and gamers is a fraud because he actually pretends to be upset with Lucasfilm and the last Jedi because he did say off the record in an interview he loved The Last Jedi.

I am not even sure if he is truly upset with Star Wars at all and 300,000 subscribers give him money on YouTube anyways.