main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    Not to further derail the thread, but the fact that Lucas dressed the America counterpart in his Vietnam War allegory in Nazi iconography is fairly telling.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Ewoklord likes this.
  2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Owl House Today

Doubling Down by both Luz and Amity calling each other Girlfriend multiple times

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Dang can't edit so I'll just post this from Owl House today in spoilers

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Does it seem like the Diversity Alliance is an antagonist that Alt-Righters would come up with?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Not to be spoiler but Owl House and Amphibia while embracing the Found Family Trope are also going with the idea that the family the hero's had before is actually a pretty good family and there were consequences to leaving it behind.

Granted in Anne's case it was more of a accident compared to Luz

The latest episode of the Owl House REALLY gets into the fact Luz choose to stay in the Boiling Aisles

(Not sure if this has anything to do with diversity but I guess Diversity in family types???)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2021
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Just own up to the fact that you've appropriated this thread for your own purposes, Jid. [face_laugh]

vstarvan, CooperTFN, Daneira and 4 others like this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

oh I’m very aware of that but since these shows are lightyeers ahead of where on screen Star Wars is in terms of diversity might as well spread the word in the right places ;)

FS26 likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Might wanna ask why it is SW on screen diversity is so lacking by comparison.....[face_whistling]

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Easy most of Star Wars on screen material is written by white strait guys compared to these cartoons with diverse crews behind them who are far more willing to fight for these things

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And the people making the decisions to employ those who either cannot or don't want to write or create a diverse cast are Disney / LFL execs.

It's strange though, given what we know of Mando's directors.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    So, Juhani's story will presumably be revisited with new writers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Female Revan x Bastilla option

Daneira likes this.
  14. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I mean, when I watched the announcement trailer it fully sounded like the narrator used they/them pronouns for Revan. Admittedly she could have been referring to both Darths Revan and Malak, and that's most likely the case.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I know the writer of the remake is getting grief from the usual suspects....So at least in terms of modernizing that must be a good sign. For if the trolls are unhappy that can only mean good things.

Person who i one of the writer in question.

16. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    As I have been going through the new comics chronologically by order of release date, I can say with absolute certainty now that many of the early comics had mostly white male background characters when there was a crowd scene. This was especially the case for Imperials, although some Rebel crowds and human-specific planets had the same issue.

In late 2017/early 2018, there is a transition to generally diverse crowds. Even the humans within the Empire get shaken up quite a bit after this point. My guess is that this was intentional. It might not have been a command through a single memo or meeting at Disney, but it was a definite change in multiple comics by different folks. Prior to this, there were an increasing number of diverse lead characters; my suspicion is that 1) authors and artists realized that diversity needed to work across the board, not just lead characters; and 2) increasingly diverse authors/artists invited to work on comics intentionally made this change.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That doesn't surprise me I feel like just across the board even with non Star Wars stuff we were starting to see the shift in that general direction

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ryan Malin of Mynock Manor actually diversity-scored all the 2015-16 canon comics for me and found not a lot of difference from the novels' overall numbers (though notably one of the best-scoring comics was Marjorie Liu's). One thing comics capture almost by default that's harder in novels is the demographics of large groups, though, so that's an interesting observation. I wonder if their scores would have gotten noticeably better in the following years along with the unnamed characters; we talked a bit about continuing his scoring but the 2017 numbers didn't seem much different at first glance. We may have just missed something.

Daneira likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, there's a clear reason that you get the same crap from the usual suspects across multiple entertainment mediums from around 2017 onwards.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's also when my favorite shows that really started culminating in that diversity started coming on like She-Ra and I think in 2019 Owl House....I think Amphibia was 2018 i forget.

But in animation the good diversity trends began around that time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So i heard something interesting a while back, apparently one reason George approved of Thrawn in Heir to the Empire was because he apparently didn't mind having Aliens in the Empire and just said "Well just because we didn't see them doesn't mean they exist"

I wonder if Lucas was ever gun-hoe personally about the whole "The Empire is Human Only" thing or is it just one of those weird things Lucas sorta didn't think about

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Thrawn was at his best during the (original) Thrawn Trilogy, when he was the outright villain.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That doesn't answer my question though if Lucas really cared about the whole "Empire being made of only humans" thing or not?

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's the first I heard this. Where did you read it?