main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ill at Ease (Holdo, Leia) - friendship, sickness, banter

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jun 18, 2019.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: Ill at Ease
    Author: brodiew
    Genre: friendship, drama, humor
    Characters: Amilyn Holdo, Leia Organa
    Timeframe: 1 BBY
    A/N: I am getting to know these two in one shots before trying anything larger. I hope you enjoy this short ficlet.

Ill at Ease

Amilyn Holdo felt miserable. A searing pain shot through her skull at the slightest movement of her head. She tried to stay still as her mother had instructed, but it simply impossible and so the pain persisted. As if the headache were not enough, her repeated visits to the refresher were something she would never divulge to another living soul, Leia included. The very indignity of kneeling and retching while trying the keep one’s hair from being soiled was something even her best friend did not need to know about.

Her mother had sent for a doctor, but after all of his ministrations, Amilyn was told she would simply have to wait it out. The doctor had recommend sleep and plenty of fluids. They always said fluids, but they meant water. Plain, tasteless, and boring water. Drinking anything else would likely exacerbate the problem. She did not want that. What she wanted was for Leia to know how badly she was hurting. But that desire fought hard against Leia seeing her in such an unkempt state.

Oh, the hells with it! Holdo thought and reached for her comm unit on bedside table. Thumbing it on, she quickly input Leia’s frequency. The unit crackled while the connected was made.

“Amilyn?” Leia gently admonished. “Why is this transmission voice only?”

”Because I am ugly, my dear,” Holdo answered morosely.

“You are not ugly, Amilyn,” the admonishment in her ticking up. “You are just fishing for a compliment. Now turn on the holocom.”

“I’m afraid, I can’t do that, Leia. I am sick.”

“What does sick have to do with showing your face?” Leia asked. “You are just as lovely when you wake up as you are when you leave me in the evening.”

“You too kind, my dear friend,” Amilyn droned. “But I would never present myself unless I was presentable. And, repeated trips to the ‘fresher bowl would prove me unpresentable.”

“Oh,” Leia said, audibly sucking in a breath. “That kind of sick. I’m so sorry. Do you want me to come?”

“Of course I want you to come,” Holdo whined, pathetically. “I am miserable and could use your sunny disposition. But, no, I don’t want you to come. I can’t have you getting this monstrosity. It’s like a parasite is crawling around my insides.”

Leia chuckled. “You must me ill, Amilyn, dear, if you are calling my presence sunny. However, I would not dismiss the idea of a parasite. Rendalgo is not known as a bastion of hygiene and immunization practices.”

“It wasn’t Rendalgo, Leia,” Holdo declared, mustering her energy. “The doctor has already been here and said it nothing more than a stomach bug.”

“Bug certainly sounds like a parasite, Amilyn,” Leia teased. “I wish you would turn on the holocom.”

“So, you are saying you want me to have a parasite?”

“Of course not,” Leia replied. “But it is fun to push your buttons. Especially, when you are not 100.”

“You want to kick me while I’m down, is that it?” Holdo carped.

“I’m getting bored, Amilyn,” Leia retorted. “Time to go!”

“Wait!” Amilyn pleaded, switching on the holo comm.

“Oh!” Leia blurted, shocked despite herself. “I didn’t realize how desperate the situation is.”

“You are the only person I would ever let see…this,” Amilyn said, pointing at her haggard face.

“It’s really not that bad Amilyn,” Leia reassured. “But I would be happy to come and sit with you. Perhaps, spruce you up a bit?”

“Yes, Dear, come along, and quickly. But make sure you get the proper shots.”

“Which ones?” Leia asked.

“All of them, of course! I don’t want you getting sick. It’s bad enough me being down for the count.”

“You are hardly down for the count. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Kahara, gizkaspice, divapilot and 2 others like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] if this isn't a slice of life I don't know what is! A very unwelcome one, tbh. :p :eek: I'm happy Amilyn and Leia are so snarky and mutually supportive. :)

Kahara and brodiew like this.
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you for leaving a comment and being supportive, Nyota. I greatly appreciate it. These two are fun to write. They love each other and not afraid to call each other out. I'm not sure what I have in store for them next.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I really enjoyed this piece. I’m so excited to see someone wrote a story with Holdo in it, and to have that story be about her friendship with Leia is icing on the cake for me. I think you captured the quirks of her character really well here. This story does a great job of expanding on the friendship we hear about in TLJ.