main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'll see you again in 25 years" - The Twin Peaks thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 11, 2014.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Huh? Um............what?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ****ing beautiful.

The Trinity Test FTW.

Also, the "Woodsmen" appear to be similar to the two that appeared in the 'convenience store' scene from FWWM.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Showtime execs must be having some pretty heated discussions around the boardroom table.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    From the Showtime website:
    http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's their own fault, they claimed they couldn't afford any lighters.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Twin Peaks is all over the entertainment press thanks to 3x08, so I think they are not too concerned.

jp-30 likes this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm glad to see all the plot threads finally coming together. For a while there I wasn't sure what was going on.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I know , and it was staring us in the face all this time .

soitscometothis likes this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just finished me episode 14 of Season 2 now. From what I read, even though apparently ABC forced them to wrap up the "who killed Laura Palmer" storyline I thought it concluded at just the right time. While killing Maddie is a tad mean spirited, and I guess she really WAS just Laura's cousin, it's appropriately twisted that Maddie looks exactly like Laura and Bob/Leland couldn't help it. Actually, I think episode 7 of Season 2 has my favourite scene in the series where the crew is sitting around at the bar, seemingly having a grand time and Donna is singing along to the song with James and then everything slowwws down, disappears, the Giant shows up and tells Cooper "It's happening again" the the really horrific Bob/Leland & Maddie scene happens. What totally breaks me is cutting back to the bar afterwards and Donna is just completely bawling her eyes out and even Bobby looks sad just gazing off into the distance. Awesome "Great disturbance in the Force" bit, really memorable. The next two episodes after that are really great, Leland going buggity boo and when they interrogate Leland / Bob is just crazy. Very solid ending to that whole story and it pays off great.

After that, around episode 10, it is a tad more ambling than usual. Seems to have doubled down on soapy interpersonal relationships, like there's a lot about Andy and Lucy, although there are a few yuks in there. And I haven't seen any "Invitation to Love" cutaways! But any time Michael Parks popped up I'm happy and they seem to be ramping up the White Lodge creepiness. And Bobby's dad got abducted by aliens or something. Also, hey, Ben Horn thinks he's winning the civil war for the south which at least gets some funny reactions out of Bobby and Audrey.

So maybe 2 more weeks of S2, then Fire Walk With Me and finally into the new season, yay!

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, you won't see "Invitation to Love" again. There's also some characters that just vanish. Part of the problem was that Lynch was busy with filming a movie ("Wild At Heart", I believe). Story has it that one of the actors was called by Lynch when he came back from the Season Two finale, to find out why they weren't there - they told Lynch they hadn't been asked to be there! (Lynch made sure to include the person in the finale, BTW).

12. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    so my review of the latest episode :

wow , Jennifer Jason Leigh looks great , she doesn't seem to have aged in the last 15 years .

"You can't smoke in here "
    "It's a ****ing morgue! " best line I've heard in ages !

These 3 comedy cops are a bit annoying .
    Gordon's slinky assistant is very slinky .
    oh Shaggy from Scream is back , wondered what happened to him .
    Lots more clues , should I start writing this stuff down ? ahh , I'm sure smarter people than me are collating all this stuff .
    good tune at the end .

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Finished the original run! While there is definitely a bit of a sag after the Leland Palmer / Bob reveal, things do perk up in the last 3 episodes. The last episode, "Beyond Life and Death" is pretty bugnuts crazy, aside from Coop going into the Black Lodge, every other plotline literally either gets cliffhanged or blown up. As in literally. Like it's hilarious that Audrey chains herself to the bank in a moment of political activism and then there's a ridiculously long shot of the old bank guy trying to grab keys to unlock the door and then bomb in the safety deposit box and a huge explosion! And that's how the story ends! Same deal with Leo who is stuck in a lost cabin. And Nadie who suddenly remembers that she's not in high school. I'm not mad, actually, I like how crazy it is (And, y'know, Season 3)

But, that aside, the Coop in the Black Lodge stuff I think is pretty fantastic because it's so entirely bizarre and deliberately refusing to make sense (aside from maybe in small, sideways chunks). Like there's a shot of Maddy saying "Watch out for my cousin!" and then the next bit is the little red suit dancing guy saying "DOPPELGANGER!" So maybe Maddy really is Laura. I guess. I dunno. But me likey. Especially when Bob literally ate Windom Earle's soul, that was nuts. And the "How's Annie?" Coop is Bob ending, yikes! So while I could see people were ticked it's a lot of cliffhangers with no resolution, I still liked it for how crazy it was. "I'll see you again in 25 years" is fantastically gutsy considering there is a new season over 25 years later. And it's also an amazingly oddball line to say. But I don't have to wait 25 years, I only have to wait a few days.

Going to watch Fire Walk With Me literally today. Although I did hear there is supposedly some continuity glitches between Fire Walk with Me and the series although maybe I won't notice.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I want you to think long and hard about that last sentence you typed in the context of who, exactly, is the driving force behind the show you're watching.

JoinTheSchwarz and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh, just found out there's "Fire Walk With Me" and "Fire Walk With Me: Missing Pieces" (90 min feature length deleted and extended scenes) and I accidentally snagged the latter one, so watching "missing pieces" without the context of the film is kinda useless. So I guess when you add both up I still got 3 and a half hours to go.

But I found out Keifer Sutherland is in it! Nice! Huge fan, had no idea he was in this.

16. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    When you watch Fire Walk with Me, would you mind letting me know whether Philip Jefferies' scenes features humming/buzzing noises? No reason...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm going to post my review in the form of a message to David Lynch :

Dave, stop.
    Stop, will you? Stop, Dave.
    Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave.
    Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it.
    I'm afraid .

18. seattlemusicnerd

Dec 23, 2014
    in other words, "What are you doing, Dave?"

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fire Walk With Me is really interesting. Fantastic performance by Sheryl Lee, which considering you only see bits and pieces of her in the series, you get to see her run a total emotional gamut. She has this fantastic ability to swing from extremely sympathetic to demonically crazed and sometimes somewhere in between. One of my favourite bits in the flick she does is when Bobby shoots Mike and she sort of starts giggling and picks up a twig and taps him on the shoulder and goes "Bobby! You killed Mike!" Very oddball. I don't see anything in the movie that violates being a part of continuity to the series. Although, I will say, seeing Laura Palmer actually being victimized is really harsh to watch, considering they just sort of talk about it as backstory in the series but when you actually see it it's very dark. But, hey, there was a (mostly) completely disconnected opening 20 minutes that had Chris Issak and Kiefer Sutherland as FBI Agents and I'm a Kiefer Sutherland geek so it's fun to watch him be a dork. I didn't like how they swapped out Donna's, though. That's annoying, mostly because I actually really liked Lara Flynn Boyle in the role and the new gal didn't exactly have a sense of emotional rawness that Boyle did.The flick also lets you see a bit more of Leeland/Bob and I have a theory that "Bob" is only in the "driver's seat" for selective murder-y / horrific moments and Leeland is happily living his life unaware of what is going on. The flick seems to support that theory. Maybe.

Anyway, the Black Lodge scenes in Fire are dope and, hey, David Bowie is in there! But his bit makes slightly more sense if you watch "Missing Pieces"

There's also "Fire Walk With Me - Missing Pieces" which is 90 minutes of deleted scenes which definitely adds a bit more context to the film and has more appearances by characters from the show. The police station isn't even in the movie, which makes sense because it's Laura's story and they didn't know about her until her body washed up, but adding Missing Pieces makes it feel more like Twin Peaks than the sometimes nihilistic grind that Fire Walk With Me can be on it's own. There's a bit in Missing Pieces where Donna's dad tells Laura that she'll see an angel and weep with joy which happens in the original cut but this makes that beat pay off better if you have that context. Also Missing Pieces has another scene with Annie which takes place after the S2 finale where she's in a coma warning about the "good Cooper" trapped in the Black Lodge. There's an awesome bit in FWWM where Annie shows up beside Laura chattering about it but somehow seeing her in a hospital saying those words in "Missing Pieces" makes her random apparition in "Fire" make sense.The movie is 98% prequel but about 2% "holy hell! There's Annie! There's Coop! This happened after the finale!" As the little dude in the red suit sez "is this past or is this future?"

This should really be a 3 and a half hour cut, oddly, it would sorta fit together better.

I don't quite know what happens at the end, but Laura and Coop in the Black Lodge and Laura is weeping and an angel shows up. So maybe an angel saved them from damnation? I can dig it.

Or maybe not. Cuz gonna start watching Season 3 right now. I hope Bobby is still wearing the leather jacket that has a "T" on the back, that would be awesome.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    All I'll say is if your reaction to Bobby is anything like mine you're going to be in stunned silence for like five solid minutes.

21. seattlemusicnerd

Dec 23, 2014
    Does anybody wonder whether Special Agent Tammy Preston is working for Evil Coop?

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I to had never watched the show till I found out it was coming to Showtime. S1 is fantastic. S2 ep 1 took me over 3 mths to watch. There was a lot of turn offs to me in that early half of it but damn if it doesn't finish strong. Fire was at the time my personal favorite of the series. The R rating helped this series blossom getting away from cable restrictions for sure.

Now I'm and have been caught up each week of Return. Completely outstanding entertainment. The performances are beautiful! Adult language and nudity! Disturbing scenes/Trance inducing visuals! The tone of humor! The sheer number of original casts that came back after 2 1/2 DECADES and the sheer amount of big name STAR power in secret cameos! All this makes Return outstanding!

Return part 10 the current epi is easily my favorite of the entire series. It was full of win!

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Did episode 1 of Season 3. One thing I kinda noticed is that even though the episode itself is jumping around a lot (that's how Twin Peaks is) it doesn't seem to cram as many subplots and as much jumping as the original 2 seasons, there are only a few characters in the first episode. The only character I had trouble recognizing at first was Benjamin Horn but his big "BEN" wood carving at his desk helped. (for a minute I thought maybe it was someone else) his brother looks way different but is totally still that chatty guy. Fun to see the police station is still there, Lucy, Andy and Hawk is a hoot. My favourite stuff was how they used Laura's "I'll see you again in 25 years." as setting the place. The freakin' haircut dude and his gal who brought him coffee and the oddness of the big empty box (WHICH CAME OUT AND MURDERED THEM when they started going at it, that has to be a black lodge portal or something). The few shots of Coop in the black lodge. But the craziest detail was Bob/Coop (which I am assuming it is) who apparently has been running around as Coop for over 2 decades. Yikes, that's dark.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    "He's dead".

Ramza and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I am not your foot.

jp-30 likes this.