main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

I'll Trade You This Picture For 1000 Words -- Putting the "light" back in "light side"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by poor yorick, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    This is a takeoff on the Hyperspace members-only ?What?s The Story?? feature. There, they give you a picture of an obscure person, place, or thing from the films and ask you to write a backstory for it. The ?winner? gets his or her entry listed in the Star Wars Databank. They update once every few weeks.

Here, I?ll be posting a picture of an obscure person, place, or thing that looks like it *could* be from the films, and ask people to post a backstory for it. The ?winner? gets his or her entry listed . . . in their post in this thread. :p I?ll post a new image once a week.

The goal is to inspire plot bunnies, better furnish the fanon universe, get positive feedback for writing really short things, and to rip off a good idea when I see one. If you?re willing to let others use elements of your posted backstory, please let us know, and include any special conditions you may have. (Only with permission granted via PM, only element X and not element Y, etc.) Backstories without public usage notes are assumed to belong only to the author.

(For those of you with really long memories, I did try this idea [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/20032470/p2]once before[/link], as an adjunct to a thread that did not survive. Its main purpose seems to have been subsumed by other threads, such as the OC?s Anonymous thread, so I?ve locked it. I think the picture game idea is worth another shot, however.)

This week?s image (click the thumbnail for a larger version):

[image=http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3968/angkorwat0ya.gif]

Week 7/12/06 - 7/19/06

[link=http://members.aol.com/opheliamac/image_thread_voting.html]This Week's Voting Page[/link]

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This looks like fun! I might have to do this. :)

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    What a cool idea. Does it have to be exactly a 1000 words?

4. WHAT-A-WOOKIEE

WHAT-A-WOOKIEE Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    Oh, ophelia, bestill my pounding heart...I loved "what's the story" (rankes right up there with the caption game they had...)before Hyperspace gobbled it up & I refuse to pay for up to the minute details of a merchandising driven industry. O.K., enough venting.

Anyway, I love it; but just to verify: We post our own thread for the story, and the winner gets listed here in a winner's circle of sorts? Do we post our links to the fics here as though? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting...I'm not trying to be difficult, I just get easily confused.

5. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Count me in. What a fascinating idea - and that's one incredible picture you selected. I wouldn't mind going there one day.

Thanks for setting this up, ophelia. Very cool.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I love this idea. What's the deadline?

7. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I'll do it. Looks interesting!

8. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Oh, no . . . that was just meant to be the going exchange rate between words and a picture. You know--what a picture is worth. :p

I wasn't planning on having anything as elaborate as a true contest . . . that would involve finding a way of judging things, and I'd have a terrible time coming up with criteria! I was thinking of doing things more or less the way they do in the "OC's Anonymous" thread, where short snippets get posted in the thread and commented on, and the topic changes about once a week or so. If your background snippet evolves into a full-blown story, by all means post it in its own thread and provide a link.

I put "winner" in quotation marks as sort of an ironic comment . . . this thread isn't nearly as glitzy as inclusion in the Star Wars Databank. It's, well, just a thread. I hope people interested in competition aren't disappointed . . .

I have a rather dry sense of humor--perhaps I should re-hydrate it.

9. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanx for the pm Ophelia, I just got the whole thing wrong, sorry.

I really think that this is an great idea and I'm going to do what I can to participate.

10. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Wow. This is an awesome idea. Just for clarification, though--what sort of leeway do we have in writing stuff? I mean, is it kind of an anything-goes-as-long-as-it-uses-the-picture thing? Or must we conform to a stricter standard?

I'm excited about this. I have a few ideas for this picture, and I want to be sure what I'm allowed to write before I take one and start with it.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I think that's a wonderful idea!

12. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    From the Jedi Archives:

3850-2406-7719 Jannatheh, Temple of [also: Janathe; Janadhi]

The Temple at Jannatheh is one of the key archaeological sites on the planet of Tihurma [Tihurma and the Tihurmbandi 8241-1523-4047] in the Southwestern Rim. It is believed to have originally been constructed in the early years of the Old Republic and therefore to be between nine and seven thousand years old.

It is uncertain whether the Temple was built by the native Tihurmbandi or by a settler race, but the iconography found throughout the surviving portions of the site seems to place it as being the former.

Certain inscriptions, notably in friezes framing various entries into the temple, are near-complete; the language used is close to certain dialects of modern Tihurmbandi and in most cases describes the door in question and the rituals associated with it. Excavations at other sites [see 2981-8885-0331 Hamanghani, Temple of and 0557-5764-9129 Bharatheh, Temple of for further information] have enabled researchers to establish a clear pattern between Tihurmbandi sacred sites: the Doors of the Sun, the Fixed Stars, and of the Sacred Mystery are common to all sites that have so far been discovered.

The Temple at Jannatheh is possessed of a more turbulent history than other Tihurmbandi sites, having been partially destroyed - most probably unintentionally - by an orbit-to-surface missile in the wars accompanying the secession of its only inhabited moon, Ayandura [0409-6641-3953]. It was never reconstructed, possibly owing to local superstition surrounding damaged sacred sites, and in the middle years of the Old Republic was a temporary haven for a short-lived monastic sect practising Thamhata [8224-7685-1207] a faith blending elements of the native religion with Jedi philosophy.

The exact date of the Temple's final abandonment is uncertain, but it is known to have been unoccupied during the Sith Wars of the late Old Republic. It was rediscovered by a team of archaeologists during the Chancellorship of Reggeo Shu'hibu [7798-7840-1519].

[b]Note:[/b] All my Archive entries are what ophelia describes as "open-source fanfic". Anyone wants to use any of the information contained therein, go right ahead! Credit would be nice; a PM telling me about it would be awesome, but you of course don't have to if you don't want to. :)

>

13. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Anything connected to the picture goes, as far as I'm concerned. The point was to use it as a springboard for creativity. :)

JediNemesis--that was awesome; I completely buy that the Jedi Archives sound just like that. And I loved the "citations"--my only disappointment was that they didn't work!

Clearly, somebody erased them from the archive memory. :p

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going to do an archive entry, too, but in the form of a mission report from two Jedi.

15. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    That's a good idea, too . . . I hadn't thought of using that approach or the "info entry" one JediNemesis used. I was just going to be lazy and unimaginative and use plain old third-person omniscient. :p

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ophelia, don't let me catch you saying you're unimaginative again!

17. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    That's a really cool idea...but maybe I'll try just this summer cause right now, it takes all my energy just to post on my story :( But I'll keep watching, maybe I could get a lot of bunnies here :D

18. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Now this is something I have to try. I've already got a crossover bunny, though it's a shame because the only thing I know about Indiana Jones is the part where he gets chased out of that temple by that gigantic rolling stone. And I might just be making that part up too.

But something will come.

BTW, is the submission period over when the next picture's posted?

Edit: And the first submitted piece was so good, it actually had me trying to click on the blue underlined reference thingers to go to the connected page. Great job!

19. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Mick Jagger went after Indiana Jones? :eek:

Wait--it's only Mick Jagger's lips that are gigantic. Never mind. :p

And I'm not going to complain if people want to respond to earlier images--just let people know which image you're writing about, to avoid confusion.

20. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Mick Jagger went after Indiana Jones?

Wait--it's only Mick Jagger's lips that are gigantic. Never mind.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I just want you to know that my mom is the biggest Mick Jagger fan there could be. So naturally when I read this, I burst out laughing. Oh my. I think that made my day.

Okay, that's great. I actually have a different problem with this now - a bunny bit me hard and is turning my thing into something big. I'm almost done with the excerpt which'll be posted in a few, but it's going to take all my muscle to stop from writing more.

21. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Okay, here it is. As I said, the plot bunny ran away with me so forgive me if it's a bit long.

Note: This takes place a couple of centuries into the future. By a twist of fate, archaeologist Indy Hallow and Jedi Knight Zithra D'lorin have met each other at the ruins of what used to be the site of the old Academy on Yavin. Almost no one, except for a few, select members of the Jedi Order and some elder residents of the galaxy remember what used to lie there.

"Who're you?"

Uh-oh.

I lifted my arms up halfway in the air and turned around slowly, trying not to look like a guilty child caught in the act of doing something wrong. Taking stock once more of the things I had taken with me on this expedition, I realized that if I would need to defend myself I would be in big trouble. The only things that I could even consider using as a weapon were the expensive equipment I had just set up, and I wasn't going to go through the hassle of explaining to my insurance company why they had gotten damaged, and getting new equipment. There aren't that many places that sell these types of things you know.

Once I was fully turned around, I was able to get a good look at the intruder. She was wearing a long, black jumper that was loose around her legs and a long black overcoat that had dark purple embroidery all over it, and billowed out behind her, and long black boots with a heal. The whole getup would have made her look like Darth Vader if she hadn't been wearing blush that accented her high cheekbones on top of white face paint. There were two, red slits over the middle of her eyes and for a moment I thought the red was from blood -what sane person would be able to cause themselves to bleed?!?- but then I realized that it was just more paint. The paint effectively hid her age, but I was an archaeologist: it was my job to dig through layers of dust and grime to reveal the true age of ancient things. Not that I thought she was ancient mind you.

She looked at me with raised eyebrows - she was tired of waiting and wanted an answer.

"I'm an archaeologist," I said, then took a risk and lifted my right arm to the wide brim of my cap. She tensed, expceting me to pull a weapon out of it. Innstead, I grinned at her and whisked it off, then bent in a mock bow. Her muscles relaxed slightly, though she kept her eyes trained on me.

"Don't play games with me," she snapped, and I took an involuntary step back. The cap flew back on my head, and my arms went all the way up. "I can tell what you are just by looking at you."

Suddenly feeling self-conscience, I looked down at my own costume. I was wearing a tan, button down shirt that was a little too large for me tucked into tan shorts. There was a pocket over my right breast where I kept spare writting implements and pieces of scrap paper. I grimaced. I looked like one of those Taborian jungle explorers they used to have shows about on the HoloNet.

"Then why did you ask me that?" I asked.

"Because... I... ooh!" she said, frusterated. The grin reapeared on my face. This was the most fun I'd had in weeks. "Never mind," she snapped again. "What are you doing here?"

"If it's so obviouse, then why don't you tell me?"

Her eyes narrowed so the two ends of the red paint over them almost connected. Okay, so she didn't go for that.

"I'm here on an expedition," I clarified, enunciating everything as if I were talking to a young child. Then I spoke normally. "Excavating old temple ruins, no matter what race or religion they're from happens to be my specialty and this one is particularly fascinating. I want to know what happened here and how all this foriegn growth got to this planet. You know," I added casually, "I could be asking you the same questions. I was here first after all."

The woman stiffened and I could tell I had hit on something of a sore point with her. But to my surprise she relaxed again. "Fair enough - you did answer my questions. And you can put your arms down, I wasn't going to kill you."

Gratefully I rested my arms.

"I'm a Jedi Knigh

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    NIcely done JediNemesis .

So good is this idea, the mods have asked to borrow the idea and thread to run the occasional contest using her pictures. First one won't take place for a couple weeks at least, but through ophelia's kindness and graciousness we look forward to playing. :D :D

23. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    LMAO! I could make more jokes, but I won't because this is a family-friendly site. :p Plus I love Jagger too much to make too many digs.

spork, there's always that episode of "Family Guy" when the family's being chased by the quasi-Hovitos tribe. [face_laugh] "Uhhh...I think we forgot Meg."

Nem: Wow! Just like your other piece with Ionnas. I love that style. :cool:

24. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    LMAO! I could make more jokes, but I won't because this is a family-friendly site. Plus I love Jagger too much to make too many digs.

spork, there's always that episode of "Family Guy" when the family's being chased by the quasi-Hovitos tribe. "Uhhh...I think we forgot Meg."

[face_laugh] I haven't seen too many episodes of "Family Guy" but I could so see that happening.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

25. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    The idea of Indiana Jones--or some GFFA incarnation of him--on Yavin IV is really cool, sporkbewithyou . . . he'd love seeing that place. Appalling things would happen to him there, and it's always good when appalling things happen to Indiana Jones.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :p

The whole getup would have made her look like Darth Vader if she hadn't been wearing blush that accented her high cheekbones on top of white face paint.

Yes, Darth Vader was not known to be a major consumer of personal cosmetic products . . . not that he couldn't have used some. He looked kind of like an undead version of the Michelin Man. Yeesh.

[image=http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3038/darthmichelin2qs.gif]

"I'm here on an expedition," I clarified, enunciating everything as if I were talking to a young child. Then I spoke normally. "Excavating old temple ruins, no matter what race or religion they're from happens to be my specialty and this one is particularly fascinating. I want to know what happened here and how all this foriegn growth got to this planet. You know," I added casually, "I could be asking you the same questions. I was here first after all."

I can completely hear Indiana Jones saying that . . . from talking down to someone as if they were a small child to sounding like one himself: "Well, I was here first!" :p

How about we work together on this one?

This looks like the beginning of a horrible friendship . . . ;) I can see why you'd want to write more. If you do, please post a link. :)

Oy . . . I promised myself I wouldn't be one of the first couple of people to post here, since I wanted to leave the idea "blank" for other people to take it where they wanted to. We've got a couple of posts up now, though, so I guess I better get to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.