main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm from Wales, and I've made a Ghostbusters Proton Stream

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by SlackerDaf, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlackerDaf

SlackerDaf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Here's a proton stream I made in after effects, added to video of my fellow costumer/propper Rich Davies (who's wearing my flightsuit, btw) and wearing a 'stunt pack' we made from an old RGB pack sprayed black, with the particle thrower replaced with the GB foam grenade launcher (remember that little item?).

Sound is the gun sound that I think Ken Huegel made.

This was an effects test I just decided to make one day, and has properly inspired me to make a GB fan film that I've thought about for about 12 months now.

Here's a large version (10.8mb)
    http://rapidshare.de/files/1745427/streamhi.mov.html

A mid sized one (4.9mb)
    http://rapidshare.de/files/1745095/stream.mov.html

And a wee small one (236k)
    http://rapidshare.de/files/1745363/streamlo.3gp.html

2. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I seem to be having a little trouble with these links. It takes me to the rapidshare site, but there doesn't seem to be a direct link to your movies?

I love the idea of a ghost busters fan film. With the potential effects you can create on a home computer now-a-days, you could have something really, really effective!

Even a simple effect as making someone semi transparant would look great combined with the stream effect.

Hope you put up another set of links, I would love to see some of your work.

3. SlackerDaf

May 18, 2005
    Hi

What you have to do is click the link in my above message, then scroll down on the page that comes up and click 'free' download. On the page this takes you to, scroll down and click the link at the bottom of the page and this gives you your download. It's a pain, but the site offers unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth, at the cost of ads.

Hope you watch them,
    Daf

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Bit of an elongated route to get there, and you need QuickTime to play it, from the look of things, but, and this is the bit you've been waiting for...drum roll...most impressive. Well done!

=D=

Sith-I-5

5. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Wow, thats really good. As close to the movie effect as makes no difference.

Most impressive.

Tell me, how are your lightsaber rotoscoping skills?

6. SlackerDaf

May 18, 2005
    Thanks for the positive response.

I only did it as a short FX test to see if I could do it. Has given me the confidence to make a short GB fan film in the summer. Need to work on that pesky trap, now...

I've never attempted rotoscoping lightsabers. I might give it a go at some point. Do you have something you want me to do?

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Do I have something I want you to do???

GOD YES!

I've had this little test movie that I did around 2 years ago now. It was basically an editing test movie, something to cut my teeth on.

While most parts of the editing were highly successful, such as the lightsaber sound effect, scene cuts etc, I had found it almost impossible to rotoscope my lightsabers.

I have followed all the tutorials and yes, I can do it, but I must be doing something wrong?? Every frame of rotoscoping takes me around 10 minutes! And at 29 frames per second, you do the maths!!!

To this day I have never been able to figure out how to get the time down to a workable level? I've tried copying the last frame and pasting it on the next and then just tweaking it etc, i've tried cuting down the frames per second that the movie is rendered in, but nothing seems to get this time down to a level that I know people rotoscope at?

I just don't know what i'm doing wrong?? Theres no point posting on the fan-film forum as they will just direct me to the tutorials tell me to stop wasting their valuable time (not a particularly nice bunch, those people ;) ).

So this short test movie that I did is just me and a friend dualing on top of a mountain. It has some nice shots and came together quite well (those the dualing is pretty poor :( ).

Another Welsh poster did have a stab at it a while back, but only managed around 7 seconds before he gave up. The movie is around a minute and a half in length. If you think there is anything you can do with this, I would be forever in your debt and would owe you BIG time.

This is one of those projects that is so close to completion, its painful!

Hope you can find the time to make an old Chapter Rep very happy.

8. SlackerDaf

May 18, 2005
    I've never done it, but I'd be willing to give it a go for you.

Some questions, though:

What did you shoot the film on?
    What was it edited on? Program etc
    What format and size is the final movie?
    What program were you trying to make the lightsabers in?

Can't say how long it would take me, I've never done it before, and I'm doing a few things at the moment as well, but I'd be happy to give it a go. Email me at daffydd.turner(at)gmail.com to get a quicker response.

Daf

9. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I shot the film on min DV.
    It was edited on Adobe Premiere.
    The format is AVI and i'm going to have to check on the size.
    I tried to use After Effects to rotoscope the lightsabers.

If you think you'll be able to help out, then I would forever be in your debt and would even tell you few trade secrets regarding the force. For example, did you know it is possible to make a woman's bra fall off using the force??

10. SlackerDaf

May 18, 2005
    Hey

Yeah, I'll help you out, no worries. How do you want to go about this? Send the file over the internet, or burn it to CD and post it to me? We're both in Wales, so it shouldn't take to long to get to me.

Happy to help,
    Daf

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I think it would be easier if I were to send it to you over the net. It would be easier that is if my computer hadn't gone over to the dark side last night. I picked up a hell of a nasty virus from somewhere and my network connection has vanished into the ether. So for now i'm having to use my brothers computer as mine (including all my movie files) lays dormant and idle!

As soon as its fixed, which hopefully shouldn't be a day or so i'll sned you an email and we can arrange to send the file, possibly in MSN or something?

Until then, i'm going to get the Sith hammer out and batter my stupid computer and even more stupid virus software!

12. SlackerDaf

May 18, 2005
    ok, sounds good to me.

13. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Got my computer working again! Turns out it wasn't a virus or dodgy software, it was a dodgy internet wire in the back of my computer!

Feel kind of bad for hitting it with the Sith hammer now :(

Bugger, just remembered all those programmes and files I deleated!

Do'h, do'h, do'h!

I'll set everything up ready for tomorrow and we I can send the file to you then dude, if thats cool?

Cheers.

14. SlackerDaf

May 18, 2005
    Yeah, shouldn't be anything wrong with tomorrow. Do you have preferred times?

15. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Some time around 7 would be good for me.

That good for you?

16. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Welshguy, I'd be happy to give this a go for you as well. I've done it a few times in After Effects, and if we split the workload, I can then just send Slacker my ae file for rendering purposes. Might make things a little quicker for you in getting this finished.

17. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, sounds like a good idea. Thanks Jairen, your help is greatly appreciated.

7.00pm ok with you also?

18. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    Sounds fine.

19. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    OK WG are you around to transfer this file?

20. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Yep, i'm on MSN messenger. I've put your name in, but your not on line yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.